HELP - Snapped coilpack eyelet cable

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
PM91
I drive a: R-Line
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

HELP - Snapped coilpack eyelet cable

Post by PM91 »

Hi guys,

I was fitting my new induction kit and the moment I put torque on the 10mm nut to get off the eyelet grounding cable it just snapped like it was made of nothing.

What are my options here in getting this fixed.

https://ibb.co/vDr8bYb

Also excuse the silly question, I assume I shouldn't start the car up with this not connected yes?

Appreciate any responses.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: HELP - Snapped coilpack eyelet cable

Post by Cuprabob »

Assuming the length of the wire is OK, just crimp on another suitable diamater eyelet and bolt onto the earth point.
PM91

Post by PM91 »

Thank you, very good idea.

I checked and there is a good bit of give on the cable so I think that might work.
PM91

Post by PM91 »

Yeah the cable is completely fucked and throwing up an EPC/Check Engine error even after mending it with a crimp.

I could drop the cash and buy this which looks to fix all of the eyelet cables but it's a steep buy in. - https://www.awtuning.co.uk/products/ea8 ... 0876616901

Does anyone know the part number for the ground P1-2 RAYCHEM cable that I could just buy and replace it? -
bigkris06
In: Pewter Grey

Post by bigkris06 »

Are you sure that’s the cause of your issue? The repair looks to be fine in the picture, 99.99 for a replacement earth cable is ridiculously expensive too!
Are you able to check the codes and confirm this is your issue?
PM91

Post by PM91 »

Sorry not sure why Imgur cropped that photo.

It's missing the broken cable, the one you see is an untouched one.

This is the broken one.

https://ibb.co/FBTKvpZ

And unfortunately yes this is the source of the fault since this wasn't an issue prior to changing the cold air intake and snapping this wire.
bigkris06

Post by bigkris06 »

Can you trace the wire back under the plastic and rejoin somewhere in there? It is simply an earth and as long as you have continuity and it is of at least the same size it will be fine. I would still advise checking your codes though as although it only happened when you did the job it may not be the cause. Without meaning to sound rude you may have disconnected something and not reconnected it or disturbed something while doing the job.
PM91

Post by PM91 »

Yeah I'm siding with caution here and ordered an obd scanner which should arrive tomorrow.

Will take a look at the error codes first and see what they say.

For now the car is running fine but I'm not happy with leaving the EPC/check engine lights there.
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

If the car is running fine albeit with the EPC / EML on then the wire must be fine. If it was not the car would at best be running rough and at worst not start at all.

EPC light being on normally either points towards an issue with the throttle pedal or the throttle body. As you fitted a CAI the throttle body would be where I would be looking.

You could try disconnecting the battery to reset the lights and see if the come back on again. If you, just be aware on first start up the ABS, ESP and steering lights will not go off until the car is driven a short distance and the steering angle sensor calibrates. Just so you don't panic :)
bigkris06

Post by bigkris06 »

Exactly as Bob says, alternatively you can cycle the steering completely to the left and then to the right and they should go out.
PM91

Post by PM91 »

Cheers for the advice guys.

The EPC/Check engine light comes on briefly when you first turn the keys then disappears once the engine is on so I will give the battery a reset and see if that was the fault.
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

PM91 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:16 pm Cheers for the advice guys.

The EPC/Check engine light comes on briefly when you first turn the keys then disappears once the engine is on so I will give the battery a reset and see if that was the fault.
Apologies, if I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.

When you switch on the ignition the check engine light will remain lit until the engine is started. The EPC light should come on for a few seconds and then go out.

If the lights go off once the engine has started then I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had something similar in the past when a couple of lights didn't go out as quick as they normally did when I started the car and it was down to the battery. Replaced the battery and back to normal.
PM91

Post by PM91 »

Disconnected the battery and waited 30 minutes then reconnected it but no Bueno.

I did have to recalibrate the steering + drive it a lil bit but that was fine.

The EPC/Check engine light still came on so back to the drawing board.

This wasn't an issue prior to installing the CAI and no lights were showing, it's only after having installed the CAI and also snapped the coil eyelet grounding cable which is still barely hanging on so i'm wondering if it's caused by that?

Also I rechecked all the pipes and they all are sitting snug over their housings and clamped on fairly good so I don't believe a leak is happening.
PM91

Post by PM91 »

Oh it should be noted I managed to get an OBD reader and I can see that a fault code P0007 showed up which is the following: Fuel Shutoff Valve "A" Control Circuit High
bigkris06

Post by bigkris06 »

If it wasn’t like it before you did the work, it’s clearly down to something that has been done when doing the job (or a very big coincidence)
The wire need to be secure, hanging on by a thread is not good enough regardless and this needs to be sorted to rule out this as being an issue although I don think it would throw the code you are getting.
Does the car run drive as it should?
PM91

Post by PM91 »

So I've completely replaced the broken cable, reset the battery again waited 45 minutes and then turned the ignition on but all those lights still initially show up.

Also I'm not getting anymore faults showing up on my reader.

Can I just check with some other scirocco owners if this is normal with a half turn of the ignition, do these lights come up but ultimately disappear once you turn on the engine fully.

Again to reiterate the car is running absolutely fine and I'm starting to doubt myself now and think that they are only lighting up to show that their status/light is working and that there isn't actually any fault going on here.

Does anyone else see the same behaviour?
bigkris06

Post by bigkris06 »

Yes that is correct. Your dash should show all lights when you turn your ignition on. Then once the engine starts they should all go off. (May take a few seconds) any lights that remain once the engine is running will show an issue if that makes sense.
PM91

Post by PM91 »

Phew... well that answers that then.

Excuse my stupidity I'm a new scirocco owner so still learning the ins & outs of the cars setup etc...
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

When some work is done on your car either by yourself or by someone else you become more assertive to looking for changes / issues and sometimes you pick up on something that you never noticed previously and persuade yourself it's new. We've all been there, enjoy the Scirocco.