Help with buying a first Scirocco

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.

Help with buying a first Scirocco

Postby g98smith » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi all,

So I've always wanted a Scirocco, but (somehow) managed to persuade myself to hang on until I'd bought my house and got my mortgage sorted. Now that that's done, I've decided it's finally time to treat myself...

I've decided I want to invest in the 2.0 TSI GT (as opposed to the 1.4 TSI or the 2.0 TDI) as I've been driving an old Kia Picanto ever since I passed my test, so I think I deserve to have some fun and enjoy the power of the 2.0 litre engine. My commute is also very short so I don't think a diesel would be a great idea. I know there is a known issue with the timing chain tensioner on the pre-2012 TSI engines (correct me if I'm wrong) so I think I'd either look to preemptively update it, or just buy a 12 plate or newer.

Looking to buy cash so don't really want to spend any more than £8,000 (ish)... however I also don't really want anything with more than 60,000 miles on the clock; I'm holding out for candy white and with leather seats too. Had no luck so far though. Am I being too stingy/hopeful?!

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers, George
g98smith

I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Heated Tan Leather Seats, Sat-Nav, Reversing Camera

Re: Help with buying a first Scirocco

Postby Jimjimjim » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Just keep stalking auto trader and eventually one will turn up. Don't buckle. I got a manual 2010 2.0 TSI 51k in November after looking for 6 to 8 weeks for around 8k. It has everything apart from sunroof. It was a trade in at a Honda garage. Just make sure you have the money ready and act quick to go see it.
Jimjimjim

Postby g98smith » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 pm

Yeah keeping a keen eye on Autotrader at the moment, there are a few 10/11 plates with 50-60k going for around 8k, I went to test drive one local to me last week which was 59 plate with 40k miles and they are asking for 8.8k. However none have leather seats which I desperately want! Not too fussed about the pan roof either - it would be a ‘nice to have’ though.
g98smith

Postby Cuprabob » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:27 pm

In my opinion, you should focus on the condition and history and less on the mileage. Good luck with your search.
Cuprabob

I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Postby Jimjimjim » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:12 pm

Id personally get a 10+ so you don't get the old steering wheel and red display.
Jimjimjim

Postby g98smith » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:08 am

Update: I finally bought one after about a month of searching!

2.0 TSI GT, 2013 plate, 36500 miles, tan leather with reverse parking camera and sat nav. Ended up haggling them down to £9850 which I'm pretty happy with, they're going to give it a fresh service/12 months' MOT and touch up the one alloy that's got a few scuffs. The only downside... I've got a 560 mile round trip to Glasgow to collect it!

I'm hoping that as it was registered in May 2013 it shouldn't suffer from the dreaded timing chain issue if it has the revised/updated tensioner... does anyone know how I can confirm this for sure? I.e. if I was to find out the specific engine model? Any help would be much appreciated.
g98smith

Return to General Scirocco Talk