Oil change

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.

Oil change

Postby quickndirty » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi everybody

My name is David and I am new to this forum. Great forum with a with a lot of useful information.

I got my Scirocco 2010 1.4TSI 160 bhp one year ago. The seller, a small auto dealer close to where I live, told me that the car was in excellent condition, and the car certainly looked good in the shop. Apparently not everything is as good as I initially thought it would be. I see now there is list of repairs that need to be done. So, I may need a little help from time to time.

Now to my question, which I hope somebody can help me with. I did an oil change today. I drained the oil, changed the oil filter and refilled the engine with new engine oil. When I fired up the engine, I kind of expected the oil light to come on for a few seconds. However, to my surprise, no light came on. Is that normal?

Cheers David
quickndirty

I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
With a: Manual box

Re: Oil change

Postby Astonbarlow » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Does your oil light come on when the whole dashboard illuminates? When you first turn the engine on? I've never had the oil light come on after changing oil.
Astonbarlow

I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Full leather interior, heated seats, NAV, Bluetooth, dual climate control, gloss black alloys, piano black trim, gloss black exhaust tips, DAB, DCC.

Postby Psycho Kirky » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:04 pm

I never think to look for the oil light. But I dont think it illuminates on start-up. Ive only ever had oil warnings when I had rebuilt the timing and head and not started for 6 weeks with no oil, while cranking to build up pressure.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Psycho Kirky

I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
Options: MODS-
K&N Typhoon Induction kit
BCS Powervalve custom sport TBE
REVO Stage 2 remap
Airtec Stage 2 Intercooler
Forge diverter/recirculation valve
Sachs Performance clutch
'Heavy Set' silicone hoses
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Postby quickndirty » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:43 pm

Astonbarlow wrote:Does your oil light come on when the whole dashboard illuminates? When you first turn the engine on? I've never had the oil light come on after changing oil.

Psycho Kirky wrote:I never think to look for the oil light. But I dont think it illuminates on start-up. Ive only ever had oil warnings when I had rebuilt the timing and head and not started for 6 weeks with no oil, while cranking to build up pressure.

Thanks for your reply.

I see now that there is no oil light coming on when the ignition is switched on. After checking a few YouTube videos, I believe that it is normal for the petrol engine on VW Golf (couldn’t find any videos for the Scirocco). If the oil pressure is low, it is shown by some text in the middle display. The TDI shows an oil light in the dash at ignition.
quickndirty

I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Return to General Scirocco Talk