Intercooler needed for Stage 2?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
PM91
I drive a: R-Line
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Intercooler needed for Stage 2?

Post by PM91 »

Hey guys,

I'm eyeing up getting my Scirocco mapped and thinking of skipping stage 1 and going directly to stage 2 since I have an induction kit + DP installed already.

Is it absolutely mandatory to have an intercooler installed to get a stage 2 done?, has anyone done this and what's their experience or recommendation.

It should be noted it's my daily driver, I'm not racing or doing any sort of mad shit with it, I'm also living in Scotland which I think lessens the need since for the better part of a year it's always in cold air most of the time.

The engine is a EA888.3 CULA version also if that makes any difference.
bigkris06
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Pewter Grey
With a: Manual box

Re: Intercooler needed for Stage 2?

Post by bigkris06 »

There’s a lot more to getting a stage two remap than just an induction kit and DP. Yes you would need a larger inter cooler, but then may need to think about turbos, injectors and fuel pump etc, then maybe an upgrade for the clutch. if it’s your daily and don’t want to change too much maybe stick to stage 1, pop your reg into Celtic tuning and see what figures you can get from a stage 1… you may be happy with them.
Hope this helps 😀
percy_tc
In: Deep Black

Post by percy_tc »

I have Stage 3 CULA. You best bet is to do a simple ECU remap. With stock internals you will get about 260 hp / 400 Nm which is great fun and affordable.

If you want to go further, i advised to go for the followings:

-Bigger intercooler
-Replace panckage cooler pipe to CTS charge pipe.
-Hybrid Turbo
-New injectors (Audi S3)
-Forged Pitons (but avoid 2618 and for 4032 alloy otherwise you will have small knocing during cold start), forged con rods, racing crank bearing
-Upgrade you brake disc and brake pad (EBC yelowwstuff etc)
-DQ250 is fine with stock clutch for me @ 430 Nm.
-I'm fine with stock HPFP, it is doing 200bar pressure. IF you want to go over 400 hp, you need upgraded one.
PM91
In: Candy White

Post by PM91 »

That's some great insight and information.

I'm not chasing figures so I think I'll take your advice and just stick with a stage 1, I'll probably get a lil extra since it's got a high flow DP installed with an aftermarket induction kit already there so yeah, well see how it goes since I also want to start doing some exterior stuff to make it look a bit better along with the performance gains.