Next car... What 4x4 to get?

jc74
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Cruise Control, Leather, Sunroof, DVD Satnav, Parking Sensors

Next car... What 4x4 to get?

Post by jc74 »

Hi guys, being all motorheads on this forum was wondering whether anyone would be up for dishing some advice and opinion?....

I'm looking to replace the Roc with something which is:-
- 4x4, so can handle snow a bit better
- Can handle Potholes with ease (millions of the damn things everywhere)
- Is automatic (city driving)
- Fairly sensible CO2 ratings and fuel economy (reduce running costs!)
- Something where I can fit a couple of bikes in the back without having to use an external rack.

So far I'm thinking the new BMW X3, new LR Freelander 2 or new Audi Q5. Though fairly open minded...
Any suggestions/ideas/good or bad experiences?...

Thanks
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Re: Next car... What 4x4 to get?

Post by Kev »

I quite like the Q5.

What about the Ford Kuga?

Golf R? :)
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

when are you going to require use of a 4x4?! :rofl1: ;)
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

my road is littered with X1s and X3s and the subject of much amusement in the snow, they were scarily bad

if you are going down that route look at a Tiguan R-line 170 TDI with DSG (200 ponies with a map), its the only soft roader i've warmed to

keep the roc and get a Landrover Defender 90 Workhorse or as Kev said Golf R, S3 or RS3 Sportback, Audi are probably giving way A3 TDI S-lline Quattros
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
wigit

Post by wigit »

the Q5 looks like the result of a Boris Becker cupboard incident between a Q7 and A3, just wrong!
jc74

Post by jc74 »

4x4 - when it snows! - also I very occasionally will travel to hillly parts which don't get gritted! The Roc struggled this christmas!! - Though a LR defender may be overkill(!)

Damn potholes and speed bumps are really putting me off anything with low profile tyres or low ride height. Also having a 4x4 means at car parks, people will only open their doors into your tyres rather than dinging your doors :D

Only got one parking space so two cars isn't really a viable option at the moment (also given the fact that I only use the car around 1-2 times a week, having 2 cars may be overkill!).

6 months lead time for a new X3, so I'm planning ahead for November/December 2011 :)...
My concern with Kuga is it might be a bit small for bikes, though I will actually give it a look into (and see what/if the auto version is any good).
Sounds like I'll have to give the Tiguan a closer look, I assume it'll fit bikes in the back fairly easily? - Though it may be a little on the small side...
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

Just buy some winter tires for the Roc then!

My French FD had a Q5 3.0 TDI for a week whilst her A5 2.7 TDI was being fixed. She said the Q5 was pants and very soft but you'd prolly like that from what you've said. Quattro and DSG.

Even with 4WD you'll still need the right tyres for the occasion to make use of it.
Nasher
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: Tilt Roof, Cruise Control, Leather Interior, Autoglym life shine, OPS, Black mirror caps, bootliner, steel pedal covers, scirocco sill plates, 19 "Dotz Predators, Revo stage 1, lowered with KW springs, vinyl wrap to roof, plate insert and lower rear splitter - still not sure!

Post by Nasher »

Well sad to say it folks but 'Kermit' has been redundant :eyepop: for a few months now on the account of the snow and that parking at work in the car park is like Glastonbury :grumpy: so........ we got a cheap 4x4......................a toyota rav :nod: ...................sorry but had to save on tyres and polishing :nod: - cost me 2 tyres last time we had the snow which were beyound repair and.... Mr Hewhore grounded Kermit :cry: and damaged the sill when he went down a pot hole :eek: result £1000 to repair thank you very much - not! Council didn't want to know - wonder why ?? so he will have to be repaired at a later date it's not that noticeable really unless you get on all fours....

So am slumming it at the moment but when I do take him out at the weekend :wow: I come ALIVE again :clap:

:D
wigit

Post by wigit »

don't blame you nasher, i've been toying with one of these as a runabout, thought it would be ideal around town and in tescos carpark

Nasher
Options: Tilt Roof, Cruise Control, Leather Interior, Autoglym life shine, OPS, Black mirror caps, bootliner, steel pedal covers, scirocco sill plates, 19 "Dotz Predators, Revo stage 1, lowered with KW springs, vinyl wrap to roof, plate insert and lower rear splitter - still not sure!

