Looking to purchase first Scirocco - after some guidance

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
clueless_carman
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Looking to purchase first Scirocco - after some guidance

Post by clueless_carman »

Hi all,

I'm in need of transport after moving back home, and while I've never been too bothered on what I drive, the Scirocco is really tempting me.

I will be getting the car on finance looking to pay ~250 a month with a smallish deposit, this puts me at about £12-13k value.

I've spotted 2014 models (2.0TDI 175BHP) with less than 40,000 miles in this bracket, some newer models with less power (2017/18) but then you're looking at about 70k miles+

1. What would you personally recommend? assuming whatever I go for has full service history and I get it checked by a mechanic
2. Are there some key maintenance works I should be looking out for at the mileages I'm looking at, 40k, 70k for example.

Appreciate any input and help.
Jack
Deagol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Re: Looking to purchase first Scirocco - after some guidance

Post by Deagol »

This article on the site MIGHT help you - I have not read it in full and the magazine article links from 9 years ago may be broken now.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=13001

I'd be careful about paying lots for an 8 year old diesel with only 40,000 miles. Feels a bit low annual mileage implying increased engine wear. My TDi 170 is coming up for 13 and has done 176,000 miles.

And how much connectivity do you want for things like your phone? My 2010 did not come with bluetooth and therefore will not cope with a mobile.

As part of the qualified mechanic opinion, make sure you get reassurance on the timing belt being replaced at the correct intervals (chain for petrols) and do a LOT of reading if you consider a 1.4 petrol, there are some real horror stories requiring engine replacement depending on the model year. I don't have an opinion over the standard versus high mileage service intervals.

I would also make sure the entire underside is looked at - subframes, suspension points, floor pan, the whole thing. I started to get corrosion warnings from my garage a few years ago and found a local bodyshop who did a full underseal treatment to slow the rust problem dramatically.

You don't specify your normal weekly / daily mileage - presumably you haven't fixed on diesel over petrol? And if your commute takes you into congestion zones / clean air zones then you might want to check out the typical charges for that - hours of fun with a calculator ! (Hope you don't mind mentioning some peripheral issues relating to choice of car)
Baptised with Aerosmith