right headlight (and spot / indicator) gone

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
maddison
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

right headlight (and spot / indicator) gone

Post by maddison »

Hi all, i have a 2009 scirocco TDI

just noticed the right headlight has gone off
both hi and low beam not working, also noticed the spot light and indicator on the same side not working (but the side light is)

pulled the headlight plug and the hi & lo beam supplies have very minimal voltage )about 0.4 - nowhere near 12v or whatever they should be getting)

arghhh..its driving me nuts

checked bulbs, can't see any obvious fuse issues, seems off that its just the front right side thats at issues (instrument warning light is on and it does tell me the right hi / lo / spot are not working - which i of course know about)

any ideas ????
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: right headlight (and spot / indicator) gone

Post by Cuprabob »

One thing you could try is disconnecting the battery and reconnecting after a short period. This will reset the control module just incase it has shut the circuits down for one reason or another.

Also, do you get a "bulb(s) out" warning on the dash?

Double check the earths in that area just incase they are corroded. There might be a common ground for those circuits. There are wiring diagrams available on the forum so see if you can find them and find out what is common to all those circuits, like a connector or earth.

Sadly, the days of simple circuits protected with a fuse are gone making diagnosis of issues like this difficult. If the control module detects an issue it will shut the circuit down therefore checking the voltage with a multimeter doesn't always give you what you expect.
maddison

Post by maddison »

thanks for the reply

yes, the dash is telling me the main, dipped and spot lights are not working

just tried disconnecting the battery for a while, hoping that may work
it didnt

will try searching a wiring diagram
maddison

Post by maddison »

sorted, I knew there had to be something simple for one side not working while the other side did
so, having removed the headlight, re-soldered all the connections, 4 hrs chasing wires this is what i did

replaced fuse 16 in the engine fuse box next to the battery LOL this controls all the right side lights

what a plank
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Glad you got it fixed :)