Post by Nasher »

Wow ..Hewhore wants one of those :nod: to go with the ED30!

Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

wigit wrote:don't blame you nasher, i've been toying with one of these as a runabout, thought it would be ideal around town and in tescos carpark

Hope you've got the flat cap pipe and slippers to go with that ;) maybe not the 12 bore tho!!!
jc74

Post by jc74 »

Nasher wrote:Well sad to say it folks but 'Kermit' has been redundant :eyepop: for a few months now on the account of the snow and that parking at work in the car park is like Glastonbury :grumpy: so........ we got a cheap 4x4......................a toyota rav :nod: ...................sorry but had to save on tyres and polishing :nod: - cost me 2 tyres last time we had the snow which were beyound repair and.... Mr Hewhore grounded Kermit :cry: and damaged the sill when he went down a pot hole :eek: result £1000 to repair thank you very much - not! Council didn't want to know - wonder why ?? so he will have to be repaired at a later date it's not that noticeable really unless you get on all fours....

So am slumming it at the moment but when I do take him out at the weekend :wow: I come ALIVE again :clap:

Wow, you were really unlucky to get so much damage from a pothole. Got a few big holes around here (the type where you feel it's hitting through the tyre onto the rim!) but fortunately managed to avoid them on the whole for now, and will drive especially carefully!
jc74

Post by jc74 »

Checked out an X3 and a freelander 2. Must say, quite impressed with the Freelander, makes you really feel you could crush the people down there driving around below you :D

They immediately offered 18.5k part-ex for my (very soon to be) 2yr old Roc. and 0% finance payable in 2yrs time... Will have a think and subject to negiotation could well get one....
The X3 was way too expensive and didn't really feel like a proper 4x4! and the salesman put me off by saying how it's so much better because it's "bmw" :grumpy:
albertz33
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

Volvo X60! or my collegue has a Nissan Pathfinder, it had no problems in the snow!
jc74

Post by jc74 »

Yesterday, ordered a Freelander 2 sD4 XS Auto (190bhp) for end of March delivery.
They'll give 18,400 for the Roc in March, and 9% discount off list price, plus 0% finance over two years for 40% of the balance.
Basically I'll hand my Roc in, and they'll give me a cheque for a few thousand :D and then in 2 years time I'll pay the remaining outstanding amount...

They *still* haven't fixed any of the many local potholes :grumpy: so 4x4 will definitely be welcome!
Anakin
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
Options: 19" wheels Leather, DVD Nav Dynaudio, Phone prep, cruise control and folding mirrors

Post by Anakin »

Tiguan , best depriciation of any new Car last year 68% retained value after 3 years ! and the 170 TDI engine is cheaper to spec on it than the 140 !? ?
I'm trying to talk my mum into one instead of her 7th Golf ...
Solar Orange TT RS
jc74

Post by jc74 »

Anakin wrote:Tiguan , best depriciation of any new Car last year 68% retained value after 3 years ! and the 170 TDI engine is cheaper to spec on it than the 140 !? ?
I'm trying to talk my mum into one instead of her 7th Golf ...
Wow, I didn't realise, that's very good (especially if you can get say a 9-10% discount off list price too). However, too late for me now, already ordered.

You should tell your mum that the Mk7 Golf is probably due next year - that might make her think twice before getting a new Mk6?
Ian_Mac
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS 510, Leather, Winter Pack, Reverse Sensors, Electric Seats, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Xenons, Electric Folding Mirrors, Metal Pedals. Sadly gone now. :-(

Post by Ian_Mac »

I'm liking the look of the new baby Range Rover, coming soon to dealerships.

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/rr/new-range-rover/

If I were swapping for a 4x4 I'd give it some serious consideration.
albertz33
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

How much are they likely to cost?
jc74

Post by jc74 »

Bottom of the range starts from around 30000 so unfortunately a lot more than a freelander :(.

Though it does fortunately mean no regrets getting a fully specced up freelander instead for less than the bottom of the range range rover :)