What now diesel?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Irvysan
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
With a: Manual box
Options: MY15 2.0TDi (150PS), 90% rear tint, Electric folding mirrors, Vienna leather, RNS315.

Retro Fitted : LOTS of plasticky bits from china and well since I ran out of characters for this bit look here : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19967

Re: What now diesel?

Post by Irvysan »

M7R wrote:yes.. E189 is basically the 2.0 TDi EU5 engines, so common rail 110, 140 170 bhp (The newer 150 and 184s are the new E2 something something engine, cba to find the exact number, but basically its a whole new engine and only shares the bore spacing with the Euro 5 engines). This is now also supposedly including the smaller EU5 1.6 TDis too, and one report I have read from the US (I have given up now as there's too much cut and paste reports not understanding the issues!) is stating that the EGR was also played with altering the amount of EGR duty cycle when on the road, as lower EGR cycle can give better throttle response and more power, but it raises combustion temps which is what leads to the higher NOx levels. This is something which if true could be used on the european cars, so the most you may have is a lazy EGR cycle, and that is yet to be proved, and may only be on certain cars depending which "brand" looks after that engine / chassis etc.

Short answer is, don't panic folks until there are some hard facts from VW as to what - IF anything - has been played with in Europe when the vehicles are on the roads, the worse you MAY see is a small drop in MPG (all depends on driving style and that will have a bigger effect I am sure), and possibly a tiny drop in power at certain times, however if you can tell ~5bhp (because that's will be all we are talking about, small figures not 40bhp tahts for sure) on a 140 or 170bhp engine then you are better than me on the arse dyno!
I don't know your source but this is what I have after actually contacting VW UK as a customer....

Current Official Reply from VW UK :
From… Volkswagen UK Customer Services

Subject: VW-2015/xx-xxxxx

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

Volkswagen is working at full speed to clarify irregularities concerning particular software used in Diesel engines.

Securing the trust of our customers and that of the public is and will remain of paramount importance to us.

This process will take time - time for internal clarification, time for an analysis of the circumstances, and time to initiate
technical measures.

Please understand that we are currently not able to specify which models (including details regarding years of construction) are
affected.

All affected vehicles are absolutely safe and roadworthy. The matter at hand applies exclusively to the emitted pollutants. We
will resolve this.

We will provide you with further information as soon as possible.

Once again, thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK and for your continued patience in regards to this matter.

Yours sincerely

Hxxxxx Axxxx
Customer Relations Manager
Volkswagen Customer Services Centre
Tel: 0800 083 3914
E-mail: customerservices@volkswagen.co.uk
Internet: http://www.volkswagen.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So unless you have people in the know, there is nothing to know just yet........
Viking
I drive a: Haven't decided yet
Options: None

Post by Viking »

Quite simply, look on VWs website and they give this information...

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/ne ... nformation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
Irvysan
Options: MY15 2.0TDi (150PS), 90% rear tint, Electric folding mirrors, Vienna leather, RNS315.

Retro Fitted : LOTS of plasticky bits from china and well since I ran out of characters for this bit look here : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19967

Post by Irvysan »

Viking wrote:Quite simply, look on VWs website and they give this information...

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/ne ... nformation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
Lol

Sent from my phone
Viking

Post by Viking »

They changed the link as a new "News" page has been loaded.

Or maybe not. Looks like they disabled hotlinking. Go to Volkswagen.co.uk and click "About us", then select "News" and the page is in there.
Last edited by Viking on Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Still doesn't work
Irvysan

Post by Irvysan »

Cuprabob wrote:Still doesn't work
I didn't want to say!

Probably this page he's trying to link :

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/news/company" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know about anyone else but I would rather speak to a company that I have invested a huge amount of money in rather than deal with press releases.

I have also spoken to their UK complains dept.

Sent from my phone
Last edited by Irvysan on Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun1982
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Post by Shaun1982 »

That link gave me the same as the picture posted.
Viking

Post by Viking »

See edit above...
Withnail

Post by Withnail »

I bought a Scirocco TDI 170 (11 Plate) back in March 2012 from a VW dealer. It was a great car but two years later upgraded to a Golf GTi. More than likely going back to a Rocco next March. It appears this model is effected by the emissions scandal.

Was I mis-sold this car? Great car but it appears it didn't quite fit the description.
Jimijokela
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Airlift Performance suspension, Work Emitz 10"x19", 10.5"x19", R-bodykit and exhaust, Mk7 flat bottom steering wheel, remap, carbon interior, fully working Facelift R bi-xenons.

