Battery

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
kyle9472
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Battery

Post by kyle9472 »

Hi I haven't drove my car for a while. I went to drive it the other day and it wouldn't start. I jumped the car and it started first time. My problem is when I turn the car off and go back to it its dead again. Its been like that for a few days dow. I can't get a new battery until the end of the month and so decided to buy a battery charger for the mean time. I figured because it was dead when I went to charge it the alternator couldn't charge it with enough amps for the cold weather. I want to take my battery out of the car to charge it fully however I have read once the battery is removed the memory of the car could get compromised. Is it okay for me to take the battery out to charge it until I can buy a new one? It worked perfect in the summer especially two weeks before it needed jump starting. Can someone help please?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Battery

Post by Cuprabob »

There is no problem taking the battery out to charge it. Cold ambient temperatures impact the performance of a battery, especially if it's getting on a bit and after a cold start it takes a really good run for the alternator to charge the battery.

When you re-connect the battery or fit a new battery a couple of warning lights (ESP & Steering) will remain lit until the car is driven a short distance to allow the steering angle sensor to re-calibrate. You may also have to perform a reset on the windows and re-adjust the passenger mirror dip on reverse position but other than that, it won't 'forget" anything.

Rather than use a conventional battery charger you could use a battery conditioner form the likes of CTEk or Optimate. These allow you to charge the battery without you having to remove the battery from the car, assuming you have access to mains power where the car is parked.

When choosing a new battery, consider a good quality Bosch or Varta one.
Last edited by Cuprabob on Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kyle9472

Post by kyle9472 »

Cuprabob wrote:There is no problem taking the battery out to charge it.

When you re-connect the battery or fit a new battery a couple of warning lights (ESP & Steering) will remain lit until the car is driven a short distance to allow the steering angle sensor to re-calibrate. You may also have to perform a reset on the windows and re-adjust the passenger mirror dip on reverse position but other than that, it won't 'forget" anything.
What do you mean by perform a reset on the windows?

Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

kyle9472 wrote:

Sometimes for the one touch function to work you need to open the window fully and continue to hold the button for a few secs and close the window fully and again hold the button for a few secs. I'm sure the procedure is in the owners manual. You only need to do it if the one touch function stops working.
kyle9472

Post by kyle9472 »

Cuprabob wrote:
kyle9472 wrote:

Sometimes for the one touch function to work you need to open the window fully and continue to hold the button for a few secs and close the window fully and again hold the button for a few secs. I'm sure the procedure is in the owners manual. You only need to do it if the one touch function stops working.
Thank you!!! Will I have to lock the car with key as there will be no battery to use the fob?

Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

I would lock the car before you take the battery out and leave the bonnet open on the safety catch so you can replace the battery without having to unlock the car before power is restored. I may be wrong but I'm sure even if you use the key to lock / unlock the driver's door it still needs power for the lock to operate.
kyle9472

Post by kyle9472 »

Thank you!