Wanting to buy Pfl tdi

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Azinoapte

Wanting to buy Pfl tdi

Post by Azinoapte »

Hi all,

The time has come for me to upgrade and Im thinking of buying a pfl 2.0 TDI as ive only got about £4.5k budget and i commute to work.

Is there anything i should look out for? What are the common problems with these cars/engines?

Thanks,
A
bigkris06
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Pewter Grey
With a: Manual box

Re: Wanting to buy Pfl tdi

Post by bigkris06 »

Hi.
The 2.0 tdi is a pretty decent car tbh.
Just do the usual due diligence as for HPi check and make sure it has decent history, check for mot advisories etc.
What sort of mileage are you going to be doing? Short trips will clog the dpf… fast! A good blast every couple of weeks should reduce this but if you’re not doing the miles then maybe a petrol would be a better option.
Hope this helps 😊
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Post by Roy_01 »

Dual mass flywheel is a weak point on this cars.
Check if you hear a rattling noise when you cold start the engine in neutral or park. If you are looking for an automatic transmission, also check it to shift smoothly.

bigkris06

Post by bigkris06 »

Yes, agreed to the above good advice, although Dual mass flywheels are fitted to most diesels these days. You will also feel this on the clutch pedal, it will feel like a vibration which goes through the pedal to your foot.
Azinoapte

Post by Azinoapte »

Thanks for the reply.
I do about 1 hour round trip to work and back, 4 days of the week. Sometimes i do motorway trips and i feel like i was torturing my old polo keeping it at about 3/4k rpm for a while.

Im seeing a clean looking manual 2011 110k miles one on sunday, ill keep an eye out for the clutch vibration on the cold start. Did the usual carvertical check aswell and that came back fine.
bigkris06

Post by bigkris06 »

Mine is a 2.0tdi and I love it, has plenty of power but I keep the good MPG.
Good luck with your viewing!