Scratch obsession

Info about the best cleaning products and detailing.
Kamiljano
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Night Blue
With a: Manual box

Scratch obsession

Post by Kamiljano »

Hello, so I have this obsession about cars being clean and no sratches. But every time I clean the car I see new scratches, any tips on cleaning the car? I usually use a foam cannon and then bucket and sponge cause I had a bad time with the microfibre thing asit scratched the shit out of my previous car. I clean a tiny bit.of.the car first and.then check sponge for any dirt and rinse.
Is the two.bucket method any better?
Shall I try the microfiber mat thing again?
Please tell.me.what you guys do andtips
Andy's-TSI
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: RCD510 nav, panoramic roof, highline computer, Vienna leather, Dynaudio upgrade, flat bottom multifunction steering wheel, 19 inch wheels

Re: Scratch obsession

Post by Andy's-TSI »

Always use the 2 bucket method with grit guards In the bottom of both. A good microfibre or lambs wool mitt will do the trick too as any dirt shouldn't sit on the surface like it would a sponge.

What you are doing by snow foaming the car to start with will help break down the dirt then give it a good power wash to rinse any surface dirt before cleaning.

Once cleaned rinse the car off and try using a drying towel (YouTube will give some visual hints on best practice methods).

have a gander on cleanyourcar.co.uk as they have some great products plus a good forum for examples.
Roc Hopper
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
Options: CC RPS
Focal 165 VRS Fronts
HBK Sills and chrome fog rings
La Prealpina Aero Roof Bars off for now
Bluetooth done now
Chrome exhaust tips (yeti)
Recessed front plate

Re: Scratch obsession

Post by Roc Hopper »

Hiya
The basic rule of thumb is to touch the paint as little as possible during the clean.
For the actual wash get a microfibre madness incridimitt/ incredisponge - sponges are likely the cause of your problem
The theory (solid) is that the uniform density of the sponge along with its flat surface can cause any grit, dirt or other contaminants to scrape across the painted surface - this IS NOT your friend.
I use an incredisponge - others use lambs wool mitts, or even the microfibre noodles you can get cheaply from ASDA and to be honest generally don't even bother with the 2BM (but Walter is seldom dirty anyway) just use the following tips and you'll minimise damage potential
1 use snow foam or TFR to loosen any grime then PW off but don't get too close with the lance
2 work from the top down with a bucket of soapy water and use a grit guard in the bottom of the bucket
3 keep a separate noodle for wheels - do these last or use a separate water source
4 dry with a waffle weave towel. I use detail juice (or demon shine on my van) to get a streak free finish
5 wash the incredisponge & noodle afterwards to flush any nasties that are lurking within
6 if your really CDO keep incredi in a zip lock plastic bag once dry to prevent contamination (sad but I do)
Good luck

Use these tips and you should be good to go