Rocco's and Snow

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Candy Monster
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Re: Rocco's and Snow

Post by Candy Monster »

I'm just back from sledging, had to be the first one out there! I'm resigned to the fact I'm not getting to work tomorrow so at least I can have a lie in on the pretence I'm working from home :-)

It started about 9pm here in surrey. By 11 we had about 6 inches.

looks like the mods are on hold for now...
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

Don't think I'm going anywhere today.

The hill out of my estate looks almost undoable and the show is deeper than the front lip.

RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

1. The tyres are too wide, smaller than 235mm width for the weight would be better.

2. In certain circumstance the Traction Control works but there seems to be something like a Diff-Lock missing when on totally slippy surface. Had one wheel stuck this morning, the other just spinning with the traction light flashing on. No matter how low I kept the rpm, traction still didn't help. All this was in reverse gear so don't know whether it works only going forward.

And above 6 inches depth of snow ie. 8 - 9 inches of snow today, the flying regulations are:

- Don't bother reversing or parking where you'll need to reverse later. It doesn't do it! It just wedges itself in. Very apt photo Kev above to illustrate where not to start from!

- Forward only and it's fine once on top of soft snow and moving through it. And the traction control seems to work with an initial couple of flashes when setting off.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
polo classic
Options: H&R Ultra-lows and BBS RS-GT 9,5 20

Post by polo classic »

RW1 winter tyres would solve all of your problems. The standard tyres are not ment for these conditions
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

polo classic wrote:RW1 winter tyres would solve all of your problems. The standard tyres are not ment for these conditions
You're right. The car's mainly OK on the well trodden roads, even if they are white and there's no salt/grit.

Part of the problem today was the Scirocco was sitting "pancaked" up on top of the snow outside work, as I tried to drive across the last bit of fresh snow and stop to park. The car sank, so lightening the load on the tyres. Thats why I wrote 6 inches above. TBH, any car doing this maneouvre would end up the same. :shake: :rolleyes:

Even just off idle with the foot padding the accelerator for a second to engaged the DSG gears caused minor getting starting problems as the idle couldn't pull, the wheels turning slowly going no where in the elevated postion they had.

Carpets, :wink: gone to do that right now, plus a shovel! :yes:

All good fun!
C. :)
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

I'm a genius :D

If you don't happen to have a shovel to hand, just get a milk carton....
One shovel, with easy grip handle and light weight non stick coating :D

wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

Kev wrote:Don't think I'm going anywhere today.

The hill out of my estate looks almost undoable and the show is deeper than the front lip.
blimey kev and there was me thinking mrs wigit was over egging it when she said it i'd get stuck if i came home
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
yellowplum
In: Deep Black
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

polo classic wrote:RW1 winter tyres would solve all of your problems. The standard tyres are not ment for these conditions
This is correct you need winter tyres, however winter tyres are better in general this time of year as they are meant for temperatures that we usually get. The issue is no one uses them in this country and you can't ordered them from the dealer as an optional extra even though they are available everywhere else.

I've ended up ordering a set of alloys and tyres separately - very annoying but it has to be done.
Jacktherat

Post by Jacktherat »

Kev wrote:I'm a genius :D

If you don't happen to have a shovel to hand, just get a milk carton....
One shovel, with easy grip handle and light weight non stick coating :D

That would make a useful poop-a-scoop for some of my fxxxxxx lazy neighbours to clear up after Fido. :D
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

wigit wrote:
Kev wrote:Don't think I'm going anywhere today.

blimey kev and there was me thinking mrs wigit was over egging it when she said it i'd get stuck if i came home
Problem is it's looking icy out there now so it might be harder to get out tomorrow than today but I need to get to work tomorrow so I'll have to give it a stab.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

Kev wrote:but I need to get to work tomorrow so I'll have to give it a stab.
don't be silly Kev why would you need to go there?! :lol:

we've had a couple of inches here but it isn't causing too many problems, apart from the moron who decided they couldn't possibly break 15mph :eyepop: on a fully treated road on my way to the parents. I had some sideways fun round a roundabout in the village & some slippy slidy action at the end of the parents driveway (sheet ice + trying to turn into an upward incline driveway = many point turn/slide & wheelspin but eventually getting front wheels on to drive & some grip :D )

S
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

trix wrote:don't be silly Kev why would you need to go there?!
Unfortunately it's a 2 part experiment I started on tuesday and the next bit is due thursday or the whole thing has to be scrapped and started again at great expense :( So I'll have to get slithering tomorrow whether I want to or not.
wigit

Post by wigit »

walk and bus kev......... no me neither
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

Nah I'll have a crack in the car first.
I basically only have to get 300yds to the road and I can do it easy.
wigit

Post by wigit »

Kev wrote:Nah I'll have a crack in the car first.
I basically only have to get 300yds to the road and I can do it easy.
thats the spirit you dont want to be mixing it with the window lickers on pubic transport :D
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

Well I have to say, DSG is brilliant in the snow.
Just put it in R or D and take your foot off the brake and it just creeps at the right kind of speed to get you out of the snow. None of this revvy wheel spinning business that you see so many people (incorrectly) doing. There was even a guy in a DSG Golf GTi in the works car park this morning gunning it like mad. I stopped to try and give him a push then noticed his gearbox and told him to just put it in D and let off the brake and hey presto the car starts creeping along. So much simpler :)
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

Interesting pic I saw today showing just how extensive this cold snap has been

Candy Monster
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Post by Candy Monster »

wow, that's impressive kev! :eyepop:

Andy - window lickers, lol! :clap:
CraigusMaximus
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Electric folding mirrors

Post by CraigusMaximus »

My car is horrid in the snow - I was out in my car last night with a friend who has a leon fr with 18s on - he reckons he gets far more grip and far fewer slips. Ive got the dreaded dunlops though.... that might explain it!
skirkybaby
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Dynaudio Soundpack

Post by skirkybaby »

The snow has gotten the better of mine, through no fault of my own.

Setting off to go sledding with friends earlier, roads hvae frozen icey snow all over them - nightmare out here in the "arse end of nowhere" as my girlfriend calls it.

Anyway pootling along at a safe 15mph till I got out on the main road, but all of a sudden a huge tractor with trailer came flying around the corner ahead at 40mph+ in the middle of what is already a too small road.

Saw me, slammed his brakes on and slid his tractor sideways into me, pushed me right off the road, over a ditch and upon onto a bank.

Needless to say my poor Roc is now in pieces, half the body hanging off and scraped to hell. Missing a wing mirror and rear light clusters etc etc. Worse yet, no witnesses and crazy yokel tractor driver somehow seems to think it "wasn't anyones fault".

Hopefully thought when I speak to insurance later today they will sort it all out and get my poor roc fixed up :(

After having a massive puncture a week earlier on the rear left with hardly any wear on it, 2010 is not going so well for me and my roc :(