Fault Finding

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
JWM1992
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Fault Finding

Post by JWM1992 »

I was driving the car back from dealer (just brought) about 1hr into the journey I had 3 amber lights come on the dashboard (steering wheel, traction control & tyre pressure)

Got home check the tyres and all were at correct pressure, tried to reset button in the glove box but all lights stayed on, tried the steering reset (all way to the left, then right) it did make it go off but then I drove it the next day and it come back on after 10mins tried the reset and the lights stayed on.

Got it on a diagnostic computer & said its error 03803 (steering angle sensor for power assisted steering)
But they also mentioned the battery voltage was low...

The next day I drove it at lunch and the only light that came on was the amber steering wheel, stayed on for a 2days then at the weekend all the lights have gone out, and have been since.

Any suggestions on if it's battery or the actual steering wheel angle sensor?
Or narrowing down the fault?
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Fault Finding

Post by Cuprabob »

As you just bought it from a dealer, just get them to diagnose it and fix it.

Yes, if the battery voltage is low or you've just re-connected the battery those 3 lights come on until the car is driven a few hundred yards and the steering angle sensor calibrates. Obviously you can check the voltage with a multimeter, it should be around 14V with the car running but if the car detects low voltage it raises the idle speed to assist with charging. That is normally the first sign of the battery being on its way out.
bigkris06
In: Pewter Grey

Post by bigkris06 »

If it has been on a forecourt for a while the battery could have just gone a little low on voltage and when a battery gets low and needs a jump start or battery charging that can give several codes. So exactly as bob says.
Clear the codes for now, run it for a couple of days and check codes again.
If there is any issues exactly as Bob says… take it back to the dealer. It’s their responsibility to put it right.
JWM1992
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black

Post by JWM1992 »

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback, it's been about a week now with no lights coming on so I'm going to assume it must of been the battery, but I notified the dealer and will have to monitor it.
Thanks again!
bigkris06
In: Pewter Grey

Post by bigkris06 »

No problem. Hope everything stays good.