Inside information regarding 4th generation Scirocco

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Dazarooni
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Inside information regarding 4th generation Scirocco

Post by Dazarooni »

The Managing Director of my local VW dealer is also the national chairman of VW UK Dealer Council and gets all inside info regarding all planned VW projects for the next few years ahead.

I asked on Facebook what the plans were for the 4th generation Scirocco. The reply was (not from the guy himself but the rep who gets the info from him) was...

"highly unlikely to be replaced due to shrinking Coupe segment globally. There's a Tiguan Coupe coming which is expected to appeal to Scirocco owners.."

So, not looking good at the moment. :(
blower
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Re: Inside information regarding 4th generation Scirocco

Post by blower »

What he meant to say was....

'Highly unlikely to be replaced due to shrinking bank balance from global diesel emissions scandal....however there is an extra cup holder to be available in the face lift for next year'
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

Yeah I think since dieselgate hit it's been pretty clear that all their low volume niche models would be the first ones for the chop. They need to recoup their losses so they have to stick to the big volume sellers like SUVs and the up/polo/golf models.

The Tiguan coupe would be miles down the list on my selection of replacements.
rpsmith79
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Post by rpsmith79 »

Dazarooni wrote:
"highly unlikely to be replaced due to shrinking Coupe segment globally. There's a Tiguan Coupe coming which is expected to appeal to Scirocco owners.."

So, not looking good at the moment. :(
Are these corporate types on drugs or what, who the hell would want to go from a Scirocco to a lardy arse Tiguan Coupe, just because its got coupe in the name it means it must appeal to us Rocco owners................ i don't know whether to laugh or cry, lol
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

A bit surprised as the 3 door hatch seems to be disappearing and I would of though the coupe would fill that void for those who don't need the practicalities of a 5 door.

I did expect VW to launch a more sporty looking SUV but I didn't think they would use the Scirocco name.
rpsmith79
In: Candy White

Post by rpsmith79 »

Cuprabob wrote:A bit surprised as the 3 door hatch seems to be disappearing and I would of though the coupe would fill that void for those who don't need the practicalities of a 5 door.

I did expect VW to launch a more sporty looking SUV but I didn't think they would use the Scirocco name.
I don't think they are saying they will call the Tiguan Coupe a Scirocco, just that it will satisfy the coupe lovers........................ i think not

And yes, it is a sad state of affairs when more and more proper hot hatches are only available in 5 door variants (Focus RS, Civic Type R)
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

I raised an eyebrow at the Tiguan coupe appealing to Scirocco owners comment.... not for me thanks. Could be goodbye VW in a year or 2 and hello Audi/BMW.
bitmadmax

Post by bitmadmax »

I guess they'd try to pitch something against the likes of the Evoque, but they are very late to that market

I can't see them ditching the Scirocco personally, but it might not be as high on the priorities for being updated.
Golf 7R
Gone: Scirocco R
VCDS available
salsajoe
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

Heard they are ditching the 3 door version of the Golf MK 8 in the US. Perhaps this is a trend - delete 3 door models?
Tallguy

Post by Tallguy »

After two Sciroccos which I enjoyed very much, a year ago I jumped ship as it was clear VW was not going to spend major money on developing a new model of a (relatively) low volume coupe. I stayed within the Audi/VW group and went for the Mk3 TT and have no regrets.
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

That's the route I'm going too.
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

VW Australia have announced a final version of the R. I think the end is nigh for the Scirocco.....

http://www.motor1.com/news/101104/vw-sc ... australia/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sadtranz
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Leather, Winter pack, parking sensors, H&R springs, Bluefin remap

Post by sadtranz »

Shame but it needs a new model I will keep mine the original 2gt was better without the cheap looking stick on side skirts, just needs lowering a classic
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

Just to put the final nail in the Scirocco coffin...

I sent the Managing Director a tweet as I knew he was going to Germany in Early November to get details on all upcoming projects and this was his reply..

@DarylMDevine No demand for a new Scirocco. Segment shrinking globally, so it won't be replaced.

So that's that then. Screw you Volkswagen!