Bi-Zenon Headlight Fault

Everything about the R for potential owners.
Alecjock
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Recaro seats, panoramic sunroof, 19” Alloys

Bi-Zenon Headlight Fault

Post by Alecjock »

Hi Folks,
I drive a 2011 Scirocco R, 45k miles and I have owned this car for 12 years with it being 6 months old when I bought it.
It has never given me any problems of any magnitude through all the time I have had it and I am as proud of the Car now as I was when I first got it. I still take a look back at it when I walk away from it in a Car Park..

It has developed a small problem that has me stumped..
The front passenger side headlamp will not stay on main beam, the main beam gives a flick but reverts to dipped.
I replaced the bulb thinking it was the problem, but still the same.
I then took out the Headlights and swapped them over. The drivers light worked fine on the opposite side, but the Passenger side light carried the problem over.
This suggested that there was no problem with the wiring in the passenger side and the problem must be with the headlight unit itself.
I then swapped over the ballast units and this also made no difference as the same problem persisted with the light in question and the drivers light worked as before.

Has anyone had a similar issue that could offer some advice or help? I really do not know what else it could be, I read that some of these light units have “igniters” that may go wrong, could this be the case?
Any help or advice would be welcome and gratefully received
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Bi-Zenon Headlight Fault

Post by Cuprabob »

On the D1S bulb, the igniter is part of the bulb.

The same bulb is used for dipped beam and main beam. A shutter mechanism alters the beam pattern between dipped and main beam. I suspect it is with this shutter mechanism where your problem lies.
Alecjock
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: Recaro seats, panoramic sunroof, 19” Alloys

Re: Bi-Zenon Headlight Fault

Post by Alecjock »

Thanks for your info, appreciate it, would you know if there is a fix that could remedy the issue? I hope to avoid having to buy a new headlight…