Screeching noise coming from engine

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Lanas012
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
With a: DSG box

Screeching noise coming from engine

Post by Lanas012 »

Hi guys, I have a 09 plate 2.0/tsi scirroco and I have a really bad screeching coming from the engine, it wasn't there this morning, but I drive 100 miles and it's getting louder and louder. There's no performance issues, but it's so loud its unbearable .any ideas.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Screeching noise coming from engine

Post by Cuprabob »

Does it happen when the car is stopped and you rev the engine? If so check the auxiliary drive belt is not slipping.

If not, check that one of the brakes is not binding, particularly the rear as very common for a caliper to stick. The brake that is binding will be very warm. Also the noise will disappear if you touch the brakes.

You can also get stones stuck between the disc and the backing plate, which can cause screeching.
Lanas012

Post by Lanas012 »

I pulled over, engine still running, and still does it, I did a video of it, but can't upload it.

I think kgs coming from belt or pulley as when you accelerate it momentarily stops and on cold its not there.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Try switching off the air con, if selecteted, to rule out the A/C compressor.

My guess is it's the water pump, which I believe on the 2.0 TSI, is driven off a different belt to the alternator and A/C compressor.
Lanas012

Post by Lanas012 »

Thanks guys for your info. Just taken it to a random garage as in working away and don't want it snapping on way home. First thing he did was tell me to put AC on, wasn't that. Said it could be a pulley or alternator will find out tomorrow and see what he says.