ipod question.

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
dougroc
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box
Options: heated leather seats

ipod question.

Post by dougroc »

I leave my ipod in the car at all time to act as a hard drive for playing my music. When i get in the car, the ipod is often flat and takes about 5 minutes b4 it becomes available. Should the ipod be switching off when the car is turned off and therefore retain its charge, or should I have to be manually switching this off each time and therefore make it probably not worth leaving it in there?

Thanks for your help.
Ryy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
With a: Manual box
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Re: ipod question.

Post by Ryy »

I used to use the iPhone, before I got a Galaxy S (which won't connect at all! Doh), of course, being a phone, I'd take this with me. But it's the same principle. The car won't turn off your iPod for you. You will need to do this yourself.
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

An ipod should put itself to sleep if it's not being used though. Mine doesn't keep playing when I'm not in the car.

Are you sure the ipod isn't knackered?
dougroc

Post by dougroc »

Ipod being knackered is quite possible yes. Its pretty old, maybe that answers my question.
jammyd
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Bluetooth, Cruise Control... and a button in the roof which does not do anything! oh and I have just found I have TPMS which I did not order!

Post by jammyd »

If I do not drive for a few days ( or sometimes a whole week!) mine too goes flat, but if I am using the car daily it is normally ok. I find my ipod is a little dodgy, the one on the car is my old 30Gb one, now about 5/6years old!

2011 Rising Blue 170GT TDI DSG (its on my drive!)
2010 Candy White Roc Now Gone :(
2008 Meteor Grey TT TDI
2005 Deep Blue Golf GT TDI
The Cars before do not matter!
caprinolaw
In: Candy White
Options: Bi-Xenon Headlights, Cruise Control, Scirocco Floors Mats, Boot Liner

Post by caprinolaw »

jammyd wrote:If I do not drive for a few days ( or sometimes a whole week!) mine too goes flat, but if I am using the car daily it is normally ok. I find my ipod is a little dodgy, the one on the car is my old 30Gb one, now about 5/6years old!
I use this same iPod and experience exactly that. Even when it's flat though it takes no longer than 20 seconds to come back to life.
Jay.

30.06.2010 - Rocco ordered.
09.09.2010 - Rocco delivered.
dougroc

Post by dougroc »

Due to surgery I have been driving the car quite sparingly anyway. So perhaps once I am driving it every day it will work better. :-)
GaryUFM
Options: Panoramic Sunroof
Folding Door Mirrors
DAB Radio
Parking Sensors
Cruise Control

Post by GaryUFM »

New iPod question: I've only previously played iPods/MP3 players through an aux cable in the car (3.5mm headphone jack at each end: headphone-out to aux-in). Was quite excited when I found out my Scirocco would let me control th'iPod through the radio interface.

However...currently on a hire car while I await my delivery. Got a 207 and this has an iPod to USB connector and allows controls through the radio interface too, but only as far as skipping to the next track or navigating the folders. There was no way I could just stick it on random and go with the flow - which is what I normally do.

Is this possible with the Scirocco's interface?

Cheers.
Kev
Administrator
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

The scirocco has 3 points of input.

- Aux in socket on the front of the arm rest
- USB socket in the armrest cubby hole
- ipod socket in the armrest cubby hole

I haven't tried the aux but the other two bring up playlists on the screen and you can choose which to play. Then I tend to hit the mix button on the screen and it'll randomise the tracks in that folder. You can see the artist/track name on the screen and on the display (MFD) next to the speedo. With the up/down arrows on the steering wheel you can jump to the next/previous track and hold it down to fast forward/rewind.

So you should see your track list names and also one of all the tracks on the ipod. If you want to listen to a specific set, choose the tracklist. If you want a mix of everything on it, just choose the ipod name (it comes up as a track list name) and that is all the tracks on it in one big list.
GaryUFM
Options: Panoramic Sunroof
Folding Door Mirrors
DAB Radio
Parking Sensors
Cruise Control

Post by GaryUFM »

Happy days! Cheers Kev. ;)