First Scirocco, Parts wanted. No access to classifieds.

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Exuptoy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box

First Scirocco, Parts wanted. No access to classifieds.

Post by Exuptoy »

Hey all,
Unable to see the classifieds section, hence my post here. I’ll also update as I’m getting stuff done.
Newbie member (left a message in the newbies thread), although I intend to stay once I have the new car as I want it (are they ever finished?).
Short of getting early access to the classifieds page, I’m after a few parts for my incoming new purchase.
It’s a 2009 GT TDi 2.0 in red ( not sure which red, possibly salsa?) and I need a passenger (NS) wing, bonnet, front bumper and rear bumper due to various issues with crap aftermarket paint. Thinking it’ll be cheaper to source the parts in the right colour rather than pay for prep and paint on multiple parts. Sourced a grille so that’s on its way,

If anyone can help please let me know.
3F39E92C-CC67-4823-B4AE-7034FE6F6DC8.jpeg
C1C01D49-338B-49B5-AC4B-1A7D2E8F55DE.jpeg
7B13FA39-E9E6-4218-9159-7B3E83C89C7F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Exuptoy on Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Exuptoy

Re: Parts wanted. No access to classifieds.

Post by Exuptoy »

Well, got a rear bumper and a pair of wings. Had to drive from South Wales to The far side of Birmingham to collect and got a chance to fit the bumper today.
Very pleased with the outcome. No more filler showing at the rear. Wings tomorrow.
Still looking for a front bumper and bonnet if anyone knows the whereabouts of the pair in Salsa Red. Cash waiting.
E8D237ED-9935-4976-942E-76195F86786E.jpeg
2ECD4A77-CCC5-4D95-A4E5-00312BE357B1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Exuptoy

Re: First Scirocco, Parts wanted. No access to classifieds.

Post by Exuptoy »

Todays work, I managed to get both wings replaced.
DB57724F-E294-49B3-B759-FB7B3EF7EF70.jpeg
15D273BE-0EB7-4132-95B7-08E3D64CB931.jpeg
40C38088-B64D-4844-9906-D977EDF4C0BC.jpeg
34D0CDCA-F570-44A6-BD5A-265293EB9FA7.jpeg
Exuptoy

Post by Exuptoy »

Brakes today, found three calipers seized hence my dragging brakes, new discs and pads all round, found a hub with a LOT of play so I suspect someone has either left the bolt loose or fitted an incorrect length shaft. I also found a snapped top fixing on my left rear DCC shock so I need a spare shock. Anyone have a spare to sell?
BBB8BC44-1121-46AC-9EDD-B3CAC0C79E55.jpeg
D86967FE-40A6-4830-AFBB-3E78F954FC9C.jpeg
Found this one but eBay reckons it doesn’t fit my car. Can anyone confirm?
B0D3F42E-F882-4A7D-B1C5-0802030084A9.jpeg
69E77491-5422-4EC0-A883-8A8D810FD09C.jpeg
Exuptoy

Post by Exuptoy »

My lad looked at the driveshaft today and found the 6 point hex bolt (not 12 point triple square) not even hand tight!
That’ll do it!
Torqued up to 200Nm and angled 180’ and alls good.
Still need a rear DCC shock. Tried to weld it to get it rolling until I can source one but judging by the knock from the rear I think it’s gone again. Never mind. It’ll be done this week.
OS caliper smoking too and stiff. I’ll grab a caliper at the same time.
bigkris06
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Pewter Grey

Post by bigkris06 »

That is looking 100% better! Well done.
I have never used the classifieds on here, I just use eBay, FB marketplace etc for parts. Another is breakerlink (Google it) but please use due diligence when buying from there as you are effectively dealing with the breaker directly (used a credit card or PayPal)
Just get a new shock absorber as not worth the effort to weld it and to be honest it’s not safe.
Can the caliper rewind? If so just give it a good clean with a wire brush and should be okay!
Again… looks great!
Exuptoy

Post by Exuptoy »

Cheers for the praise and the advice.
All four calipers were wound back and cleaned but the driver side front was smoking after a drive. Got a new one from my factors and I ordered the black and yellow shockers from eBay. Ordered Sunday evening, arrived from Germany Tuesday mid afternoon! The weld was just an interim measure to drive it to its parking space where it would stay until the new ones arrived.
They’re made in China but feedback seems good. Hopefully it’s not a case of buy cheap buy twice!

