Question regarding R engines

Everything about the R for potential owners.
DanAG
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Indium Grey
With a: Manual box

Question regarding R engines

Post by DanAG »

Hello,

What do you guys know about the 2.0 TFSI engines from R? What's the best option when picking an R?

I saw a Scirocco (03/2013 vehicle production date) for sale with CDLA engine code but I couldn't find anything related to this code on the internet. I want to know if it's problematic.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Question regarding R engines

Post by Cuprabob »

The R uses the older EA113 belt driven engine as used the MK5 Golf GTI and is a very reliable engine. Later facelifted Rs used the same engine but output increased from 265 to around 280.
DanAG
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Indium Grey

Post by DanAG »

Cuprabob wrote:The R uses the older EA113 belt driven engine as used the MK5 Golf GTI and is a very reliable engine. Later facelifted Rs used the same engine but output increased from 265 to around 280.
Thanks, I understand, do you know anything about the DSG gearbox too, is it good?

Also, the model I'm looking at doesn't have Dynaudio and suspension control, I guess those options were also optional for R?
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

DanAG wrote:
Cuprabob wrote:The R uses the older EA113 belt driven engine as used the MK5 Golf GTI and is a very reliable engine. Later facelifted Rs used the same engine but output increased from 265 to around 280.
Thanks, I understand, do you know anything about the DSG gearbox too, is it good?

Also, the model I'm looking at doesn't have Dynaudio and suspension control, I guess those options were also optional for R?
Yes, DSG is very good but it does have it's quirks that you need to change your driving style to get around. It's important that the oil and filter in the DSG is replaced at least every 40k miles. Issues with DSG tends to be the mechatronics unit which is circa £2k to replace but these days there are places that can refurb them for a few hundred quid.

Dynaudio was a cost option but I thought a 2013 R would have suspension control as standard. I thought it only became an option with the introduction of the facelift.