Recall Campaign 23K2 - Diesel CR 2.0ltr Engine

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Recall Campaign 23K2 - Diesel CR 2.0ltr Engine

Post by RW1 »

A recall has just appeared (07.12.11) on the Common Rail Diesel 2.0ltr fitted in the Scirocco. It does not specifically state what VW(UK) and UK dealers are doing with respect to this. It appears to be relevant to the European market as a whole.

The nature of the problem is a certain supplier's fuel lines which have scoring marks made during manufacture. When this is coupled with the pipes vibrating during certain operating conditions of DPF regeneration, cracks can be formed which lead to the fuel escaping. Not all Diesels are affected as the fuel supplier source has been replaced.

When the work is done, you will find under the engine cover, some additional rubber blocks which are anti-vibration balance weight items to change the resonance of the pipe work that crosses over the top of the engine (4 pipes) plus a bit of nylon over braid over a pipe near the throttle body. The pipework over the top of the engine is the pipes (4 off) from the common rail unit on the front top of the engine to the injectors at the back.

And the car gets the usual small sticker by the left side of the spare wheel on the metal boot floor with the campaign number recorded on it (23K2). Also the Service Schedule Logbook should have an entry in the back pages under Workshop Comments.

This explains a little more detail but bear in mind, VW (USA) run their own system of car maintenance separate to VW's rest of the world system .....
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/06/vw-a ... el-models/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This doesn't state Scirocco as its an USA article.

I can't find the specific chassis range but it appeared against a broad spread of the Scirocco production from 2008 - 2010 when I checked.

Those affected by this recall will be notified in writing from a VW source.

Here's some general advice provided by VAG Germany:
VW Germany wrote:Can I use the vehicle till it is checked/repaired?
Yes, the vehicle can be used till it is checked/repaired. But in case of a fuel smell the vehicle should be switched off straight away and a Volkswagen retailer asked to check/repair the vehicle.

Is there a danger for the consumers?
A crack of the injection pipe can lead to a fuel leak and affect the driving characteristics of the vehicle.

How long does the repair take?
Depending on the scope, the repair takes between 15 minutes and 1 hour.

Can the driver recognise the fault?
Yes, a cracked injection pipe can be recognised by a diesel smell and fuel loss.

Can I have the check/repair carried out all over Europe?
Yes, all Volkswagen retailers have been informed.

Do I have to make an appointment?
Yes, that's important. Your retailer needs to ensure that the necessary parts for your vehicle are available.
NB: These questions are part of the letter, so this last one assumes it has been recieved by the owner.
In the meantime before any letter arrives, be alert. If you have an engine performing under par and smell leaking diesel fuel in the engine bay, suggest you contact your dealer at the earliest opportunity and heed the advice in the quote above, particularly the answer to the first question in the quote.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Recall Campaign 23K2 - Diesel CR 2.0ltr Engine

Post by Cuprabob »

Very useful information, thanks
hardwick
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: parking sensors

Post by hardwick »

Much appreciated, thank you.
Gilez
Options: Folding mirrors, luxury mats, Black leather interior, DAB RCD510 Radio, Sill Protectors

LED side, interior, number plate, puddle and footwell lights.

DRL coded off, so side lights only. Beep for alarm set/unset coded on.

Build Week 5 2010
10.02.10 - on the boat to the UK
20.02.10 - Took delivery

Post by Gilez »

I have just received a letter with this recall on, so my car will be in in the new year. Mine is the 2.0 170 MY10.

The work apparently takes 1.5 hours........
I can rely on my car, it's my Roc!!!
ChrisL
I drive a: R-Line
In: Viper Green
Options: Bi-Xenons, Badge deletion, Parking sensors, Mobile phone prep, 19" Lugano, RNS510, Pan Sunroof, Cruise control, Elec mirros, Vienna Black Leather, electric seat controls, Sound Package. August 2013

Post by ChrisL »

Just had this recall work done prompted by dealer when booking a scheduled 20k service. Dealer suggested it added 2 hours to service time although in reality the car was handed back in much less time than that.
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Now found the production dates affected.....

Oct. 2008 to Nov. 2010

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
TagnuT
In: Viper Green
Options: RNS 510, Vienna Leather, DSG, Cruise Control, Rear Parking Sensors.

Post by TagnuT »

"And the car gets the usual small sticker by the left side of the spare wheel on the metal boot floor with the campaign number recorded on it (23K2)."

Thanks, now I know what those little stickers are for. :yes:
1 6 D
Options: RCD510 with 8 speakers
Climatronic
Cruise Control
tinted rear windows
aerial in rear window
MFA Plus
Multi function steering wheel

Self-added:
Cornering fog lights
Coming Home
Leaving Home
4 stop bulbs at rear
Folding mirrors+ambiente lights+memory

Post by 1 6 D »

My Scirocco TDI is from about 31 october 2008 and this page says it's not for my car:
http://www.volkswagen.de/de/servicezube ... ionen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT:
I have found some image from ETKA:
In this recall they add 4 dampers on pipes
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

1 6 D wrote:My Scirocco TDI is from about 31 october 2008 and this page says it's not for my car:
http://www.volkswagen.de/de/servicezube ... ionen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for that 1 6 D, the date range I posted is not VW, it comes from the German equivalent of the AA/RAC in the UK. People should as said, receive a letter asking them to visit the dealership.

If the Scirocco TDi is secondhand and the details on the VW system are incorrect for who is the current owner, then the letter will I assume, be sent to the address on the VW system. So maybe worth calling in for a chat with the Service Desk in these circumstances or relying on 1 6 D's VW link. (One would think they would use the registration document's information but there's no mention of using this approach to contacting the current owners.)
1 6 D wrote:EDIT:
I have found some image from ETKA:
In this recall they add 4 dampers on pipes
Yup, thats part of the mods, there's also a plastic fabric sheath over the pipe by the throttle body and some cutting of materials on top of the engine around a fuel pipe not shown above, which won't show on ETKA.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
1 6 D
Options: RCD510 with 8 speakers
Climatronic
Cruise Control
tinted rear windows
aerial in rear window
MFA Plus
Multi function steering wheel

Self-added:
Cornering fog lights
Coming Home
Leaving Home
4 stop bulbs at rear
Folding mirrors+ambiente lights+memory

Post by 1 6 D »

Today i will go to dealer and ask about this Recall, maybe on place they will say something else and i will have a recall. I'm first owner of the car.

Some friends have checked on this page US version of Golf 5 GTI and some polich Passats and it shows recalls.
Deft
In: Indium Grey
Options: Rear parking sensors

Post by Deft »

Our 170 TDI was built around July 2010 and just had its second (20000 mile) service. I asked at the dealer about this possible recall so thanks for the heads up. My bad description meant that he started saying it only affected the Passat, but then remembered there was a fuel line issue with some Sciroccos. He then checked my reg on some computer screen and confirmed that no work was needed. Only took him 1min, hopefully we didn't get our wires crossed anywhere!
Ian_Mac
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS 510, Leather, Winter Pack, Reverse Sensors, Electric Seats, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Xenons, Electric Folding Mirrors, Metal Pedals. Sadly gone now. :-(

Post by Ian_Mac »

I phoned Bath VW to find if mine was affected, they haven't even heard of the recall never mind knowing if work needs to be done.

:bang: :bang:
lewis
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
Options: metalic paint & winter pack

Post by lewis »

Have a question regarding the VW re-call – (no notification to-date.)

Mine is a 2009 (July so 2010 MY) 2.0L Diesel 140

My question is:
Does the recall work involve the removal of the Cam Belt ? Which I understand is normally ‘recommended’ for change at approx. three years.
If so, my car will be requiring a third year service within the forthcoming months – and if the Cam Belt requires removal for the recall – then it will no doubt be advantageous to have the belt replaced (at my cost – including cam followers etc) during re-call work.

I await an answer from the more ‘Technical’ members of the Forum.

Thanks
Jeff
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

lewis wrote:Have a question regarding the VW re-call – (no notification to-date.)

Mine is a 2009 (July so 2010 MY) 2.0L Diesel 140

My question is:
Does the recall work involve the removal of the Cam Belt ? Which I understand is normally ‘recommended’ for change at approx. three years.
If so, my car will be requiring a third year service within the forthcoming months – and if the Cam Belt requires removal for the recall – then it will no doubt be advantageous to have the belt replaced (at my cost – including cam followers etc) during re-call work.

I await an answer from the more ‘Technical’ members of the Forum.

Thanks
Jeff
I wouldn't think there is any need to remove the cambelt to work on the fuel delivery systemm which is what this recall is all about.
lewis
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
Options: metalic paint & winter pack

Post by lewis »

Drat.

Oh well the idea (hope) was worth it...thought I may have saved a few pence.

Jeff
Richard A
Options: SatNav, Winter Pack, Flat Tyre Indicator, Bi-Xenons

Recall action for 2009-2012 TDIs being reported in Germany

Post by Richard A »

Just a quick heads up that 'Der Spiegel' and ASP (AutoServicePraxis) are reporting that VW will be recalling 325,000 2.0 TDI equipped models (mostly VWs, but also some Audis, Skodas and Seats) built from 2009 to 2011. Affected VW models are Scirocco, Eos, Golf, Jetta, Passat und Tiguan, and the T5-Bus --> http://www.autoservicepraxis.de/groesse ... 92483.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Der Grund: "Es besteht die Möglichkeit, dass es durch auftretende Resonanzschwingungen in bestimmten Betriebszuständen in Verbindung mit der Regeneration des Dieselpartikelfilters zur Rissbildung an der Einspritzleitung kommen könnte. Das kündigt sich durch Kraftstoffgeruch und in Folge durch Austritt von Kraftstoff an", hieß es in einer übereinstimmenden Antwort der vier Fabrikatssprecher gegenüber asp-Online.

The reason: "There is a possibility that under certain operating conditions harmonically induced vibrations in connection with DPF regens can lead to cracks developing in the injection (system) pipework. The symptoms are smell of fuel and eventual leakage of fuel" according to a simultaneously issued statement from each manufacturer's spokesman (my loose translation).

Well, I always run mine at 2000rpm or above, nice and smooth...

But, seriously, I guess it's just a case of waiting for a letter to arrive, and the impression that I get from the rest of the article is that the problem may only affect certain batches (probably down to the supplier of the pipework), so not all Sciroccos may be affected.
Richard A

Re: Recall action for 2009-2012 TDIs being reported in Germa

Post by Richard A »

Whoaa... Mods, delete the thread please, I just saw it's already been mentioned.
Last edited by RW1 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Naaaa, keep up rear gunner!
Richard A

Post by Richard A »

S'OK, it's been merged. Wow that was quick!
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Its usefull to the topic Richard :)

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
yellowplum
In: Deep Black
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

Saw this, however I noticed on VOSA it was issued in 2011 - either it's not the same thing or I missed something.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls ... =Blank&tx=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;