On the bodywork front I’ve had a very good quote from a mate in the trade for an insurance approved primered bumper specific to the GT so I’ll be ordering it once I get back from offshore.
I just need to prep the bonnet and then my painter mate can JM hit them both with Salsa red LA3H
I’ll update here once it’s in progress. Nice to see someone in here.it seems quiet here. The Caddy forum is mega busy although I suppose they’ve had a longer life.
Last edited by Exuptoy on Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigkris06

Post by bigkris06 »

Wow, that was super quick! Especially from overseas.
I think this forum used to have a lot more traffic but has died down.
Personally I’d stick to a used genuine bumper (purely from previous experience when repairing accident damaged cars) aftermarket rarely fit as good but obviously it’s your choice. Either way the Roc looks good front end whichever way you look at it!
Loads of stuff is made in china these days, even bilstien have a factory in china but I’d assume their quality would be monitored, but reviews tell you if they are really bad!
Hope you get your car sorted soon and get to enjoying it!
Best of luck 🤞
Exuptoy

Post by Exuptoy »

Cheers Chris. I don’t like to hang about.
I think with bookface etc, forums are, in the main quite pointless but not all of us are on bookface!

I’m currently offshore and my lad spent a couple hours yesterday fitting the new shocks, so it’s had two new rear shocks, front drop links, rear discs and pads, front discs (pads were very good and almost new) and a new front caliper, so she’s mechanically in better shape than when I got her. My upper grille has apparently arrived so it’s just bumper and bonnet now. Can’t wait to start using it.
I’ve acquired a new plug for the rear accel sensor as the wires have pulled out if it and it’s giving me a flashing suspension button in the console, so I just need to cut back the wires and repair the loom before refitting the plug.
bigkris06

Post by bigkris06 »

No agreed, I don’t use it either, any time I need anything off marketplace I have to ask one of the kids lol.
Please don’t think I am being rude or disrespectful in anyway but I personally don’t ever replace discs and keep the pads regardless of how good they look. Pads bed to discs, discs dont bed to pads. Even if they look good they will have bedded to original discs, they will eventually bed in but depending on any lips / scoring and how long it takes for that to wear away.
The car looks like it has come along way in a short space of time. Sounds daft but I know exactly how you feel about not being able to drive it… mines been on the drive for 8 months! Not because there’s anything wrong with it… I’m currently unable to drive so I too can’t wait to get behind the wheel again!
Are you sticking with the stock wheels or upgrading?
Great to see the progress!
Exuptoy

Post by Exuptoy »

No offence taken matey. Appreciate your comments.
I would normally have swapped both, but they were done a matter of months before I got it, however. Due to the stuck caliper, one disc had warped. That caliper has since been replaced. I will take the comment and keep an eye on the pads. The previous owner reckoned that the mot inspector in the garage that carried out the mot is notoriously harsh but the brakes and suspension components were largely, in poor order and as I said the brand new drive shaft fitted after the mot advisory wasn’t even hand tight, so I’m glad it’s been addressed.

WRT the alloys, I’m fed up of black wheels. They’re everywhere just now and I do have a scruffy set of silver 18” turbines here which I’ll probably refurb back in silver to change the look a little. If I’m not fussy I have a recently powdercoated set of 18” Audi s-lines on my Caddy which may get swapped out.
E39C19A6-062F-4E3B-91B2-D208F82BD198.jpeg
A3D3C0AB-C571-492D-A927-737E357C8382.jpeg
bigkris06

Post by bigkris06 »

The caddy’s do seem to have a massive following these day, I think like the transporters people have found how much they can do to them and some look great!
Yours looks fab! And the alloy’s really suit it.
I really like the turbine alloys. I am fortunate enough to have 19” as standard on mine which are silver. Which I like.
I did recently see a golf which is the same red as yours (or very similar) and that had a dark kind of gunmetal grey wheels which really suited it but obviously wheel colour is a very personal preference!
Make sure you post some pics up when you are finished!
Exuptoy

Post by Exuptoy »

