Potential Scirocco Purchase

Everything about the R for potential owners.
N12ASH
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Potential Scirocco Purchase

Post by N12ASH »

Hi chaps,

I am a returning member of the forum and previous Scirocco owner. I've been driving an Evoque for the last 5 years but before that I had a 1.4 tsi. I'm now considering buying an R.

I've had a bad experience (timing chain) on the Evoque I have now, and I am just wondering if there any major pitfalls on the R?

I'm looking ay 2018 preferably, but all the ones I have seen so far, have had multiple owners. Sometimes 3/4 and even a 5 in one case. This is slightly off putting given that the car would only be 5 years old now.

Anyway, your thoughts would be great. Hoping to purchase in the next couple of weeks or so.

Cheers
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Potential Scirocco Purchase

Post by Cuprabob »

The Scirocco R has a timing belt which VW UK recommend is changed at 5 years, irrespective of mileage therefore if you are looking at a 2018 car it's something to bear in mind.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the number of owners as performance cars tend to change hands quite often. I would focus on condition and service history.
N12ASH

Post by N12ASH »

Ah right, very interesting they ssay that irrespective of mileage! I'll bear that in mind as I don't want to go through that headache again. Cheers Bob
N12ASH

Post by N12ASH »

So after looking at numerous R’s the past 2/3 months, and having put deposits down on a couple, I’ve finally picked up what I wanted this afternoon. I ended up getting one from a main dealer in Doncaster with the right mileage and right year, so I have a bit more piece of mind which is good. The sales guy was great with me from the first phone call through to the very end so no complaints there which is the way it should be.

Safe to say I am buzzing with my purchase and happy to be back behind my second Rocco. It’s certainly very different from my 2011 1.4 🤣 I’m already thinking of what subtle mods I can do! Will post a picture up in the next couple of days 😎
finetrond

Post by finetrond »

Welcome to the club. A stellar choice.
Collector of warning lights.