Rattle (exhaust?) while idling (warm)

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
carmanvw
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Indium Grey
With a: Manual box
Options: Mark 1 Golf Air Freshener!
VW Umbrella
First thing to go- big garage sticker from back screen

Rattle (exhaust?) while idling (warm)

Post by carmanvw »

Hi there,
I know there's a few previous queries re unusual noises in the Scirocco, but my 1.4 TSI with less than 10,000km on the clock, has developed this annoying rattle while idling and slow manoeuvring. Only seems to manifest itself whilst warm.
I've just had it in the main dealer, who couldn't find the problem, although I think that's a communication problem with that garage perhaps. Otherwise why would they need to click up 32km to check for a noise while the car is idling?
Stranger again, they replaced a wheel bearing on the front????
If I was rallying the car, that wouldn't seem so strange...,,,

So, anyone else got that annoying rattle. It's the second scirocco I've had, and although the Scirocco has its own peculiar sounds, which are regular and easily explained, this noise is just wrong and sounds like what you might expect the car to sound like after 10 years

Any ideas
carmanvw
VW Umbrella

Re: Rattle (exhaust?) while idling (warm)

Post by carmanvw »

Update
I googled and checked YouTube and its not specifically mentioned in relation to the Scirocco, but chances are this is a loose heat shield around the exhaust or catalytic converter, so the car's booked in again and I've had one of the mechanics listen to it.
It's become more understandable now that I've let a couple of people listen to the noise, that, bad and all that it is, people almost need to tune into it before they notice it, not being used to the car, but then once they have tuned into it, all are in agreement it's a crappy sound, and one u don't expect from a car less than a year old and with low mileage.
So, hopefully, this time it'll get sorted, and ill update for the sake of other members, should the same problem arise. I'd like to think its just something simple, as the slight "hunting" in the revs while idling may be connected and may be a sign of something else.
Come back, Sciricco #1, all is forgiven!!
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Put new spark plugs in 6 months ago. What sounded like an exhaust rattle at the rear slowly developed after a couple of months and grew in intensity. Could hear the "rattle" at the rear but the waggling the exhaust tailpipes created no fouling noises. It sounded like a jarring noise on the bodywork heat sheilds.

Decided it was coming from the engine. Pulled the sparkplugs and found an uneven set of spark plug gaps. Adjust all to the same, rattle noise in the exhasut has gone. No.2 and little for No.1 showed sooty deposits on the plug tips.ie. misfiring.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
carmanvw
VW Umbrella

Post by carmanvw »

Many thanks, that's a possibility. Ill mention the possible misfiring when I'm dropping it in to the garage. That coulf be whats causing the slight "hunting"- its not visible on the rev counter, but i can feel it. i think theyre kinda busy but if they stick in into the computer while its in, hopefully any misfiring will show up. I don't have as much confidence in the main dealer as I had in my local mechanic, but whatever it is I better try and get sorted while its under warranty. Just 2 years here.
Lets see how I get on next week.
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

The misfire did not register in the diagnostics. You could hear the exhaust fluffinng a beat at the tail pipe, and the engine at idle missing a beat slightly or on the motorway cruising at 2,200rpm missing a single fluffed beat, maybe once in an hours journey.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
carmanvw
VW Umbrella

Post by carmanvw »

That's interesting, I haven't noticed it missing a beat at speed etc, and wouldn't have noticed it "hunting" or "fluffing" as you call it, if I hadn't being switching off the "stop/start" to try to locate the rattle. But I also suspect that there may be a connection between the two.
It's still on its original spark plugs, not due first service yet.
Another thing that could be connected, which hasn't arisen in this one, but which happened in my previous Roc, was a few times the other one cut out at traffic lights when it should have automatically started, which I put down to possibly similarly, the car missing a beat, as you put it. Even once in an hours journey can be annoying when you know it shouldn't be happening.
Both cars are 1.4 TSI (122BHP).
Definitely, I'm gonna have it noted at this stage, by the main dealer.
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Your profile right states 1.4 160PS, would be heheplful its correct.

122PS has a software update for a rattle in that area TPI 2031250/1 - 31/10/12 for an underbody rattle cure. Go quote it at the dealer.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
carmanvw
VW Umbrella

Post by carmanvw »

Oops, sorted the profile - I assumed it wasn't an option as 1.4 TSI 160 was 1st in drop down list. So just checked it and rectified. Have to try and figure out how to add photo next. Cheers.

Only just spotted the software update you included there. Excellent. I know that's something the garage should really do if its in for a job, perhaps only when it's in for a service. Can't help wondering, though, how a software update could cure a rattle, but seeing how your adjustment of spark plugs sorted similar problem, that might just be the cure.
Many thanks- I'd rather they fix it by connecting a lead and tapping a few keyboard keys, than some guy resembling Jeremy Clarkson banging around aimlessly with a hammer..
Had a bad experience with another garage years ago- noticed a worse exhaust rattle on a 2nd hand VW Bora I'd had for only a week, so the main dealer sent me to the local exhaust fixer for a quick weld. But the guy did an incredible amount of hammering on the pipes.
Next day, a new worse sound had developed so I drove again to the dealer, and half a mile before I got there, the catalytic converter died. I don't think it stood a chance against that guy with the hammer. The garage did make good though.
Thanks again for the code- ill report back. :yes: :nod: :yes:
carmanvw
VW Umbrella

Post by carmanvw »

Update:-
Just got the car back from dealers today, complete with complimentary wash and vac, and the rattle does seem to be gone. I mentioned the software update, but was assured the car had been updated last time it was in. Thankfully, this time they had referenced the mechanic who'd listened to the rattle, and sure enough it was where I reckoned it was coming from, ie, just under centre of car near bulkhead. Appears the heat shield had not been put on properly. So I'm happy again. Amazin how a little rattle can take so much from your overall enjoyment of a car.

There are a few examples on YouTube of similar problems and easy fixes.
Thanks for help.