Headlight washer cap

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
00HVB
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Parking Sensors - Truffle Leather - Cruise Control

Headlight washer cap

Post by 00HVB »

Guys, my washer cap popped out today ..its half in and half out. I've tried pushing it back in but won't go and I don't want to break anything. Any ideas how I can sort it?
"Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead"
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Headlight washer cap

Post by RW1 »

Leave it, let it defrost next week after this cold weather.

Its probably frozen and the internal ice has expanded it outwards. Its a sign your screenwash is not strong enough to withstand the current air temperature. The main bottle may be OK but thats bulk, in small pipework a stronger solution is needed to keep screenwash liquid. I would strengthen the screen wash solution in the main bottle now, as its going colder towards the weekend.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
00HVB

Post by 00HVB »

Thanks for the swift reply. It is the little square insert beneath the headlamp unit that you're advising to leave isn't it? Because I don't have headlamp washer jets so how is the screenwash related?

Thanks for reminding me about the concentration though, I hope the cold spell doesn't last too long lol
"Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead"
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

my washer cap popped out today
So, where is this located ?

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
00HVB

Post by 00HVB »

Sorry for the confusion. I meant the square cap beneath the headlamp on the bumper. I believe its where the headlamp washer is housed in those cars equipt, mine isn't so its just a square cap.

It's popped out over night.
Rob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: Scirocco's gone!

Post by Rob »

I thought only cars with the actual headlamp washers had the covers? Mine aint got them and ive got a flush front bumper with no covers at all.
00HVB

Post by 00HVB »

Oh. Anybody know how to use them so I can check if iv got washers.

I jus went to the car in my break and its seems to have popped back in. I guess the elves must've done it lol.
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

I think you have the Winter pack fitted which includes the headlight washers. In which case the non-use and the screen wash becoming just water in the feed pipes has now frozen as above. The units use the common screenwash fill point in the left side of the engine bay and share the screen wash bottle with the front & rear windscreen washers.

Maybe the previous owner has taken the fuse out. You would have noticed them working by now since you bought the Scirocco.
Fuse SC36 - 20 amps yellow (ie. no. 36) in the side dash panel on the driver's side. Dash end cover flips off as per topic, using the ignition key or a smallish flat bladed screw driver.
(http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... ilit=+fuse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
(http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... c36#p66721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

My first post above applies.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
00HVB

Post by 00HVB »

cheers for that C. I've had the car for 6 months now and never noticed I had them..I thought they were banked out plastic coverings.

Would the headlight washers activate automatically when I use the windsreen washer by pulling back on the wipe stalk?

I'll check tonight when I get home to see if fuse is there, but why would the previous owner have removed it :s

Also I have no mini wipe blades on the headlights, I thought with the headlight washers there would be wipers..? Or no.
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

No headlight wipers, thats old fashioned :lol: Plus the profile of the clear perspex is poor to get a wiper blade to do a decent job.

Yes, pulling the stalk as normal but its not every pull. Every 5th pull with the headlights on, dipped or main beam.

Reason for pulling the fuse???
Cos what you've experienced today or didn't really want them squishing over nice clean paintwork or they just wanted the heated seats out of the package.

They or it will pop up again tonight as it gets cold. You need to get them working, increase the wash solution strength and flush that through to the heads so the wash liquid in the heads can withstand the freezing conditions.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
00HVB

Post by 00HVB »

Thanks mate..I'll be sure to give it ago tonight ..Increase the concentration of the washer fluid and make sure its in the piping for the headlight washers.

I've got the heated leather seats so it can't be due to the reason u stated.

Thanks for the info though mate, you learn something new everyday. The dealer dint even mention the winter pack when I bought it. What else apart from the heated seats nd headlamp washers do you get with that?
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

With leather: (headlight washers), heated windscreen washer jets, washer bottle low level indication in dash dials,

With cloth: above plus front seat heating.

Same for Xenons except headlight washers are compulsory anyway.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!