Scirocco air box leak ??? Causing over fuelling

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.

Scirocco air box leak ??? Causing over fuelling

Postby jacko17 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi all,

Have had a ongoing problem with my car with it smoking. Had the EGR cooler changed as it was loosing coolant that did nothing for the smoke. Then had the injectors tested as the car decided to run on its own and when they checked the sump to find diesel in there. Testers the injectors and found al of them to be faulty for 4 new ones.

So....£2000 later I have noticed I have a leak sounds like air under my bonnet......someone suggested to changed the air filter if it was dirty checked it and it was filthy bought a new one and fitted it. Started the car no leak anymore and no smoke which i very pleased with took it for a drive and no smoke at all. Later that day went for another drive and it started to smoke again :,( so checked the air filter and it was like new still put it all back together and started the car and it’s running fine again. On the air box two of the screws don’t tighten all that well just spin around.

So if when the car comes under presssue and the air box starts to Leak leading to over fuelling and then the smoke starts???? Does that sound like what could be happening? I haven’t got a clue.

Going to take the air box complete off tomrrow and refit ensuring everything is tight and maybe use bigger screws for the two faulty ones. One of the screws has plastic that’s its ripped out of the hole.

Cheers
jacko17

I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: Manual box

Re: Scirocco air box leak ??? Causing over fuelling

Postby Cuprabob » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:19 pm

You would only get over fueling if the air leak was after the Mass Air Flow Meter (MAF). If there is a leak at the air filter housing the only risk you have is that you get unfiltered air into the air intake, if the leak is at the output side of the filter.
Cuprabob

In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Postby jacko17 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:41 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I don’t actsully know where the leak it but I was thinking it was near the air filter box. As only what I’m doing is un doing the screws taking the air filter out and then putting it back together and it seems to cure it.
jacko17

Postby Roy_01 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:55 pm

You don't hear an air intake leak, i think you hear a leak on the pressurized side after turbo compressor.
|Direct TPMS|Gen3 climatronic|Polar FIS PF03|Bearlock|Staging color mfd|Rear view cam|Heated seats|Lane/Side/Fautigue/HB-assist|Dyn+stat.cornering xenon|Facelift front|Seatdrawers|Door warning/handle/ambient LED|Alarm|BMC CRF797|Wagner IC|Adaptive cruise|
Roy_01

I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box
Options: |Keyfob fold mirrors|pano roof|18"detroit|remap 225 hp 435 Nm|DSG remap new shiftpoints|Bonnet mono-strut|Washer fluid level sensor|DSG paddle extensions|Usb dock|Dectane KV41KLRSY|EGR disabled|Kenwood DNX525|Calearo DAB+|CC|Vcds mods|R32 brakes|Eibach B12 Pro Kit|GT1749VC|

Postby jacko17 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:39 pm

I’m actually stumped to what this is. Started smoking again today popped the bonnet and something seems to be leaking after I rev it. You can hear like a spooling in the engine bay.

Took a short video and his is what it’s doing when it’s smoking https://youtu.be/4tl7QOg76rk

When I’ve turn the engine off and then there’s no smoke this is how the engine sounds.... https://youtu.be/i60PwITq1Ic
jacko17

Postby jacko17 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:12 pm

Someone on facebook has suggested it could be the gasket which connects the DPF to the turbo that’s leaking he has a similar problem. Said it was a cheap fix £20. Think I’ll try that
jacko17

Return to General Scirocco Talk