Limp Mode in Neutral?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Phildnb
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Limp Mode in Neutral?

Post by Phildnb »

Can anyone tell me if it is normal for the revs to be limited in neutral? The car has been running high revs on occasion over the passed few weeks so I suspect MAF sensor is the culprit. Would this explain restricted revs in neutral or is this a feature on all models?

I have no warning lights on the dash so it's a bit confusing

Car is a GT TDI, and has been serviced recently in a VW garage
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Limp Mode in Neutral?

Post by Cuprabob »

Yes, it's perfectly normal. It is a protective feature to limit the revs under no load conditions.

The car can idle slightly higher if it detects a low battery voltage or if a DPF regeneration is taking place. Also, if you switch off the engine before the DPF regeneration is complete, the radiator cooling fans will run on for around 5mins after switch off.
Deanrocco
In: Candy White
Options: Heated seats aircon usb

Post by Deanrocco »

You can switch it off if you like, but cuprabob is right its to protect the engine especially when cold. If you switch off your traction control and hold down the clutch, doesnt need to be in gear, it will rev higher

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk
Phildnb

Post by Phildnb »

That's great, I felt myself that it was a fail safe more than anything. They must have reset the settings when the car was serviced a few weeks ago. I think she could be starting better though from cold though , it feels like a light misfire or something until she is warmed up, so I will get that looked at.

One thing I do know however is that the battery needs to be replaced, so that could be the root of the problem.

On a different note, anyone know where I could source an owners manual?
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Phildnb wrote:That's great, I felt myself that it was a fail safe more than anything. They must have reset the settings when the car was serviced a few weeks ago. I think she could be starting better though from cold though , it feels like a light misfire or something until she is warmed up, so I will get that looked at.

One thing I do know however is that the battery needs to be replaced, so that could be the root of the problem.

On a different note, anyone know where I could source an owners manual?
You used to be able to download it from the VW UK website but I've just checked and now it's only for cars after 2018. You can order one from a dealer but I don't know how much they would charge. There will be a PDF somewhere on the internet.
Last edited by Cuprabob on Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phildnb

Post by Phildnb »

Tried everywhere online but no luck in afraid, and the dealer told me they can't source them which I found strange. I have come across them on ebay, but the price is ridiculous. Only option is the breakers yard I suppose
Deanrocco
Options: Heated seats aircon usb

Post by Deanrocco »

Ebay item number 383486586485

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk
Deanrocco