To Garage or Not To Garage

Info about the best cleaning products and detailing.

Do you keep your car garaged?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 14

RoccoR
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Cruise control,
power fold mirrors, LED puddle lights,
VW app. connect (Apple CarPlay),
full (blue) LED interior

To Garage or Not To Garage

Post by RoccoR »

I've had my Scirocco R about 8 months now from brand new and am loving it. My car is a big investment for me and for this reason I decided to rent a garage to keep it in. Although I have a private residents car park, I have no garage of my own. Anyway, I am now seriously considering giving up the garage partly to save money and partly for convenience.

It would be really helpful to hear your thoughts on whether you think it would be advantageous to keep the garage or better to give it up.

Pros:

- Shelter from the elements
- Securely locked away when I'm not using it
- Protection from dings and scratches from elements or other vehicles
- Storage for car accessories, parts and detailing items
- Save £70 per month.

Cons:

- Car exposed to rain, snow, wind: more need for washing, detailing to keep it looking good
- Less secure? I'm not sure it really is any more secure in a garage
- Garage is damp and I worry that keeping it locked up most the time in a garage may affect the car
- Loss of storage space
- Costly to rent a garage in the area I live
- Keep having to get the car out and put it away every time I use it. Garage is nearby, but it's not as convenient as having it parked in residents car park.

Thanks for reading the topic and I would really appreciate your thoughts :)
Last edited by RoccoR on Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra

Re: To Garage or Not To Garage

Post by Roy_01 »

I think it doesn’t pay off but when the parking spaces are very tight you get a lot of damage.
The difference decreases because repairs ain’t cheap.
Also you have a nice space to work on your car.
For air quality you can install some breather or something.
It also saves time and cost for detailing that is very time consuming.
That time you can also work and earn money.
Maybe it’s better to buy a garage as an investment if this an option.
RoccoR
full (blue) LED interior

Post by RoccoR »

Thanks Roy_01 for your reply. You made some interesting points. Here in the U.K. parking spaces are very narrow and that’s something I’m always careful about when parking my car. Fortunately the private residents car park have wide parking bays and there is no risk of someone opening their door and touching my car :)

The garage is only suitable for parking as there’s no room at all for working on the car. It really is a very tight space to get in and out of. Also there’s no water supply there so I’m unable to clean it there. The garage is literally a place to store the car.

Unfortunately I’m not in position where I can afford to buy a garage. But you made some good points. Thanks
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

I haven't garaged a car for over 20 years and don't seem to get any rust on them or paint damage. They're much more weather resistant these days.

As for parking dings I always park as far away from anyone else as I can and if that's not an option I go for an end bay so I can get well over to one side. Seems to have done me ok. I only ever got one ding on my rocco when I had it for 7 years.
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Paradox1 »

RoccoR wrote:I've had my Scirocco R about 8 months now from brand new and am loving it. My car is a big investment for me and for this reason I decided to rent a garage to keep it in. Although I have a private residents car park, I have no garage of my own. Anyway, I am now seriously considering giving up the garage partly to save money and partly for convenience.

It would be really helpful to hear your thoughts on whether you think it would be advantageous to keep the garage or better to give it up.

Pros:

- Shelter from the elements
- Securely locked away when I'm not using it
- Protection from dings and scratches from elements or other vehicles
- Storage for car accessories, parts and detailing items
- Save £70 per month.

Cons:

- Car exposed to rain, snow, wind: more need for washing, detailing to keep it looking good
- Less secure? I'm not sure it really is any more secure in a garage
- Garage is damp and I worry that keeping it locked up most the time in a garage may affect the car
- Loss of storage space
- Costly to rent a garage in the area I live
- Keep having to get the car out and put it away every time I use it. Garage is nearby, but it's not as convenient as having it parked in residents car park.

Thanks for reading the topic and I would really appreciate your thoughts :)
I would save the money.

Drive it & enjoy it.

alot of petrol stations have car washes now......not the ones you drive through, I mean the £3 for 5mins ones where you wash the car yourself. A decent detail will protect the paintwork from all weathers and make it alot easier to keep it clean in the long run :yes:
RoccoR
full (blue) LED interior

Post by RoccoR »

Hi Kev,
Thanks for your reply. It’s reassuring to hear from your experience that you’ve not garaged a car for that long a period with no rust or paint damage. You’re right cars these days are far more weather resistant.

Like you whenever I go to a supermarket or anywhere where I need to use a car park, I will look to use a end bay and park further away from the supermarket entrance. :)
RoccoR
full (blue) LED interior

Post by RoccoR »

Hi Paradox1,
I agree with you totally about driving it and enjoying it. It’s a lovely car and spends too much time stored away. I’ve started using it more.

Interesting you should mention the £3 car wash. I’ve been using the jet wash at my local Fuel garage and it only cost £2 for the basic one. I never, ever use the brush. My mate, who has a Golf R, gets his car detailed monthly and because it’s built up so many layers of wax it’s easier to clean, plus protects from the elements. I’m going to start doing the same :yes:
Psycho Kirky
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: MODS-
K&N Typhoon Induction kit
BCS Powervalve custom sport TBE
REVO Stage 2 remap
Airtec Stage 2 Intercooler
Forge diverter/recirculation valve
Sachs Performance clutch
'Heavy Set' silicone hoses
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

Euro cars handle bad weather better these days to be fair. Mines been outside since 2013 bar a couple of weeks while polishing ect. It could be worth having it professionally undersealed for max protection or DIY with hammerite or similar products.

Keeping a car clean is tedious especially in winter as we all know but worth it if done safely ie no scratching using the correct products (no sponges, atleast 2 buckets and clean microfibre drying towels).

Try a good quality wax or ceramic coating for paint protection from the elements. Auto Finesse are a good go to for detailing and halfords sell lots of their products.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk