Maisonian's Carbon Candy

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
Maisonian
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS 510 & Dynaudio Soundpack
19" Talladega Alloys (Gunmetal grey)
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
Kerscher CF Front Lip Spoiler
Maxton Designs CF under runners
Dectane Litec Smoked Rear Lights
Forge Twin-take Induction Kit
GFB DV+
Modified Audi TTs Engine cover & peripherals

Maisonian's Carbon Candy

Post by Maisonian »

Greetings all!

I purchased my 2011 Scirocco R a few months ago from Manchester and brought her to a new home in the south. I absolutely adore the aggressive design and power under the hood and have plans to subtly modify the car to make it my own. Previous to this car, I had owned a 1.8T 25th Anniversary Golf; a fantastic car with plenty of 'oomph' and a timeless look so my heart was set on something in the 'unusual' category.

Needless to say, this car did not disappoint! Driving a semi-automatic DSG took a little getting used to, having always driven a manual, but with the option for manual gear changes from the Tiptronic/Paddles I was set (plus automatic is a godsend in the morning rush-hour commute).

However, there were a few minor issues to address; lack of Bluetooth functionality, no bonnet gas-struts and the dull-as-mud cup holders...

A plan began to take shape.

The Bluetooth functionality was relatively easy to solve after some extensive research. The box of trick under the driver's seat turned out to be the wrong one for the car (the more I dug, the more it looked like the internals had been switched out at some point in its life); a quick order of the correct one for the RNS 510 Headunit and away it went! A clear of the error codes through VCDS and the unit was plug-and-play, all working as intended.

I ordered the dual gas strut kit off Ebay following the guidance in this topic (http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 37&t=16760" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.) The kit fitted like a glove and provides excellent support for the bonnet when raised. I'm honestly very surprised that the scirocco didn't come with this as standard (even my mum's 2003 Polo has these!) but it was an easy job with a useful outcome. Since taking the photo, the side rubbers have been cut and re-fitted to accomodate the closing bonnet struts.

The next mod attempted was the dreaded covered cup holder (http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... =38&t=1393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I ordered the required pieces from a breakers merchant on Ebay, paying about £40 each for OEM parts for both the front and rear. Enlisting the help of my mechanically-minded father, we set about the unenviable task of fitting the central cup holder. For those of you who have not seen this mod before, the locating screws for the cup holder are located UNDER the central console; so to retrofit another one, be prepared to take it out. All of it. We'd read around the subject and followed the advice to 'remove the rear arm rest assembly' first. This proved to be an excellent shout, making access to the whole central assembly a lot easier. The operation was essentially a gigantic Puzz-3D exercise, coupled with a "hunt the torque screw" hide and seek. A few skinned knuckles and two hours later, we'd successfully fitted the sliding cup holder and re-assembled the central console (with the obligatory one screw left over). For those of you tempted to go for this mod, make sure you have patience, flexibility and an awesome Old Man who you can rely on for backup :D The rear fold-out cup holder went in 1000x easier, removing the back pannel of the arm rest and two screws to replace.

Mission accomplished, the insides were done! Yes, a little bit of aggro for what is a relatively minor cosmetic change, but all in all I was pretty happy with the outcome. Onto the outside refinements!

Having a bit of an unhealthy love for carbon fibre, I scoured the internet & happened across some tasteful mods for the Scirocco R. Kerscher have been the first to provide a front lip spoiler at around the £300 mark. 5 weeks after parting with the cash, it has arrived in all its carbon glory! Just waiting on some Stainless Steel fittings and I shall have this mounted on the front!

On the cards is a CF rear diffuser (current contenders are the Vary Riefe at a whopping £800 or the matching Kerscher at a more reasonably £400) and CF wing mirror caps. Later on, I plan to repaint the calipers (yellow is at the forefront of my mind currently), add spacers (15mm), change out the alloys and invest in some performance components with a stage 2 remap in mind. Any further changes I'll post in this thread as and when they happen!

Thanks for stopping by to read, I'll leave you with some photos from a good detailing session this afternoon and a mess about with the camera.

Scirocco R - Converting Petrol into Fun via the Wallet.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=22769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sciroccosam1
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Deep Black
Options: Black gloss Wolfrace Scorpio 17", Kenwood DAB Multimedia System, Dectane smoked LED sidelights/indicators, Smoked LED taillights, LED number plate lights, Front bumper lip, Personal numberplate, Privacy glass, Red brake calipers, Black gloss exhaust caps

Re: Maisonian's Carbon Candy

Post by sciroccosam1 »

Really nice car!!! Wish I had the R but I'm only 21 so insurance is a no no at the moment :(

I'll be keeping an eye on your thread for what mods you do, look forward to seeing your progress but got to say the R's look great as they are!
P44RYT
I drive a: R-Line
With a: Manual box
Options: Airlift Performance, Rotiform TMB 3piece 2&3" polished lips, Full 2015+ R Facelift, R-Line spec, Stage 1 remap, Black splitter & skirt extensions, Twin exit PowerFlow exhaust, Carbon Fibre diffuser, Full RamAir, Full interior & exterior white LEDs

Post by P44RYT »

Nice, I really wish the cup holders were better on my Scirocco.. I love the rear folding cup holders though (I think mine just has a hole?) But its so rare i have anyone in the back im not sure its worth it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
https://www.instagram.com/p44ryt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom
Options: #TeamAF

INSTAGRAM: @tomhamsyo
Auto Finesse Sponsored

Post by Tom »

very nice dude! Love the carbon, kercher splitter looks amazing, definitely next on the mod list for me!
http://www.autofinesse.co.uk
DM me for Scirocco Central exclusive Autofinesse discounts/freebies with your next order!
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

crossplane wrote:Nice, I really wish the cup holders were better on my Scirocco.. I love the rear folding cup holders though (I think mine just has a hole?) But its so rare i have anyone in the back im not sure its worth it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
To be honest, the rear cup holders are more secure and well within reach from the front seats. I've usually got a bottle or two of something squirrelled in there for long journeys & it grips like a vice! If you're considering it, the rear is well worth doing, given its a genuine '10 minute fit' job. Certainly the lesser of two evils (plus what exactly did VW intend us to put in that wierd rear armrest hole?)
UKtom wrote:very nice dude! Love the carbon, kercher splitter looks amazing, definitely next on the mod list for me!
Thanks man, your motor is looking pretty epic! I especially like the ride height & rims, although I'd be worried about speed bumps. Would I be right in thinking the AirRide kit you've got on the way goes some way to solving this? The Kerscher front lip has to be one of the best looking spoilers on the market right now, I'll post up how the fitting goes in a few days!

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=22769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom
Options: #TeamAF

INSTAGRAM: @tomhamsyo
Auto Finesse Sponsored

Post by Tom »

Thanks man! Yeah, air should help with the speedbump situation... no more avoiding multi story car parks either :D

I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on the splitter - what's the build quality like and to see how the fitting goes. If all is good, I'll make a purchase!

Tom
http://www.autofinesse.co.uk
DM me for Scirocco Central exclusive Autofinesse discounts/freebies with your next order!
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

UKtom wrote:Thanks man! Yeah, air should help with the speedbump situation... no more avoiding multi story car parks either :D

I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on the splitter - what's the build quality like and to see how the fitting goes. If all is good, I'll make a purchase!

Tom
The build quality is incredible, it's a perfect fit & finished really nicely. Only thing I would comment is that the underside of the carbon wing is 'naked', a grey-beige fibreglass cross hatch. While it's not visible from any angle once the car is on the road, I sprayed it black to just finish off the look. 3 minute job, now it's perfect. Hopefully fitting it tomorrow!

bradley_nix0n
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by bradley_nix0n »

Will definitely be following this thread. Love the little changes you've already made! :yes:
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Quick update; rain stops play! Before putting the front lip spoiler on, I decided to clean up the front bumper (a few scrapes from previous owners). Sanding down & primer coat applied, second coat & paint still to apply before chucking on the carbon. Just waiting for British Summertime to stop being rubbish!

Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Second coat of primer and Candy White top layer applied, not too bad a match all in all!

Front spoiler should hopefully be on by Sunday if all goes to plan!

Carbon Goodies
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Carbon Goodies »

I'm glad everything arrived safely and I'm really looking forward to seeing it fitted.

With regards to the diffuser I'm struggling to find any other images, all I have are the ones on the website I'm afriad.

Cheers

Rick
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

A few new bits ordered & on the way:

Carbon Fibre Wing Mirror Caps

Mk7 Golf R Wing Badges

Also considering which diffuser to go for (Currently its the Kerchser Rear CF Diffuser C.£400 VS the Vary Reife CF Diffuser & Racing Light C.£1K)

Vs.

Will probably get the Kerscher CF Front grille too because reasons :clap:
Last edited by Maisonian on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carbon Goodies

Post by Carbon Goodies »

Send the wing badges back :-)

We have these coming very soon:

Also these too:

Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Returns postage might be a bit interesting...they're currently in Australia! Ironically it was cheaper to buy them as OEM parts from Aus and get them shipped to the uk, than to buy them directly from Germany. Go figure!

Chances are I'll bag the diffuser and front grille from you chaps, the front spoiler was spot on. Any chance of organising a deal on the two as a package? Still waiting to put it all on, if plans go ahead it might just be this weekend! Will upload the changes as soon as they're done so stay tuned!

Carbon Goodies

Post by Carbon Goodies »

Maisonian wrote:Returns postage might be a bit interesting...they're currently in Australia! Ironically it was cheaper to buy them as OEM parts from Aus and get them shipped to the uk, than to buy them directly from Germany. Go figure!

Chances are I'll bag the diffuser and front grille from you chaps, the front spoiler was spot on. Any chance of organising a deal on the two as a package? Still waiting to put it all on, if plans go ahead it might just be this weekend! Will upload the changes as soon as they're done so stay tuned!
Margins are very, very small but if there is something I can do I will.
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Carbon Goodies wrote:Margins are very, very small but if there is something I can do I will.
No worries, I can appreciate that! Payday next week so I'll have a peek at the finances and see about getting something ordered. I don't suppose you guys have a CF front/rear VW Emblem badge?

Many thanks!

Redmick1959
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Ultra Violet

Post by Redmick1959 »

Nice looking scirocco great mods so far
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Front spoiler and carbon wingmirrors are on! Will upload pics once I've given it a clean (and navigated very carefully out of a multi-storey car park)

kieran_67
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Leather heated interior, panoramic sun roof and folding mirrors, parking sensors, adjustable dampening suspesion

Post by kieran_67 »

Might be worth having a look on ebay at altenative carbon skinned diffusers.

I had a look at an OSIR one for about £450, and one on ebay was £120 that looked identical. I doubt the fitment/quality is much different too in reality...probably both made in the same factory!

Might save you some coins towards other goodies! looked nice so far though!
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

After a quick once-over with the pressure washer; the long awaited outcome:

Kerscher CF Front Spoiler:

Carbon Fibre Wing Mirrors:

Really happy with the outcome, I now have some Black Wing Mirror Caps to sell in reasonable condition. If anyone is interested (post to follow), by all means send me a PM.

I'm half toying now with the idea of a GT24 bonnet but I'm not a fan of the mesh-lines from a full carbon bonnet. To clarify, I'd be less inclined to go for:

and moreso this:

The question is (and I know its a bit of a daft one), can you directly paint onto Carbon Fibre? I'd happily get the thing sprayed as there aren't any non-CF Variants in this style that I've seen, but I have no previous experience of this as a possibility.

For now though, its onto the rear...
Last edited by Maisonian on Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.