Deciphering VW's oil change instructions.

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
fisherthewol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Basic AF

Deciphering VW's oil change instructions.

Post by fisherthewol »

Hey All,
Doing an oil change soon (once my autodoc order gets here). Reading through the maintenance guide from Erwin, it says: "For engines with standing oil filter, the oil filter must be renewed before changing the engine oil. When the filter element is removed, a valve is opened. The oil in filter housing automatically flows into crankcase."
If I'm reading this correctly, I should replace the oil filter before draining oil on my engine (CCZB), as it will allow oil out of the filter into the sump?
IE the correct way to change oil is: 1. Open filler cap and dipstick 2. Replace oil filter. 3. Drain oil. 4. Replace oil plug. 5. Refill oil.
Best,
Fisher.
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Re: Deciphering VW's oil change instructions.

Post by Roy_01 »

Correct the oil in the filter housing flows into the sump when you untighten the filter+cap+spindle. On the end of the spindle sits an o-ring that blocks of this port when the filter is installed.
fisherthewol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Basic AF

Post by fisherthewol »

Thanks Roy, that makes a lot of sense. Guessing it is designed not to make a lot of mess, given it's position? Pretty sure my engine is a canister-style filter rather than a replaceable-filter style.
Roy_01
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box

Post by Roy_01 »

If the cannister is top mounted on the engine then it has simillair drain function.