Frozen windows

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
NickO
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Truffle Leather, Panaromic Roof, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Premium Mats, Boot Liner

Frozen windows

Post by NickO »

Hi all,

Anyone have trouble with door windows being frozen to the door rubbers? No problem in the morning outside the house, cos it's simply some luke warm water to solve the issue, but it was particulary cold when leaving work tonight and I think I was lucky that the passenger one dropped so I could get in that way. :nod:

It does say in the manual that under no circumstances if the windows do not drop should the door be forced.

Any ideas? How do Scirocco owners cope in European countries wth colder climates? :?
dchuraman
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Re: Frozen windows

Post by dchuraman »

i actually gave a dealer a call about this and his advice was...dont buy a car with frameless doors!

anyway i usually find that cold tap water does the trick, doesnt need to be warm, as the cold tap water will be warmer than the frozen ice anyway, and you minimise the risk of cracking. Needed to do it every morning this week down here
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

not a new issue
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... ?f=2&t=384

been recommended this from another forum, not ordered any myself

Rubber Protection "Gummi Pflege"

• Special conditioner for rubber door and trunk seals ("weather-stripping").
• UV and anti-freezing protection. Prevents doors from sticking to body in cold temps.
• Not a dye or dressing. Rejuvenates colour, maintains elasticity for longevity.
• Easy and quick to apply. No-mess built-in applicator sponge.

Long-lasting protection against freezing for rubber seals on car doors, windows and boots. Protects and keeps the rubber elastic. Restores color to dried out rubber. Protects against extreme temperature and UV rays. Solvent-free, water-based formula. Easy-to-use shoe polish type applicator makes application simple without the mess.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26ps%3D42
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
NickO
Options: Truffle Leather, Panaromic Roof, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Premium Mats, Boot Liner

Post by NickO »

Thanks for replies guys.

I'll think i'll just stick to the water treatment and maybe keep a can of de-icer in the boot for emergencies. :)
albertz33
In: Viper Green
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

isnt there anything in the manual about treating the seal with a silicon based product? when i got my GTI the manual said to treat all rubber and seals with this to stop freezing.
albertz33
In: Viper Green
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

FYI,

Have seen two of these cars now on VW forecourts with the door shut and the window outside the seal, so that the door is almost prized open at the top :eyepop: , anyone found any problems with the 'window drop / raise' mechanisim??
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

only they go a bit bonkers when trying to get steering lock off
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
CTRnutter
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Post by CTRnutter »

albertz33 wrote:FYI,

Have seen two of these cars now on VW forecourts with the door shut and the window outside the seal, so that the door is almost prized open at the top :eyepop: , anyone found any problems with the 'window drop / raise' mechanisim??

Yeah every damn morning I try to get in, the only way around it is to unfreeze both windows before trying to open the car!
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
adamj
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Metallic paint,mats, prem sills, Merlin Cloth, Hatchbag and a nice stone chip on the bonnet.

Post by adamj »

i actually gave a dealer a call about this and his advice was...dont buy a car with frameless doors!
Don't you just love dealers............ :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
egobreed
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Nada!

Post by egobreed »

Well, I guess it's that time of year again - I was walking down to the car this morning, scraper in hand, and I thought, "how the hell am I going to get in if the windows are frozen shut?!"

Luckily the driver's side plipped down so I could get the engine on, but I think it must have come up again, because I couldn't get the door shut. I had to manually move it down about half way. So, I think some cold water will be needed tomorrow, and probably for the next 4/5 months!

Has anyone found any decent silicone sprays / seal treatments since last year?
Dalai
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Opal Silver
Options: Rear parking sensors.
Metallic paint.
Winter pack.

Post by Dalai »

Clear the thick ice with a scraper then spray along the bottom window seal with de-icer, leave for a few moments then try opening. Works for me and I live out in the sticks up a hillside. :yes:
rocccosiffredi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: I never ordered a 170!!!!!!!

Post by rocccosiffredi »

Do the windows stick at the top as well as the bottom?
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

rocccosiffredi wrote:Do the windows stick at the top as well as the bottom?
Yep :cry:

Deacon
playing in my '86
biggles
Options: Black leather, winter pack,dsg.

Post by biggles »

I was getting sick of having this issue every time i tried to get in over the past couple of weeks. Yesterday i bought some stuff from halfords called "3 in 1 silicone lubricant spray". It repels moisture and in theory stops the glass sticking in the seals. I squirted a good dose up into the seals yesterday and so far so good........it was -5c here last night and opened first time this morning!
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

:clap: good one biggles, as RW1 has said previously somewhere treat the seal at hte top of hte door along the bottom of the window too if possible :)

S
Malcolm
Options: Satnav
Leather
Reversing Sensors
Folding Mirrors
Cruise control
Carkit
CD Changer (Dumb Choice!)
K&N Filter Replacement
Pentagon Supaglass
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.3 19" Matt Black

Post by Malcolm »

Deiced last night before bed as snow was frozen and was getting harder, window went down but not up, going to leave an oil heater in tonight as an idea, -8 they recon and I'm on outskirts of London!! Door also only just opened and all seals been siliconed last week.
May have to ditch nice heated seats for a cold van if this keeps up....... :(
http://www.chemtec.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Karcher-Center-Chemtec for all your Karcher Cleaning Equipment Needs!
0845-890 3600 #1
biggles
Options: Black leather, winter pack,dsg.

Post by biggles »

Minus 9 last night and still opening like a goodun. All seals drenched in silicone spray a few days ago.......its the future!
Gary_Monkey
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2Zone Climate Control, Multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift and Highline computer, Front Fog Lights, Mats front and rear.

Car ordered 30 June 2009.
Car built Build Week 43.
Car built and at check point 5 (20/10)
Car now at check point 7 (21/10)

Post by Gary_Monkey »

I too have suffered with the dreaded frozen windows. One morning last week (at -12°C) I had to literally rip open the drivers door to access my vehicle. Not good. So I read this thread and went out and bought some Silicone Lubricant from Halfords (see can pic below). Only £3.99 so worth a punt.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I sprayed it onto a cotton cloth and applied it by rubbing it well into the rubber seals all around where the window slides/locates. I tested it by opening and closing both doors many, many times to make sure the silicone was well worked in.

I'll let you know how it performs in the frost.

Gary Monkey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Car now at docks waiting to board ship. Due to sail Sat 24 Oct! 23/10
Car now at a UK port being checked. 26/10)
Car still at the port of Sheerness until 3 Nov. Grrr 29/10
Car at dealers and being prepped. 3/11
Car Deliverd :-) 10 Nov 2009
SCOTT

Post by SCOTT »

this sounds good do let us know, much cheaper version than the vw one on here
Malcolm
Options: Satnav
Leather
Reversing Sensors
Folding Mirrors
Cruise control
Carkit
CD Changer (Dumb Choice!)
K&N Filter Replacement
Pentagon Supaglass
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.3 19" Matt Black

Post by Malcolm »

Autoperfection will supply silicone I'm sure if not we sure can........ Give them an email.
As per other post also been putting a towel over handle to stop frost freezing handle closed (sensor in there too)
Silicone bottom rubber (ie top of door too) I gave up wiping it just spray on and leave. Saying that haven't done boot and haven't got in since last Tues!
http://www.chemtec.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Karcher-Center-Chemtec for all your Karcher Cleaning Equipment Needs!
0845-890 3600 #1