deadlock

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Lamont
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

deadlock

Post by Lamont »

Wat does it mean check deadlock when I switch of ignition
murdoch
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: everything

Re: Thinking of changing exhaust

Post by murdoch »

It normally means there is a fault with the steer wheel lock on most cars.
eMiL-VR6
In: Indium Grey
Options: Media-In, RNS 510, Black windows and GIAC Extreme, 300whp+

Re: Thinking of changing exhaust

Post by eMiL-VR6 »

My car has told me this since i bought it haha.
Are you sure it's a fault?
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Re: deadlock

Post by trix »

How about we don't put this in a completely unrelated topic & try searching first ;)
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... t=deadlock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

trix wrote:How about we don't put this in a completely unrelated topic & try searching first ;)
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... t=deadlock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:nod: :nod:
roccopanda
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by roccopanda »

Won't be a problem with new cars though, will it? (Post week 45 2013) - aren't they doing away with deadlocks?
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

roccopanda wrote:Won't be a problem with new cars though, will it? (Post week 45 2013) - aren't they doing away with deadlocks?
Oh! Tell us more please.
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Yes I believe thats correct.
roccopanda

Post by roccopanda »

ZephyR wrote:
roccopanda wrote:Won't be a problem with new cars though, will it? (Post week 45 2013) - aren't they doing away with deadlocks?
Oh! Tell us more please.
Saw it in one of the threads here that the BW45 changes this year include removal of deadlocks. Seems a shame, but there must be a good reason?
ZephyR

Post by ZephyR »

Probably something to do with people being deadlocked inside the car in emergency situations.
On thinking about it I wonder how much use deadlocks are now as a security feature. I would think most thefts from vehicles involve smashing a window and reaching inside. Whereas theft of vehicles will normally involve someone acquiring the keys.
roccopanda

Post by roccopanda »

Yeah, good point. Glad rocco's aren't as easy to rob as the BMWs recently. I know a couple of people with an M3 and 335 who've had some trouble. What a cock up that whole OBD/cloning thing was eh?
rm0rgan
Options: SOLD

Post by rm0rgan »

ZephyR wrote:Probably something to do with people being deadlocked inside the car in emergency situations.
On thinking about it I wonder how much use deadlocks are now as a security feature. I would think most thefts from vehicles involve smashing a window and reaching inside. Whereas theft of vehicles will normally involve someone acquiring the keys.
It slows the thief down by the fact they can't open the door and sit all comfy while they rip your stereo out. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
<<<< He who laughs last, thinks slowest. >>>>
bitmadmax

Post by bitmadmax »

This:
rm0rgan wrote:It slows the thief down by the fact they can't open the door and sit all comfy while they rip your stereo out. :-)
Now all they have to do is break part/all of a windows and reach inside to open the door.

Despite this backwards move, it has been possible for to lock recent VW's without deadlocking by clicking the lock button on the key twice. However it seems Europe no longer want us to be able to make this decision each time we lock our cars :rolleyes:
Golf 7R
Gone: Scirocco R
VCDS available
bitmadmax

Post by bitmadmax »

Is the message the OP is seeing is actually something like "check safe locking" then that is not a fault - it is merely reminding you of the deadlocks
Golf 7R
Gone: Scirocco R
VCDS available
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

bitmadmax wrote:This:
rm0rgan wrote:It slows the thief down by the fact they can't open the door and sit all comfy while they rip your stereo out. :-)
Now all they have to do is break part/all of a windows and reach inside to open the door.

Despite this backwards move, it has been possible for to lock recent VW's without deadlocking by clicking the lock button on the key twice. However it seems Europe no longer want us to be able to make this decision each time we lock our cars :rolleyes:
I think you press the key twice to deadlock (or at least that's how mine works) - a single press just locks the doors but lets you open them from the inside - I think this is so you can leave someone/a child inside safely and lock the doors (while paying for fuel or something)
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

rm0rgan wrote:
bitmadmax wrote:This:

I think you press the key twice to deadlock (or at least that's how mine works) - a single press just locks the doors but lets you open them from the inside - I think this is so you can leave someone/a child inside safely and lock the doors (while paying for fuel or something)
Other way round, two presses disables the deadlocks and one press enables the deadlocks.
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

Yes, you are right - how odd - I would have thought a double press would make you dead lock it as that's how it is on my wife's car.

An industry standard would be better than simply eliminating them all together!
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

The single button press was chosen on the basis that pressing once is left effort and time than twice and most times the car is locked the owner will want the highest level of security available on the vehicle - only at times will they not require the deadlocks, perhaps due to persons left in the car - hence two button presses.