1.4 tsi 2011 help!!!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Ess.Rocco
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

1.4 tsi 2011 help!!!

Post by Ess.Rocco »

Hi all,
First of all I’m sorry if this isn’t posted in the correct place etc, I am new here.
Right, so..... I recently bought a black scirocco 2011 1.4 tsi manual 160hp in September 2020. All was fine and I was loving the rocco, however recently (around 30th December) the engine light came on along with the EPC light, the car starting sounding funny and was driving EXTREMELY sluggish and was quite jittery - especially when idle (around 800-900rpm which seems low as I remember it was around 1.1k before), I can feel the whole car shaking. After taking it to a local mechanic - he told me to replace the ignition coil and spark plugs. I bought those parts and got them fitted along with an oil change and filter change.
The guy who changed these for me told me he thinks the issue is with the turbo or some sensor (sorry I don’t really remember now), anyways so I drove home and it seemed fine for the first few minutes when again the engine light and the epc light both came on and the car again became really shaky and sluggish. It seems everyone I speak to seem to think it’s a different issue everytime, so I am basically just wondering if any of u guys with a bit more knowledge know what’s up with my car? I understand that it could be a variety of issues but if I could narrow it down that would help me a lot. I’ve only had the car under 4 months and was really enjoying driving it till this happened.
Bit more info that may help - whenever I first start the car it seems to be fine for around 1 minute untill the issue occurs again. Also, the exhaust gives out a thick smoke whenever this issue first occurs, however if I carry on driving, once the car is warm the smoke doesn’t seem to show and the car drives a little smoother however still very sluggish.
Please let me know if there is any more info I can give to help and I would really appreciate any clues you guys may have.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: 1.4 tsi 2011 help!!!

Post by Cuprabob »

If you haven't done so already, you need to see what fault codes are stored and which are triggering the EML and EPC light. The EPC light normally indicated an issue with the fly by wire throttle control whether it be the throttle pedal potentiometer or the throttle body. Ideally you want someone with VCDS but some generic fault code readers can help.

In most cases misfires are caused by the coilpacks or the plugs however the 1.4 twin charger engine can also suffer from compression related issues also leading to misfires. A compression test on each cylinder check for this. The fault scan would also identify which cylinder(s) the misfire is happening.

I would suggest finding a local VW indie who is familiar with the twincharger engine and the common issues relating to this engine.
Ess.Rocco

Post by Ess.Rocco »

Thank u CupraBob I appreciate ur help, I do actually have a carista reader and did get a few fault codes, I will post them up once I find them
Ess.Rocco

Post by Ess.Rocco »

Right so unfortunately I have lost the screenshot I took of the fault codes when I had full access to carista (obd reader thingy) my free trial has expired so can only see this one fault code which is showing a misfire in cylinder 3, the others require me to pay to view. I do remember another fault code I had which was something to do with underboost and said something like supercharge A has excessively low output.
eenbadendaap
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Dark Oak

Post by eenbadendaap »

Sorry to hear that ! I had some issues where I couldn't drive harder then 100km/h and found out it was the turbo (1.4 tsi 122hp) so that was quite an easy but expensive fix.

I would go with Cuprabob's advice, go to a local VW indie to be more sure what the issue is.

Keep us updated !
BishBashBacon
In: Salsa Red

Post by BishBashBacon »

Unfortunately I am in the same boat after only performing 227 miles with mine. Luckily, I have spoken to Citizens Advice and under the Consumer Rights Act, 2015 you are entitled to either a replacement or repair. Send the company you bought it from an email stating you would like them to fix it with no cost to yourself. Ask what their complaints procedure is, if they are a member of an ADR scheme and if they are not, are they willing to use a non-membership scheme to dispute the problem.
If they accept this and fix the problem, if the vehicle in question breaks again, you can ask for some of the money back.

I hope this helps.