When to buy... Opinions wanted.

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Post Reply
danielabbott89
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 3:33 pm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: 19" Lugano alloys.

When to buy... Opinions wanted.

Post by danielabbott89 »

Good evening.

I have been saving for a while now and I finally have a decent amount to put towards a 2010(ish) 2.0tsi. Initially I wanted to buy one during the summer holidays (July/August) but with the new shape coming out I was wondering would it be better to wait a few months and maybe get a bit of a discount.

What do you think? Any opinions?

Any will be much appreciated.
moulin12
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:37 pm
Options: Used to own a 1.4 160 DSG.

Re: When to buy... Opinions wanted.

Post by moulin12 »

Ultimately it will depend on whether you wish to forgo the opportunity to enjoy the car over the Summer, but I'm hedging my bet on good deals to be had by November, a month following the arrivals of the facelift and which is when I'll be looking for my 'R' Roc.

That there will be folks hanging onto their Rocs in anticipation of the facelift seems not only intuitively correct but also appears to be evidenced by a reduction in the number of available used Rocs. I have been monitoring the market for 2.0 TSIs (all models) through VW used and Auto Trader since last September, and my impression is that there fewer used TSIs round. (Might be different in the case of the more populous TDIs).

In addition, ordinarily, better deals through haggling tend to be available in the slower Winter months as the clock moves forward to the new start of year registrations, though screen prices tend to be only substantially cut in January. However, since the 'used' Rocs may have only been on the dealers forecourt a month or so following the arrival of the new Rocs, this may mean the dealer will be less inclined to entertain a good haggle, even in November. However, as said, I'm hedging on there being a healthy stock around come November.
danielabbott89
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 3:33 pm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: 19" Lugano alloys.

Re: When to buy... Opinions wanted.

Post by danielabbott89 »

I have also noticed a decline in 2.0 tsi's over the last few months. Most of the models seems to be the 140 diesel or the 122 1.4. I've had the idea of getting one at the start of the summer holidays for about a year now and I don't know if I could wait another few months.

I'm guessing that you're going to be waiting until November then? Wish I could afford an R version.
moulin12
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:37 pm
Options: Used to own a 1.4 160 DSG.

Re: When to buy... Opinions wanted.

Post by moulin12 »

danielabbott89 wrote: I'm guessing that you're going to be waiting until November then?
Yes, but then I have my current Roc to drive around in, in the meantime. To be honest, I'm not sure that if I were in your position I would/could wait until November :). I've had my 1.4 tsi 160 DSG for around 7 months and I still look forward to driving it every time I find an excuse to do so. Whilst there's lot's about an R that attracts me, it's no great hardship for me to take my time to find the right example.
danielabbott89 wrote: Wish I could afford an R version.
Even though I'm old enough to at last to have a bit of pocket money (mortgage paid etc) I shouldn't be thinking about affording what amounts to a toy, really. Maybe I'll talk myself out of it between now and November!

Good luck in whatever you choose to do. Best advice on buying I could offer is to find out how long the dealer's had the car. Some cars may have been around for two - four months, not because there's anything wrong with them but simply because of factors like original screen price, the particular model/extras or distance to buyers in the market. Knowing that the dealer is now wanting to move the car on presents a good position for haggling. Always (realistically) haggle!
Post Reply