Juddery Dread

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Munkystone
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Shadow Blue
With a: DSG box

Juddery Dread

Post by Munkystone »

Hi, have just joined and am sure I'm not the first person to ask this but can't find the thread if it has been asked before ...

I have a reasonably modified 59 plate 2.0 GT TDI (DSG) and have been getting a fairly nasty judder through the steering wheel from 60mph upwards or in gearbox money 5th& 6th gears. Thanks to the internet ..... the cause of these symptoms have been everything from timing sensor, egr valve/egr valve plug, injectors, fuel filter etc etc I'm leaning towards clutch tbh but was wondering if anyone on here could furnish me with a more well informed diagnosis - or even just some similar symptoms may help before I take the plunge and go balls deep with the clutch comitment.

Cheers in advance

J
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Juddery Dread

Post by Cuprabob »

First thing to do is to scan it and see what fault codes are stored, especially if you think the judder is down to a misfire.

The thing that is confusing me slightly is that you say you are feeling the judder through the steering wheel and that it is speed related which kind of implies it's not an engine issue but a drivetrain issue. You can confirm which by getting it tobthe speed that it judders and knock itninto neutral and let thebengine drop to idle while the car "freewheels". If the juddering remains it's a drivetrain issue and if the juddering disappears it's an an engine issue.

If it's drivetrain then check the folowing:
Front wheel balance
Front wheel buckle
Front tyre damage
Wheel bolts are all tightened to correct torque
If spacers are fitted, confirm they are hubcentric.
Check bushes / track rod ends.

If it's engine;
Scan it and check for fault codes.