Tyre valve change with TPMS sensor??

All the info you need to know about the new VW Scirocco.
LiamE8
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

Tyre valve change with TPMS sensor??

Post by LiamE8 »

Hi all,
I need to replace a damaged tyre valve on my 2016 Scirocco R as the thread has been damaged. Does anybody know how that will impact the TPMS sensor?
I’ve looked into a few different types of TPMS sensors and it seems that some have a removable valve meaning the sensor itself can remain in its place.
Do you know what type of sensor is used in a Scirocco? Thanks
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Tyre valve change with TPMS sensor??

Post by Cuprabob »

There is no TPMS sensor in the wheel / tyre assembly. The TPMS used on the Scirocco utilises the ABS wheel speed sensors to monitor the rolling resistance of each wheel to detect a drop in tyre pressure. It's a relative measurement based on a datum value when you reset the system using the reset button. It doesn't measure the actual pressure in each tyre. All you need to do is reset the system when youbrefit the wheel, like you do when you fit new tyres or pump your tyres up.

It the systems that display the actual tyre pressure in the instrument cluster that have a sensor in the valve.
LiamE8
I drive a: Scirocco R

Re: Tyre valve change with TPMS sensor??

Post by LiamE8 »

Thanks Cuprabob, appreciate the quick response!