Gritters

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Jacktherat

Gritters

Post by Jacktherat »

Last edited by Jacktherat on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scirocco Bhoy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Sumatra
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors, Premium Mats, Dynaudio

Re: Gritters

Post by Scirocco Bhoy »

i hate them. i know they serve a very important purpose but dont like how dirty it makes the roads.

even worse than driving behind one is when one comes the opposite direction towards you. You cant really get out of the way and you just hear the side of the car getting peppered with grit! At least if you're behind one you can sit back a bit from it
Richard A
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: SatNav, Winter Pack, Flat Tyre Indicator, Bi-Xenons

Post by Richard A »

Personally I would prefer a 'use winter tyres and care' approach, rather than a 'thousands and thousands of tons of salt leeching into the soil and water courses every year' approach, but I guess that's not the British way.
Scirocco Bhoy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Sumatra
Options: Parking Sensors, Premium Mats, Dynaudio

Post by Scirocco Bhoy »

Richard A wrote:Personally I would prefer a 'use winter tyres and care' approach, rather than a 'thousands and thousands of tons of salt leeching into the soil and water courses every year' approach, but I guess that's not the British way.
we fortunately (or unfortunately) dont have a climate for that. We probably get about a dozen "snow" days in UK every year. that doesn't really justify the use of snow tyres. Also the roads are more than likely not built to withstand the constant use of snow tyres on them. I work a lot in Norway and I believe it is compulsory for them to use snow tyres from about october/november right through to april.

i think attitudes of drivers in the UK would lead to them thinking that just because they have snow tyres the can go as fast as they like in icy conditions, a bit like some folk in 4x4s.
chojin
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
Options: Rear Park Assist
Cruise Control
Floor Mats

Post by chojin »

I drove round Norway in march (absolutely stunning country), but it amazed me how fast the locals drive on roads laden with black ice - now i'm no slouch and would consider myself fairly confident as a driver, but I had people overtaking me on said black iced, winding single-lane mountainous roads at about 80mph!

Mental.
Ordered: July 6th
Build week: 45 - Took delivery build week 48
Spec: GT TDI140, Candy White, Rear Parking Assist, Cruise Control, Factory Mats.