Help! White Smoke from Exhaust!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
CumbriaRocco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Pewter Grey
With a: DSG box

Help! White Smoke from Exhaust!

Post by CumbriaRocco »

Hi, firstly please accept my apologies for my lack of technical knowledge, I’m no mechanic! Also if this is the wrong board sorry, first time poster :)

I’m having an issue with my 2009 1.9 TDI Scirocco (140) wherein I’m seeing white smoke from the exhaust on idle and under acceleration. The smoke sort of appears in ‘puffs’ and isn’t constant.

I had the EGR blanked a couple of months ago as this seemed a cost-effective way of fixing the error I was receiving with it (and the annoying limp mode associated with a knackered EGR!)

Ever since I’ve noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust under idle and acceleration, the smoke has a bad smell but I don’t think it’s the smell of burning oil (besides, the smoke isn’t blue). I’ve checked coolant levels and they’re spot on - don’t seem to be losing any coolant at all.

Does anybody know what the issue might be? I’m a bit concerned with my MOT in June (emissions test! :( )

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Help! White Smoke from Exhaust!

Post by Cuprabob »

You do get white smoke when the DPF is doing a regeneration therefore check it's not constantly trying to do a regen. You can tell it's doing a regen by an increased idle speed, a rough throaty sound from the engine and a sensation of heat. If you switch during a regen cycle the radiator fans run on for approx. 5 mins.

First thing to do is read what fault codes are present / stored as this may point you in the general direction.