Freezing windows.

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Paddylad
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Don’t know what was an option. It’s got 19” Cadiz alloys, black leather and infotainment system. All I know is it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Freezing windows.

Post by Paddylad »

As a new owner of a Scirocco, can anyone advise how I stop the door widows freezing to the rubber seals and causing damage when trying to get in on frosty mornings.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Freezing windows.

Post by Cuprabob »

I use a product called Gummi Pflege on the window seals. It lubricates the seals and reduces the risk of the window freezing to the seal. You can get it from Amazon and Ebay.

In really cold temps I carefuly run luke warm water around the window edges prior to unlocking the car.
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

Yep it's an age old problem with most frameless doors.

I'd also vote for gummi. Don't over do it but just put it around all the seals. I also have (as I still have frameless doors but not a scirocco any more) a little squirty bottle which I put tap-hot water in to and run that round the edge of the frame then press the glass all round and then it should open. The thing not to do is to try and pull the door open. If the glass doesn't drop when you move the handle then apply more hot water and try again.
Paddylad
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Don’t know what was an option. It’s got 19” Cadiz alloys, black leather and infotainment system. All I know is it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Post by Paddylad »

Thanks both for your reply. I have brought some of the Gummi stuff and I will give it a whirl.
Tenko73
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: VWR 600 Intake, Forge B.O.V., H&R Lowering Springs (35mm), Ferrodo Discs and Pads (recommend), Gloss Black VW badges, Blue Led Interior lights, De-activated DRL's, Brushed Aluminium Scirocco sill plates, Sachs dual mass flywheel and clutch upgrade, Stage 1 Remap (custom).

Post by Tenko73 »

I use WD40 Silicone spray.

Spray it between the seal and window.

As it's a silicone, it doesn't make the window greasy. Do it once a month during the winter and it works a treat.
Misanthropes need people; without a steady supply, the misanthrope cannot fully apply his art.