Cheers Kris, still not sorted the alloys, however, been driving the Scirocco today and I have a couple of extra issues to sort. Brakes and suspension now all sorted, rear shocks, brakes all round, drop links front and rear, and I visited a breakers earlier looking for a OS headlight and wiring plug as someone has bodged the wiring and my headlight doesn’t work after disturbing the front end. Couldn’t get a working headlamp, but they sold me a smashed up headlamp and part of the loom for £20!
I’m not losing it honestly…I decided to de-pin my headlight plug and re-pin the new (used) plug which was in good order with shiny wires, whereas in mine all the wiring was corroded and 1 wire cut and bodged with a through crimp.
I cleaned mine with a brass brush, re pinned the plug and covered the terminals with corrosion block di-electric grease (made by ACF50), then I disconnected the loom inside the smashed headlight and swapped the loom into my bodged light and now all is well. Headlights all working fine and as intended by VW although I have a few lamps to change at the rear.
My other issue is a bit more serious, there’s a strong smell of burnt exhaust fumes in the car, made a little better by using re-circ air. I have read about it in here so I need to check the turbo v-band clamp and the EGR (I think it’s been bypassed by the PO after the egr leak though). Gonna double check his work. Had a huge headache tonight when driving it.
Also after driving for a little while, stop for food or something, then when I try to start the car, it catches but fails to start. I then try to start 3 or 4 times before it runs. AlmostSt like when my injector in the 1.9PD caddy was leaking and fuel running back to tank overnight. Maybe the same issue?
I’ll have to scan it to see if there’s any deviation in the injectors with one scavenging more fuel than the others. That’s how I confirmed the caddy injector as goosed.
bigkris06

Post by bigkris06 »

Sounds like you are on The right path now! I hate it when people bodge thing's! Wish I’d have known you’d needed headlight bits as I’ve just chucked two smashed headlights from mine and you could have had them.
Could be an issue with injectors but I’d do a fuel filter first especially if it’s been off road for a little while as could just be that but again you seem to know what you are doing.
Has it had a decat? They stink like anything (but if you have a pd engine I’m sure you know that!)
But again checking a previous owners workmanship always a good idea especially if the wiring has been bodged.
Think there’s a lot of conflicting info on egr bypass lots of people saying do others saying no way don’t do it so I think that’s a personal choice. Let us know how you get on and keep up the good work!
Exuptoy

Post by Exuptoy »

Will do mate. Thanks for the advice once again.
Exuptoy

Post by Exuptoy »

If anyone has smashed headlights, the inner looms from them are great to repair corroded wiring issues. Easy enough to strip out too.👍
May be handy for members with issues. I’ve ordered an aftermarket headlight anyway as mine has damaged brackets, once I fit it, I’ll get some pics as I remove the sub loom. May come in useful for someone, especially as it’s a common issue.
Exuptoy

Post by Exuptoy »

Well, yesterday I stripped the OS door assy to get at the window regulator/mounts to square up the glass where the PO had changed the reg but not aligned it. Wind noise at speed or in a RH bend was terrible.
Removed the door card and the inner panel, but before commencing I defeated the latch so the window travelled all the way up as if the door was closed (had to redo that once I removed the Bowden cable from the handle as it popped the lock again, which dropped the glass!), found the front 10mm fixing, loosened it and pulled the glass up at the front before retightening. Glass now sits where it should. No pics as I forgot!
Second job was to make a small sub loom to replace the plug for the rear LH acceleration sensor as the wires have been ripped from the plug somehow, causing a flashing suspension light on the console.
Exuptoy

Post by Exuptoy »

Here are the pics of the headlight loom removal from a damaged light. Loom may come in handy for someone with a problematic or burned up headlight loom.
There’s a plastic clip holding the loom as indicated by the screwdriver, one small tiewrap to cut, twist the sidelight module until you can pry out the white plug, then remove the 3 small torx and pull out the lamp holder then using a small screwdriver pry up the clip and pul the plug out of the other end.
Last edited by Exuptoy on Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exuptoy

Post by Exuptoy »

Then it’s just the plug removal and fish out the loom and feed back in the new loom in reverse order of removal.
Exuptoy

Post by Exuptoy »

New (to me) used rear NS caliper fitted this evening by my lad as the original was sticking and causing a hot rear disc. Also changed out a rusty rear handbrake cable on the OS at the same time.