Standard Exhaust, "Flapper Mod"

Everything about the R for potential owners.
Richrush
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Standard Exhaust, "Flapper Mod"

Post by Richrush »

Hello,

I know this has been asked before, many times, but I don't seem to be able to find the info that I want. The automatic valve on the exhaust, if this is left open what does it do to the the way the engine performs?

1. Increase MPG
2. Decrease back pressure/power
3. Makes it a bit louder, I know this one!

I've read a lot on this with all different opinions.

I would like the extra sound but not at the detriment of performance.

Cheers Rich 8)
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Standard Exhaust, "Flapper Mod"

Post by Cuprabob »

IMO it will have no impact other than change the sound. The valve is too far down the exhaust and only effects one exit to have any impact on back pressure and as such performance.
Richrush

Post by Richrush »

Cuprabob wrote:IMO it will have no impact other than change the sound. The valve is too far down the exhaust and only effects one exit to have any impact on back pressure and as such performance.
Thanks Cuprabob, yes I think you're right. As the other side is open cant see it doing to much. Would love to see the results on a rolling road :nod:

Anyway, going to try it this weekend if I get time and it's not raining. My R sites in my garage 99% of the time, don't think it seen day light this year :speechless:
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

I've recently just done this myself.

Bought the car with performance exhaust, removed it and fitted OEM exhaust with Milltek downpipe. I had the exhaust fitted a day before I performed flapper mod so as for fuel consumption i'll be no help what so ever but I can't say there was a huge difference (if at all) in performance.
Phil
thecrofter
Options: Tracker, Recaro Seats, Pano Roof, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, Black Gloss Folding Mirrors

Post by thecrofter »

If nothing else it'll even up the amount of soot on each tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2.0 TSi 280 R DSG Rising Blue / April 15 - 11 March 20
2.0 TDi 170 DSG R-Line Indium Grey / June 12 - April 15
2.0 GT TDi 170 DSG Salsa Red / May 10 - June 12
Richrush

Post by Richrush »

Thanks for all your replies.

Yesterday I done the mod, tbh I haven't noticed that much difference . I removed the pipe. inserted a legris plug in the oem pipe and a small length of silicon tube with another legris plug to stop any dirt entering the control valve.

It does pop and crackle a little more at low rev's. I have a long drive next weekend so this will show how much of a difference it has made. :vibes:
AussieRoccoR
In: Pure White
Options: Stainless steel "R" footrest covers
GTS stripes

Post by AussieRoccoR »

Richrush wrote:Thanks for all your replies.

Yesterday I done the mod, tbh I haven't noticed that much difference . I removed the pipe. inserted a legris plug in the oem pipe and a small length of silicon tube with another legris plug to stop any dirt entering the control valve.

It does pop and crackle a little more at low rev's. I have a long drive next weekend so this will show how much of a difference it has made. :vibes:
Thinking of doing the "mod"
would be interested to know how it went
"R" in GTS clothing
Richrush

Post by Richrush »

Made no difference to mpg, might be slightly louder at 60mph. No fault light which is what you would expect as it had no electronics on the exhaust valve.
Mpower06
Options: R-Line Seats

Post by Mpower06 »

Did this mod and it definitely made a difference to the sound, alot deeper for me even my GF said she could hear. In terms of anything else it made no difference.
Current : VW Scirocco R 2013
Ex : Corsa OPC
BMW M coupe 1997
Honda Civic 1997
Richrush

Post by Richrush »

So I think I'm going to get a re map, either Revo or APR. So my question is this, what cat back exhaust should I get? I'm thinking Milltek but can't make my mind up either resonated or non resonated? Has anyone on here had either fitted to there Scirocco R and what do you think? From what I've found out it depends on what car is fired to as to how loud it is. Some are saying non resonated is to loud, boomy etc but when fitted to another car is fine.

I'm looking for a little more sound, pops on over run etc but nothing that's going to get on your t#ts on longer journeys.

Cheers
jackssc
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Recaro Bucket Seats, Folding Mirrors, Panoramic Sunroof, Dynaudio Sound System, Rear Parking Sensors.

Post by jackssc »

Where can one find the details for this flapper mod?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Richrush

Post by Richrush »

jackssc wrote:Where can one find the details for this flapper mod?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Just take a look at the back box, find the pipe connected to exhaust valve, remove the pipe and blank the end. Job done
Parker97
In: Candy White
Options: All of them

Post by Parker97 »

sorry to revive such an old thread. I'm looking to do this mod and after a little help.

https://s119.photobucket.com/user/mx_ma ... 6.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what I see when looking under the Scirocco. I'm just wondering if that is the correct one to clamp?

If clamping is not the way to go and i should unplug and block, do I unplug it from the spherical black box or the one with the wires coming out of it?

Greatly appreciate any help I can get.
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Post by 2207 »

that's what I did last weekend and it sounds louder and I have airflow from both exhausts when idle