Newbie Questions

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.

Newbie Questions

Postby IROCconcept » Sun May 05, 2019 7:20 pm

Hi I'm new here, and don't own a Scirocco yet. I am finally going to get one, and as one of the design team who started the project in a VW studio back in 2005 in California, have an emotional attachment to it. The question is, which one do I get? I want a reliable one. I'm open to all variants, petrol diesel, large or small engine. I'm not wanting to get into modding, and I will get a colour and spec as a secondary to reliability, and maintenance costs considerations. I believe they're all good to drive. I would prefer a newer one, but maybe the older ones are better? I just don't know. My research starts here! I hope you can help! Thanks in advance!
IROCconcept

Re: Newbie Questions

Postby Zanic L3 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:31 am

Avoid the 1.4's from 2008 - 2012 (?) they can start to crack pistons. Also, try to avoid the 08-2012 2.0 TSI's if they didn't have the chain + tensioner removed and the newest one installed (it's like an €1100 job, I'm about to do it soon).
Idk about reliability on the newer facelift models, but I guess they are all good to go :). I would opt for the DSG

I don't know much about the diesel ones, but personally, I would just stay away from diesels
Zanic L3

I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: MILTEK NON-RES CAT BACK!

Postby Blueyepeas » Tue May 21, 2019 10:38 am

Hi ..recently bought a 2012 20 gt tsi , was wondering if anyone could help me ? The multifunctional steering buttons dont work or the horn , the little reset button in the glove box doesn't seem to work either ! Also is the 2012 safe from the cam chain problems , l did read some where that 12 was all sorted by then ...thanks in advance if someone can shed some light
Blueyepeas

I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
With a: Manual box

Postby Cuprabob » Tue May 21, 2019 11:19 am

The MFSW buttons not working will probably be the slip ring.

The TPMS reset button in the glovebox is known to become disconnected so check the connections to it. The button is wired straight into the ABS control module.

A scan using VCDS may highlight the faults confirming where the cause of your issues lie.
Cuprabob

I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Return to General Scirocco Talk