More Than Just A Bit Of Metal !!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
teejay212
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: 19"Luganos,Panoramic Roof,SatNav,Dynaudio,Parking Sensors,Winter Pack,Cruise Control,Electric Folding Mirrors,Flat Tyre Ind,Rieger R8 Front Bumper & Side Skirts,Oettinger Rear Skirt,Jetex Quad Exhaust,Lowered 25mm,Full Blue & Black Leather Interior & Colour Coded Interior Trims.

More Than Just A Bit Of Metal !!

Post by teejay212 »

Handed over my pride and joy this morning to a storage facility and must admit I had a tear in my eye as I drove away. We are flying out to Perth, Australia next week for 4 years and was in a predicament what to do with my Scirocco - I had ordered it in Jul '09 - delivered 01-Mar-10 with a full Reiger conversion only to get a job in Australia in Jul '10. If I had sold it I would have lost a lot of money and anyway after customising it so much I didn't want to get rid of him as he gives me so much enjoyment. So with 7,499 miles on the clock he is getting put in a bubble for the next few years. I had tried to import him into Oz but it was going to cost me £7,000+ and you can only keep it in the country for 12 months - so that was a no-brainer !! The bottom line is - I have loved my Scirocco for the short time I have had it and I can look forward to coming back to the UK and driving him again in a few year's time. TJ
Panoramic Sunroof, Dynaudio Sound, Rear Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Premium Fitted Mats And A Few Niche Add-Ons !!![/b]
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Re: More Than Just A Bit Of Metal !!

Post by Chungster »

how much is that gonna cost storing it for 4 years??
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

Thats dedication, i would sell it personally, the depreciation over 4 years and storage costs would make it a no brainer for me, plus sitting for 4 years wont do it much good
GeoffT
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors from factory. Added RNS 510 and Fiscon Bluetooth. Replaced RNS510/Fiscon BT with Eway842P Android headunit

Post by GeoffT »

Have to agree with 182, after 4 years completely static goodness knows how many bits will be seized on it. Plus it will be probably be worth less than half it's current value. If it is not too late to change your mind I would sell it. In 4 years time the same money, even without interest, will get you a much better car than yours will be coming out of storage. I am attached to my Roc too, but I would not got that far. Sounds like a really bad idea to me, sorry.
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

That car will look serisouly naff in 4yrs time with the bodykit fitted.

Its also not anything rare or special, cut your losses and get rid, storing rather than selling it is possibly the WORST financial decision you could have made.
skippy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Yes - I am afraid I have to agree with the other comments here, after 4 years it will probably cost a lot of money getting the car roadworthy again. Things like brakes will need a service, lubricants would have conjealed within the pipes because of lack of movement and possibly cause damage, various seals in the engine may have deteriorated etc. etc.

I hate to be negative here, but hard though it is, I feel that selling the car is the best option here. I don't think it will be the same car again in 2015. :(
skyblues11
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

after 4 years, all the love would have been diluted to nothing. Especially if you find another 'love' in Oz.

if you can Teejay, sell it and forget it. in 4 years time technology would have moved on. By then, the DSG maybe voice operated.

when you get to Oz, try run a japanese pickup or holden saloon.
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

As said above sell it and forget it

In fact if you are in Oz for 4 years you might want to put an order into VW now for a replacement and you'll only have a few months to wait for it to be delivered when you return in 4 years. :)
andyd68
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Pewter Grey

Post by andyd68 »

Personally I would just sell your 'roc as its only a car. As other posters have said how much will you still love it in 4 years time and that bodykit could you seriously dated. But each to their own as they say.

Enjoy Perth - it's a lovely city
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

Yep I'd sell and get another new one when you get back.
simc
In: Viper Green
Options: leather;winter pack;reversing sensors

Post by simc »

Cuprabob wrote:As said above sell it and forget it

In fact if you are in Oz for 4 years you might want to put an order into VW now for a replacement and you'll only have a few months to wait for it to be delivered when you return in 4 years. :)
So true :nod:
iAmbu
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

Sell it
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1