Post by Jimijokela »

All i'm thinking is will i lose my remap.. :mad: If it's forced to do and without doing i cant pass mot.. Really hating this. Probably the remap is going to be bad for the engine too (just my two cents)..

Maybe changing it to 2.0tsi
CleanDiesel
In: Indium Grey
Options: 184 TDI, Dynaudio sound system, adaptive suspenion, electronic differential lock, 90% tinted glass, cruise control, winter pack, reverse camera, fancy phone linking up stuff.

Post by CleanDiesel »

they might be forced to swap the map but I don't see why considering it makes absolutely zero difference to the car. If the emissions in a test without the current 'cheat' are found to be in breach of eu regulations then they will be made to bring them in line. I think they'll do anything to avoid affecting mpg or performance figures as this will open up a can of worms and cause far more bother. The fix will probably be quite simple.

Don't panic anyway, this whole scandal is nowhere near what our sensationalistic media are making it out to be in my humble opinion. As far as I can make out what they've done is only actually illegal in the US.
Withnail

Post by Withnail »

CleanDiesel wrote:Don't panic anyway, this whole scandal is nowhere near what our sensationalistic media are making it out to be in my humble opinion. As far as I can make out what they've done is only actually illegal in the US.
It certainly wont put me off buying VW. It annoys me that I may have been potentially mis-sold a product so if recourse is available I will go for it. Then again if they offer me a good deal in March I really don't care.
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Withnail wrote:I bought a Scirocco TDI 170 (11 Plate) back in March 2012 from a VW dealer. It was a great car but two years later upgraded to a Golf GTi. More than likely going back to a Rocco next March. It appears this model is effected by the emissions scandal.

Was I mis-sold this car? Great car but it appears it didn't quite fit the description.
Was you mis sold?
Did it perform as it should. Did you get mpg close to what it states. I don't see how people can say I was mis sold a car. They didn't say your buying a scirocco and then went to pick it up and it was a Fiat panda.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
peter-h

Post by peter-h »

I wonder how anybody will be able to enforce ECU reprogramming - if you avoid a VW dealer.

What they could do is make the MOT conditional on a rubber stamp from a suitably authorised dealer saying the ECU has been reprogrammed, but there is no precedent for that in the car business. Maintenance is totally optional. If your car passes its MOT it doesn't matter if the oil has not been changed in a million miles, etc.

So I suspect that the govt will just swallow this, especially as it affects a tiny % of cars on the road. HGVs etc emit vastly more rubbish than cars do. And they will tighten the rules on manufacturers, to make it harder to do these cheats. You can bet more manufacturers will be implicated in the longer term.

In any case, if a reprogram reduced your MPG from say 55 (my long term average) to 50, a lot of people will sue VW over that.
Withnail

Post by Withnail »

whiteDevil_170 wrote: Was you mis sold?
Did it perform as it should. Did you get mpg close to what it states. I don't see how people can say I was mis sold a car. They didn't say your buying a scirocco and then went to pick it up and it was a Fiat panda.
Tend to agree with you. Will go with the flow as goes the lawyers and whatever else is mentioned in the media although I understand the situation completely different to that in the States. The car was a dream, it was a superb drive apart from the steering seemed a bit loose. Hopefully VW will be looking to give plenty of goodwill to loyal customers.
dantheleedsfan
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Post by dantheleedsfan »

Anyone who wants to find out if their car is affected can do so by asking on the live chat on the VW website, just found out mines not one of the affected this morning :yes:
anishjoshi10

Post by anishjoshi10 »

Yeah about to buy a car this weekend and its one of the affected. Don't think its put me off much to be honest, still going to be quick (2.0 TDI GT) just going to adjust the omissions etc..
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

anishjoshi10 wrote:Yeah about to buy a car this weekend and its one of the affected. Don't think its put me off much to be honest, still going to be quick (2.0 TDI GT) just going to adjust the omissions etc..
I think someone is giving you duff info as I don't think the diesel in either 140 or 170 guise in the Scirocco is affected.

You're right not to let the media hype influence your buying decision.
anishjoshi10

Post by anishjoshi10 »

Really? I gave them the chassis number and said its one of the affected models?
flashash
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Dynaudio, Dab RAdio, Factory Bluetooth, Folding Mirrors, Parking Sensors. Leather

Post by flashash »

In the news no one affected will pay anymore road tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk