XDS

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
petk
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: 2FU, 3FG, 4F2, 7K9, 8G1, 9Q5, PDD, PJ3, PLB, PXE, RHZ, UG4, W11, W13, R-line styling kit, R-line springs

XDS

Post by petk »

Hi,

Had my car for two weeks now, fantastic car. I have checked all my options, except XDS. Everything has been fine with the car, so I'm sure it has XDS as ordered. But how do I check it?

Best,
Peter
erichuyn

Re: XDS

Post by erichuyn »

The traction control should be smoother than in cars without.You can feel it helping instead of just cutting the power abruptly as soon as a wheel loses grip.
I'm not sure if it's still active when you turn off the traction control but testing would be easy, quite a sharp turn and step on the loud pedal :D. If it keeps spinning up then no XDS while the TCS is off.
Caput Mortuum
Options: 18" Interlagos alloys, Dynaudio Excite, Media-In, Climatronic, Cruise Control, Winter pack, Defa engine & interior heater.

Post by Caput Mortuum »

XDS is controlled by the ESP so it shouldn't work either if ESP is disabled. Mind, I'm not sure if ESP can even be disabled totally.
erichuyn

Post by erichuyn »

ESP cannot be switched off completely on most VAG cars, Porsche and Lamborghini being the exceptions :P and maybe some Audi RS models.
U76

Post by U76 »

Kick.

I'm about to order a 1.4 TSI 160HP 'rocco with DDC shocks and manual gearbox. Now I'm wondering if I should pick the XDS option. Its not that expensive. (250 Euro here in Netherlands) But is it any good? I read in tests that for instance the Scirocco R, who has this as standard, is still suffering from spinning inner wheels in sharp, fast driven corners. Same is for the Skoda Fabia RS with XDS (a completely different car, of course)
I also wonder if there would make much difference for the 1.4 TSI, because it has much less torque than the "R" version.

By the way, I dont understand the difference between Traction Control and XDS. Anyone does? They both limit slip of the front wheels, right?
Caput Mortuum
Options: 18" Interlagos alloys, Dynaudio Excite, Media-In, Climatronic, Cruise Control, Winter pack, Defa engine & interior heater.

Post by Caput Mortuum »

ESP has a function called EDS as standard, which is electronic differential slip. XDS is a feature that further enhances it this feature that tries to better emulate a real mechanical slip differential. What it does is that it regulates the power put through the inner wheel in corners, whereas the standard system only is capable to completely cut the power or from the inner wheel using the ABS. Correct me if I'm wrong!?!?

I went and tried to change my order to incorporate XDS but couldn't add it anymore at that point. First I was gutted but have since learned more of it and now am pretty much at ease. I probably would still add XDS had I got the chance, as it doesn't cost that much. There are quite a few reviews that don't give it much praise though. It has been called intrusive for one but I wouldn't know.
U76

Post by U76 »

Yeah, I expect it only to be good when it would deliver more power to the outer wheel then only TC would have done.
I've driven the Alfa Giulietta a couple of time which has a similair device. Indeed it corners very good, but so did the XDS-less Scirocco 1.4 I drove the other day.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

would be nice to here some feedback on XDS, i know one member who has it and previous car had a quaiffe lsd, i've heard mixed reports from some saying its a bit hit and miss so doesn't give the driver confidence
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
1 6 D
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
With a: Manual box
Options: RCD510 with 8 speakers
Climatronic
Cruise Control
tinted rear windows
aerial in rear window
MFA Plus
Multi function steering wheel

Self-added:
Cornering fog lights
Coming Home
Leaving Home
4 stop bulbs at rear
Folding mirrors+ambiente lights+memory

Post by 1 6 D »

Can somebody with original VCDS ask how to activate XDS on forum from link?
Now I don't have VCDS and I can't find help without actual Autoscan.

http://www.vagcomforum.de/index.php?sho ... st&p=66149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
luisgguedes
Options: Panoramic roof, Bluetooth, DSG

Post by luisgguedes »

erichuyn wrote:ESP cannot be switched off completely on most VAG cars, Porsche and Lamborghini being the exceptions :P and maybe some Audi RS models.
You can turn off ESP! In VCDS go to ABS module > Adaptations > Channel (one of these) 88, 89 or 90 > set value from 1 to 0 > test > save.
This way ESP is COMPLETELY turned OFF.

To activate XDS is also simple!
Just go to the ABS module > Long Coding > Byte 17 > activate Bit 3
Just like this

Only works on cars prior to week 45/2009, i.e. with new A/C.
1.4 TSI 160cv Sport DSG7 White
Full led (exterior+interior)
Vag-com costumization
Eibach Pro-kit
gggg!

Post by gggg! »

You mean that ALL roccos (from 45week 2009 with new climate control, and on)
have XDS software pre installed, and you can just activate it via vcds?
Are you sure? As far as i'm concerned, from week 45, it was an option from the factory, with a cost approximately
of 240euros...
luisgguedes
Options: Panoramic roof, Bluetooth, DSG

Post by luisgguedes »

YEP!!! ALL roccos have it pre installed!

Beyond making the step i told above.
You also have to go to adaptations> channel 36 > and then set a value from 0 to 2. This adjusts the sensitivity.
In 0 rarely intervenes.
In 1 its weak.
In 2 it's strong. (I use this one)
(In 3 not working.)

With all those steps i told you, the care changes completely! It's much more responsive, turns much better, if you turn off traction control you feel it even more. Actually you have the feeling that the car has all-wheel drive.
It works even in golfs and in Skodas.
It's completely a must do on vag-com!
1.4 TSI 160cv Sport DSG7 White
Full led (exterior+interior)
Vag-com costumization
Eibach Pro-kit
gggg!

Post by gggg! »

Thats great news! :clap:
One last question: if you have switched Εsp off, -via vcd- the xds is still working, or not?
armjcb
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue

Post by armjcb »

Hi all, I'm a little confused on whether its worth activating XDS on my September 2010 model, after reading other posts I am getting mixed messages on if it is pre installed on my model or if it is only on the vag com software as a routine section, any answers????
awesum
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Pano Roof; Xenons, RNS510; PDC, Revo stage 2, S3 Intercooler

Post by awesum »

luisgguedes wrote:YEP!!! ALL roccos have it pre installed!

Beyond making the step i told above.
You also have to go to adaptations> channel 36 > and then set a value from 0 to 2. This adjusts the sensitivity.
In 0 rarely intervenes.
In 1 its weak.
In 2 it's strong. (I use this one)
(In 3 not working.)

With all those steps i told you, the care changes completely! It's much more responsive, turns much better, if you turn off traction control you feel it even more. Actually you have the feeling that the car has all-wheel drive.
It works even in golfs and in Skodas.
It's completely a must do on vag-com!
I checked the settings on my Golf 6 GTI and its set to 0
mike-p

Post by mike-p »

I've just set it up on mine, simples!

Now I just need to give it a road test tomorrow.
Life's too short to go slow

Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance 2.0CR
Revo, Steinbauer & Oscarli Dealer for Suffolk and N.Essex
mike-p

Post by mike-p »

Interesting, the car certainly seems more planted on the twisty bits, it will be interesting to see what it's like in the wet.
Life's too short to go slow

Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance 2.0CR
Revo, Steinbauer & Oscarli Dealer for Suffolk and N.Essex
danf430
I drive a: Scirocco R

Post by danf430 »

are the sweeping dails a standard feature on the R??? or do i have to use VAGCOM??

Cheers
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

danf430 wrote:are the sweeping dails a standard feature on the R??? or do i have to use VAGCOM??

Cheers

Its standard
sj968
Options: Cruise Control, Bluetooth.

Post by sj968 »

Had the XDS enabled for a couple of months now and overall results are positive, definitely worth it if you have the cable. Traction control doesn't activate as early on and seems to make the car 'pivot' more through tight bends. Can even provoke the back end out now rather than just washing wide!! Hopefully looking to take the Roc on a second track day so will see if it helps at all there!