2013 1.4 TSI - Dead Engine?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Itsmj
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box

2013 1.4 TSI - Dead Engine?

Post by Itsmj »

Hi all,

Bought my scirocco in October as I've always wanted one and thought it would be a great little run around for work!

Fast forward a month and it seems I've bought a lemon.

Context, it had full independent service history, its water pump and belt (or chain, I can't remember now and the book is in the car) changed at 33k-ish miles, and seemed decent. It's now on 77k-ish.

I noticed a few weeks after buying it, it had a weird judder when accelerating, and it would idle just a tiny bit higher for a split second before idling normally.

I'm guessing these were the warning signs of the failure to come... I booked it in for a service and inspection, but it died before getting to my appointment!

On a junction at around 8mph, my car just turned off and lost all power, I parked on the side and it never started again.

Having looked in the engine bay, my crankpulley had fully detached itself, pretty much exactly as another post has described on here a few years ago. The pictures they've posted are idential to mine...
(https://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum ... p?p=209481)

I have taken it to a garage but they're not filling me with much confidence...

So, my question, does anyone have any experience of this issue, and if so, what did you do?

Otherwise, any advice is welcome as I'm not sure whether I need to be looking for a new engine, or taking mine to get refurbed. And if so, does anyone have any recommendations on a trust worthy garage / company to do these works, I'm based in Bolton.

Many thanks in advance,

Matt
bigkris06
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Pewter Grey
With a: Manual box

Re: 2013 1.4 TSI - Dead Engine?

Post by bigkris06 »

Did you buy the car privately or from a trader?
Itsmj

Post by Itsmj »

bigkris06 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:11 pm Did you buy the car privately or from a trader?
It was a private sale unfortunately, shame as it has great history! Full service history, I'm the second owner, and the previous owner was 'sensible' lets say! But no recourse from the seller as it's now my problem.

No reason why this was to be expected! But 70k miles seems to be when they fail form reading online, frustrating through as this has had its timing and pump changed around 40k miles ago!
bigkris06

Post by bigkris06 »

That’s a real shame as if it had come from a dealer you would have had some rights however with private sales as you say, it’s now your problem. It looks like the previous owner looked after it as they should by keeping to the service schedules etc, I know that’s no help to you now but I think it may be more bad luck than the car actually being a lemon.
If you were only doing 8mph when it happened your own engine may be salvageable so getting your own reconditioned may be an option to keep things original?
It does seem to be a common problem with this engine so I’d maybe if funds allow avoid a used engine. If you are forced to go down the used route maybe replace the known problem parts while the engine is out.
Unfortunately I am in a completely different part of the country to you so I don’t know anyone in your area in terms of engine rebuilding but a good look online should give some reputable companies. Once you find one you think may fit the bill, check and double check the reviews online. Ignore any reviews that have only left one review ever and pay close attention to the reviews that say the person reviewing has left several (to filter any that a company may have left for themselves. I use a couple of guys who have been in the business for years, their workshops look like something out of the ark but their reviews are amazing and they always have a waiting list which is another good sign!
Sorry I can’t be more helpful but I hope this points you in the right direction 😊
Itsmj

Post by Itsmj »

bigkris06 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:18 pm That’s a real shame as if it had come from a dealer you would have had some rights however with private sales as you say, it’s now your problem. It looks like the previous owner looked after it as they should by keeping to the service schedules etc, I know that’s no help to you now but I think it may be more bad luck than the car actually being a lemon.
If you were only doing 8mph when it happened your own engine may be salvageable so getting your own reconditioned may be an option to keep things original?
It does seem to be a common problem with this engine so I’d maybe if funds allow avoid a used engine. If you are forced to go down the used route maybe replace the known problem parts while the engine is out.
Unfortunately I am in a completely different part of the country to you so I don’t know anyone in your area in terms of engine rebuilding but a good look online should give some reputable companies. Once you find one you think may fit the bill, check and double check the reviews online. Ignore any reviews that have only left one review ever and pay close attention to the reviews that say the person reviewing has left several (to filter any that a company may have left for themselves. I use a couple of guys who have been in the business for years, their workshops look like something out of the ark but their reviews are amazing and they always have a waiting list which is another good sign!
Sorry I can’t be more helpful but I hope this points you in the right direction 😊
Hi Bigkris06!

Thanks for such a considered response, started feeling lonely on here with no response lol!

Definitely agree it seems to have been 'one of them things'

I've done exactly as you've suggested, and researched reputable companies and have found an old school mechanic (he's 71!) who said he doesn't like scirocco engines, but that is enough to tell me he's worked on one before! He's also got good reviews online and they seem genuine, and frankly, he uses a telephone line for his contact, that and after our conversation, I'm relatively comfortable in his abilities, I just hope I was at a low enough rpm and the engine isn't too damaged, ultimately I decided similar to what you've said, any other engine may have the same issue, they'll be likely condition and servicing unknown, whereas with mine providing its repairable, I'll have a well looked after engine with rebuilt components which should do the vehicle for a few years.

And with it being the CTHD engine which was proving essentially impossible to source due to it being an auto anyway, it should be pretty solid for another 100k (if its repairable at all).

I'll update with any update I get, for nothing more than if anyone else has the same issue google might lead them here. Hopefully it'll not cost too much but let's see!

Got an etron as my daily now so it'll be lovely to have my sporty petrol as since getting the etron I really miss being lower to the ground, I don't get the suv hype at all and although the etron is a lovely place to be, the drive lacks so much feel!
bigkris06

Post by bigkris06 »

No problem mate… sorry I couldn’t be anymore help.
Sounds like the guy you have chosen could be just the ticket.
Fingers crossed there no (or very little damage) internally.
Once rebuilt it should last for your ownership and beyond 😊
eenbadendaap
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Dark Oak

Post by eenbadendaap »

Hi Matt,

That's unfortunate to hear. I was curious if you got an update regarding the engine ?

Thanks !