fuel mpg average indicator

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
lugano
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

fuel mpg average indicator

Post by lugano »

Been checking the fuel average mpg indicator & on my its only showing 40mpg :?
Is this right. Would i have to be driving alot of extra urban for that figure to start going up?
newmans
In: Dark Oak

Re: fuel mpg average indicator

Post by newmans »

Mine is similar. Had it a week now, havnt read the instruction manual yet but after having a play with the computer i see there is 2 results for MPG. Both of mine are aroung 46mpg at the moment. I use the car to drive to work which is about 25 miles each way. The drive varies between 50-80mph on dual carriageways and your regular traffic at busy junctions and roundabouts. I certainly wouldnt think my drive is as uneconomical as some town drivers, so im a little dissapointed at only getting 45ish mpg to date.

However i read on another thread maybe its because the engine is bedding in still!

If i do only get 45mpg i will be fairly disappointed as those are nowhere near the figures quoted. Ive got the 2.0L TDI 140 GT.
lugano

Post by lugano »

Mines got approx 9k on the clock & with it being b/m i was expecting to see a respectable figure
lugano

Post by lugano »

Anybody else out there who gets similar readings like ours? below 45mpg or are there guys out there with better mpg readings :sleep:
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

I get readings varying from around 45mpg around town upto 65mpg when I do a motorway run. In the 9.5k miles I've done since getting the car it averages around 55mpg on the computer and about 52mpg in reality
chrisyboyc
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather,Criuse Control, Dynaudio possible RS6 alloys if i have cash

Post by chrisyboyc »

mines a 170 and has 51,000 on the clock after 20 months most of my driving is motorway and get around 49-52mpg on average. Its not just your driving style that makes adifference but the weather etc
If you see S9 CTC driving around give us a wave I do 40,000 miles a year it gets lonely out there
caprinolaw
Options: Bi-Xenon Headlights, Cruise Control, Scirocco Floors Mats, Boot Liner

Post by caprinolaw »

34k done (DSG) and I average 46-49mpg.
Jay.

30.06.2010 - Rocco ordered.
09.09.2010 - Rocco delivered.
sean28uk
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: bluetooth telephone kit, multi function steering wheel, 18 inch wheels, nicer mats

Post by sean28uk »

I think it does take a little while for the engine to bed in ( but this maybe just hearsay). I have a petrol 160 and get average 44 since new which is where it should be now, and that is 4000 miles since september. The first 1000 miles though I could not get above 38 mpg.

so many factors - road type, driving style, when you change gear, braking, weather, etc so sure they will all vary. Also doesnt wheel size and suspension setting affect slightly?
lugano

Post by lugano »

We've also an 07 reg astra 1.7 diesel & that also shows like 40.4 mpg. The b/m rocco of ours also shows you on the dash when to change gear from 1st gear onwards to economise on the fuel so i would have thought it would have displayed better mpg. :?
SciroccoRline
I drive a: R-Line
In: Reflex Silver
Options: R-line Exterior + Interior package. 19''Luganos, Truffle Vienna Leather, bi-xenon headlights+cleaning system, cruise control, E.foldable mirrors, sunroof, parking sensors+park pilot, E.driver seat,multifuction colour display, RCD510 Dynoaudio, anti-theft alarm, anthracite carpet mats, LLumar tint.

Post by SciroccoRline »

sean28uk wrote:I think it does take a little while for the engine to bed in ( but this maybe just hearsay). I have a petrol 160 and get average 44 since new which is where it should be now, and that is 4000 miles since september. The first 1000 miles though I could not get above 38 mpg.

so many factors - road type, driving style, when you change gear, braking, weather, etc so sure they will all vary. Also doesnt wheel size and suspension setting affect slightly?
From what i've noticed the driving style definitely plays a big role, more then anything else!
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Lugano: To average 40mpg in a 140TDI suggests one or more of the following:-

1. Your average journey length is short, not giving the car time to warm up for much of the journey.

2. Your average journey is in lots of congested start-stop traffic.

3. Your driving style is uneconomical (hard braking/hard acceleration/keeping the revs high during acceleration).

There are people out there that drive only 3 or 4 miles to work and wonder why their car is thirsty - what is your average annual mileage? Unless the above 3 points apply to you, you should be getting around 50mpg on journeys over 10 miles on mixed roads and expect 55-60mpg on a long motorway journey maintaining an indicated 75-80mph.

In my experience of TDIs (had 6 of them from new, in various guises), economy doesn't go up appreciably as these engines bed in. I normally find that I run them in quite carefully and my economy is at it's best then, dropping off a little when I drive it harder once it has been run-in. I normally see about 10% drop in fuel economy in the winter vs the summer (fuel is denser, air is drier, engine takes longer to warm up: in the cold). My 140TDI Roc didn't appear to loosen up much over my 2 year ownership, but my 170TDI seemed incredibly tight for the first few hundred miles then loosened up considerably over the next 500 miles.

If your 07 Reg Astra 1.7 Turbo Diesel only manages 40mpg then I would say the poor economy is caused by you and one or more of the 3 points above.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
eire
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Night Blue
Options: sports pack, 18" alloys,sunroof.

Post by eire »

dose this sound weird when i get on the motorway doing 80 {120km} my mpg keeps dropping and i have bluemotion!!!
panhandle
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Everything bar the panoramic..

Post by panhandle »

On a good day mine averages about 12 to the gallon - up the R!
lugano

Post by lugano »

Driving to work i reckon i'll be doing under 7k annually & throw in other driving i'll be doing after work will be approx 2-3k annually. Suppose youre right in mentioning that it takes time & style of driving etc to slowly increase the mpg. As our astra is being used more on the motorway since the last month & noticed the mpg is slowly creeping up. :bigthumb:
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Lugano: Have you had the DPF light come on since you bought it? If you are clogging your DPF with either predominantly city driving or maybe tehre is an engine/fuel system fault then you'll get poor mpg as a result. If you really don't think it is down to your commute or driving style then get the dealership to check it out.

Bluemotion will only increase your mpg so much, the biggest gainers from it are those who stop and start frequently during their commute, it will save you nothing on unclogged motorways when the start-stop and brake regen don't have the opportunity to kick in.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
lugano

Post by lugano »

I've only had the car about a month & it had approx 8.5k on the clock when i bought it, so i'll give it more time hopefully to improve the figures. No the dpf light has not come on.
eire
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Night Blue
Options: sports pack, 18" alloys,sunroof.

Post by eire »

you learn somthing new everyday.thanks. :)
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

I don't know how guys drive but I find it really difficult to get my average journey mpg below 50mpg and more often than not it's displaying over 60mpg.

In reality I'm getting around 55mpg
hardwick
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: parking sensors

Post by hardwick »

I've had mine a week now. Still grinning like a Cheshire cat and driving enthusiastically. Done 300 miles and getting 38.4 to the gallon.
Deagol
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Post by Deagol »

Going back to Maisbitt's list on 23rd November, I took mine one the "normal" home to work drive to day, starting with a cold engine. After the normal 11 mile trundle - mainly 40-60 mph cross country with a bit of town driving - my indicator showed 55.6 mpg which is common for me at this time of year. However, there was only a quick ten minute stop at the office followed by a drive home over the same route. Doing the journey with a warm engine recorded over 58 mpg. Traffic was similar and the driving stle was similar.

OK, I know that a single "test" is not a scientific comparison and I wouldn't use it as anything other than persuasive evidence, but if kind of highlights the effect on consumption when the engine has to warm the block, oil etc up as well as push the car along the road. The car manual does mention the effect of using heated seats, aircon, rear window etc on consumption. In the summer, I regularly got 58 to 62 mpg on the commute.

D
Baptised with Aerosmith