Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Oulton Park - anyone been?

Post by Kev »

I'm just looking at the BTCC events this year. I've never been to one before. Has anyone been to Oulton Park? Is it a good one to go and watch? Any recommended viewing places?
wensleydale
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
With a: Manual box

Re: Oulton Park - anyone been?

Post by wensleydale »

I'm a Marshal at Oulton Park, It's a great circuit, your best bet for touring car weekend is to get there early, use the main entrance saturday morning and park up behind cascades, you can see the cars from the avenue, through cascades out towards island hairpin and then back over hilltop and through knickerbrook. It's just a short walk to the pits/paddock.
On the sunday it can be chaos, there won't be anything on track until 1200, but it's still a good idea to get in early. The area behind cascades will fill up quickly, so it might be better to use the knickerbrook entrance and park up at hilltop, from there you get the opposite view to cascades, plus you can see the cars up clayhill and off towards watertower/druids.
These two parking spots will give you the best views on wet days when you just want to hide in the car, but you can walk all the way round the inside of the Fosters circuit (the shortestlayout), and you can view from the outside of the circuit from island to clayhill and from lodge to cascades, be careful with the lodge to cascades section as it is accessed by two flat crossings and they will only open if there is enough slack in the timetable.
Ozmosis
I drive a: Scirocco R
With a: Manual box
Options: RNS 510 Sat-Nav

Re: Oulton Park - anyone been?

Post by Ozmosis »

I haven't been for years to be honest, but I used to go to Donington, Brands Hatch and Snetterton when Rydell, Menu, Thompson, Muller et al were driving for BTCC. All of them are worth attending, and each for their own unique viewpoints...