Blowing cold air only :(

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
kanedauk
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Blowing cold air only :(

Post by kanedauk »

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can help. at the end of last winter my cabin heater/fans stopped blowing hot air. I completely forgot about it as didn't need them through the summer. It's getting really cold now and the cabin in freezing.

I've tried the usual climatronic button resets, Air con works fine but regardless of heating settings, it only blows cold air. As the car gets hotter it does blow a slightly less cold air but definitely not warm.

One strange thing is, if I have driven long distances, when i stop and I'm sat idle for a few minutes I can feel warm air coming out of the fans, the moment I start moving again it turns cold.

There doesn't appear to be any coolant leaks. Any help would be amazing!

Thank you
LesPaul
I drive a: R-Line
In: Pure White

Re: Blowing cold air only :(

Post by LesPaul »

… I dont have an answer, but if its any consolation I have the exact same problem. It started last year and all the dealer could tell me was that the pipes going in and out of the heater core were hot, so it didn’t look like a heater core blockage but possibly a stuck flap somewhere, or possibly a sensor in the ducting. They were supposed to research more and get back to me but never did. Then summer came and I neglected it…

I never got a chance to investigate further as the car now has far bigger issues - which I hope aren’t related! (see my other post! http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=29166 )

If you get to the bottom of it please let all know!
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Post by Roy_01 »

What happens when you crank up the heat to 30 C?
TDI should have an additional electric heater also that will kick in if you ask a lot of heat.
You can check thé temperature sensors with vcds.
bigkris06
In: Pewter Grey

Post by bigkris06 »

I would be looking in the direction of blocked heater matrix due to silka bag breakdown. Very common across the VAG group range. Very well documented online.
If you are handy with the spanner’s, you could easily pull the heater matrix out and see if it’s blocked (run water through it, it should flow freely) and make sure you use something to catch the coolant in the footwell.
Hope this helps
kanedauk
In: Candy White

Post by kanedauk »

Thank you. Any idea where I find the heater matrix?
bigkris06
In: Pewter Grey

Post by bigkris06 »

I will try my best to describe where it is.
On a RHD car it is located passenger side footwell. there should be a panel on the side (where a passengers right leg would be and kind of under the glove compartment) you should find it behind this cover with two pipes going to it. Be VERY careful if you remove it…. It will be FULL of water! And under no circumstances do it when the engine is hot. Make sure the engine is totally cold! Serious risk of scalding.