Your 1st winter as a Scirocco owner

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
SmiffyDSG
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Panoramic sunroof, Winter Pack, Folding door mirrors, Rear parking sensors, Cruise, Flat tyre indicator, Mats.

Your 1st winter as a Scirocco owner

Post by SmiffyDSG »

For anyone who is just about to enjoy their first winter with a Scirocco, specifically ones that leave their cars parked outside overnight, now would be a good time to invest in a can of 3 in 1 silicon spray (or the like).
Give all the rubbers that have any contact with your drivers and passengers window a thorough soaking. That way when the frost comes you won't have that feeling of horror when you unlock the doors and the windows don't drop, leaving you wondering how on earth you are going to open the doors ! :)
mike-p

Re: Your 1st winter as a Scirocco owner

Post by mike-p »

Gummipfledge works wonders too.
Life's too short to go slow

Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance 2.0CR
Revo, Steinbauer & Oscarli Dealer for Suffolk and N.Essex
Sanders83
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Bi-Xenon lamps

Post by Sanders83 »

Blimey! Didn't think of that. Is it really that much of a problem?
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

or krytox :) eta: you only need a few drops per seal, a little goes a long way :D

Sanders
it depends where you keep your car overnight, it is worth doing anyway as you never seem to know what the weather is going to do during the winter days now.
& worth noting if the windows get frozen & 'confuse' themselves (don't return to closed) then they can be reset by completely winding down then up

S
Ian_Mac
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS 510, Leather, Winter Pack, Reverse Sensors, Electric Seats, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Xenons, Electric Folding Mirrors, Metal Pedals. Sadly gone now. :-(

Post by Ian_Mac »

I'm debating whether to fit a set of front mud flaps to try and save the sides from all the crap on the road. :eek:

Already been into the dealers for a set of rubber overmats but they didn't have any in stock. :cry:
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

i think they always have to order them in Ian, they only take a few days to come in. they are very worthwhile, i've got a pair, need to swap them into the car at some point soon actually..

S
The Don

Post by The Don »

Is this an issue with VWs? I live in Scotland, and I've never had issues with getting doors/windows open on my Toyotas.

Does the cold generally affect it?
trix
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

its because the scirocco has frameless windows.
all cars with frameless windows wil be affected because (in simple terms) instead of having a metal frame at the top of the door with seals where you pull the frame away from the body you have the window glass up in the channel of window seal therefore the motor has to 'pull' the window down before you can open the door, if there is any resistance ie ice, it will not put excessive pressure on the motor to lower the window the required amount (so that the motor doesn't burn out) by lubricating the window seals with any of the suggestions above (which are designed to impregnate the seals to a certain extent) they will be more pliable and less likely to freeze solid and freeze against the window glass.

S
Jane
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: Gone forever.... :-((

Audi TTS... Making me :-)) again

Post by Jane »

I had forgotten all about this having owned a car with framless windows before, it is a real problem, and the cold wind sure does blow where i am, where do i get Krytox from Trix ? never heard of it. A little job i definatly need to do.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Hi jane,

The cheap source on Ebay (just checked) at £2 is not showing but here's the VW product, expensive at the dealers but bear in mind a couple of tear drops does a window for several weeks. Apply a drop by putting on finger tip and running down the outer seal. You just have to rub it into the rubber with a rag.

Krytox

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Sanders83
In: Rising Blue
Options: Bi-Xenon lamps

Post by Sanders83 »

Does it leave smear marks on the top of the windows?
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Yes it does.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

I bought this back in Feb.

Will apply it to the seals soon!
DAR

Post by DAR »

^^^^^

Good stuff, used it on the Ed30 then the Cayman S and now the Roc. The Roc has a similar set up to the cayman with regards the front windows.

I also found it stopped a slight squeak I had on the cayman, when the window moved slightly on the rubber, when driving on rough roads.
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

Its water collecting and freezing on the outer scraper seal that prevents the window drop, not the seals on the edges of the glass.
Jane
In: Deep Black
Options: Gone forever.... :-((

Audi TTS... Making me :-)) again

Post by Jane »

RW1 wrote:Hi jane,

The cheap source on Ebay (just checked) at £2 is not showing but here's the VW product, expensive at the dealers but bear in mind a couple of tear drops does a window for several weeks. Apply a drop by putting on finger tip and running down the outer seal. You just have to rub it into the rubber with a rag.

Krytox

C.
Thanks for that :yes:
Ian_Mac
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS 510, Leather, Winter Pack, Reverse Sensors, Electric Seats, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Xenons, Electric Folding Mirrors, Metal Pedals. Sadly gone now. :-(

Post by Ian_Mac »

trix wrote:i think they always have to order them in Ian, they only take a few days to come in. they are very worthwhile, i've got a pair, need to swap them into the car at some point soon actually..

S
Yeah they said they could get them in next day but it was VW in Stoke I'd popped into while driving home from Carlisle.

Not got round to popping into Bath or Bristol VW yet, must do it soon.
The Don

Post by The Don »

trix wrote:its because the scirocco has frameless windows.
all cars with frameless windows wil be affected because (in simple terms) instead of having a metal frame at the top of the door with seals where you pull the frame away from the body you have the window glass up in the channel of window seal therefore the motor has to 'pull' the window down before you can open the door, if there is any resistance ie ice, it will not put excessive pressure on the motor to lower the window the required amount (so that the motor doesn't burn out) by lubricating the window seals with any of the suggestions above (which are designed to impregnate the seals to a certain extent) they will be more pliable and less likely to freeze solid and freeze against the window glass.

S
Ah right, yeah, that will be why I've not had issues with the Avensis. :D

I guess there would be a case for a winter remote start for cars with frameless windows.
Shaun
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

To be fare i have had issues with both the Golf and the wifes fiesta when it was really cold even though i had used Gummi pflege both cars were stuck shut !!, a bit of luke warm water helped though, i will be looking for some of that special £30 VW stuff, if anoyne knows of an online seller please let me know :-)
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

182_blue....

TPS + discount FTW!!!