My Stage 2 1.4 TSI CAVD Scirocco

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
vladandrei51
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Night Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: REVO Stage 2
Wossner Forged Pistons
Fox Sportauspuff Quad-Exhaust
VWR VW Racing CAI
3" catless downpipe & 3" catback (custom)
S3 intercooler
De-Cat / De-Res
03C906036M Injectors
NGK BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
NGK U5002 48003 Coil Pack
Revised Timing-Chain

My Stage 2 1.4 TSI CAVD Scirocco

Post by vladandrei51 »

Hi,

Been posting for quite some time on this forum and decided to finally show my car. Her name is Miley and I bought her somewhere in May last year (2018) at roughly 128k km, now she's still kicking ass at ~151k.

Unfortunately, this project is almost done but I want to give a comprehensive look what I've done and my thoughts on it so it might help others.

It is a 2009 Scirocco, with not the most options in the world (pretty much none, but we fixed that to an extent) but the quad exhaust and the aftermarket silencer sold me instantly (Fox sportauspuffanlagen something, found the approval certificate for it in the car).

Now, as you might've guessed, the car's been through some hardware/software modifications, currently at roughly 250 hp and 360 nm. I will try to present the mods in chronological order and my input on it

1. Timing chain first, during hot summer and if you were to not start the car in a week for instance you could hear a pretty bad metallic sound that would go away only if you restart the engine. The mechanic confirmed the tensioner and the chain itself were on their last breath.

2. Later on I went for the S3 intercooler, which was a day and night difference, definitely recommend it for everyone even in stock form.

Fitted in NGK SIZFR6B8EG and then got my Revo Stage 1 for 95 RON gas here in Romania. Let me tell you, the difference in performance is unbelievable, 10 times more noticeable than going from stage 1 to stage 2 (which we will get to in a sec). I've always said that from my experience and trail and error, your best low-budget bet for a CAVD would be revised timing chain, revised pistons, S3 intercooler and a stage 1, you can't get any more car for this money!!!, the amount of cash you have to put in afterwards just to squeeze an extra pony from this engine might not be worth it (for some).

This stage 1 got me at roughly 210 hp and 320 nm iirc ( I don't have the dyno sheets in front of me)

3. This is where we went crazy, in a span of less than 2 months I've got the following upgrades, some of them were to prepare for stage 2, please read my bolded recommendations:
- VWR Intake - made absolutely 0 noticeable performance or sound difference from inside the car, from outside the car you could hear some woosh-ish sounds, do not recommend wasting money on it unless you really wanna go stage 2
- NGK BKR7EIX - no difference, no rough idle or such, needed for stage 2 (I was ok with NGK SIZFR6B8EG when stage 1 and stock)
- Wossner forged pistons - installed since, you know, CAVD pistons/rings are shit, my compression was perfect with stock pistons however the mechanic said my rings slowly but surely started to leak oil (I've had 500-1000ml oil consumption at 7.5k - 10k km and now is 0). For the break-in I've used Millers CRO 10w40 break-in oil and opted for a soft break-in, some agree with this strategy, some say just use regular synthetic oil and drive it like you stole, I'm not saying my method is the best, I'm saying my method is what I've done and I've had no issues regarding performance, compression or > 0ml oil consumption as of then, strongly recommend getting those if you have CAVD and planning on tunning the car, if not KS might be cheaper (like 3 times cheaper for me). I've heard some run stage 2 with KS pistons, however, for peace of mind I wouldn't.
- 03C906036M injectors - dirt cheap used from ebay, bought for peace of mind, no real world difference, people talk a lot of shit about the old revision injectors, some smart people here blame them for piston failures. Since they're cheap I recommend getting them. I've gambled getting them used from ebay, had no issues.
- Latest revision DV - for peace of mind, the old one was torn apart literally, no real-world difference, I do recommend getting this regardless considering how the old one looked
- de-cat - needed for stage 2, some recommend sports cat with this car for the turbo, the car felt slower (in between taking out the actual cat and going to revo for stage 2), do not recommend unless you really wanna do stage 2
- NGK U5002 48003 coil packs a kind forum user here recommended me these and this article: http://www.gt-innovation.de/wordpress/t ... tage1-2-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . They say
Those NGK coil packs with the code : 48003-u5002 are used on 1000hp builds in rb26 Engines and not only, so be sure that they can definitely fit the needs of a 1.4 tsi engine with 300hp or 400hp, so don`t through your money away for nothing.
Definitely recommend unless you want to go for R8 packs which might or might not be necessarily
- De-ResL Sounds a little bit with more bass, a little bit more volume, gf didn't notice any difference in sound, I heard it does nice farts with the DSG however. For the price of getting it off, I'd say why not :rolleyes:

4. After the break-in was done, literally the following day I went to revo for their 100 RON stage 2, again, I don't have the dyno sheet in front of me but it made somewhere in the neighborhood of 240 hp and 350 nm, the difference was not mind-blowing, the dyno clearly showed that until 3500 rpm the hp/torque was literally the same, I almost dare to say that it almost didn't feel any improvement in real/relaxed driving, probably the tune itself didn't make that much power on its own but the other upgrades slowly added power when I was stage 1. For the money you have to spend on the intercooler, intake, exhaust (in my country not really, but for some going de-cat would be troublesome) and whatnot, I don't believe it's worth it unless you want to squeeze the last hp you can on stock turbo..

5. Custom De-Cat De-Res 3" downpipe + 3" turbo back exhaust (basically I only have the Fox silencer in there). I can't tell you enough how much power and torque this adds low-end, I dare to say it added 10 horses easily. I also dare to say it made more difference than going from stage 1 to stage 2.

That was it with the performance upgrades, pretty happy with the results. I've recorder a 0-100 km/h of 6.4 seconds. Mind you it was done using a phone stopwatch and until I had ~102-103km/h on the speedo. The first gear was slipping all throughout until 2nd gear so a better driver than me could time less I suppose :shrug: . Never tested top speed.

Now, remember when I said the car came with pretty much no options? The interior originally looked like this

Now it looks like

I've upgraded
- Retrofitted cruise control (HUGE improvement even tho I don't do highways often)
- RCD330g plus with android auto and bluetooth, no more phone into the AC vents :p
- the speedo to one from a Golf mk6 GTI, looks business, shows oil temperature which I really like :p
- Steering wheel to a Golf mk7 R Line, absolutely love it, buttons are not working atm, I've read on retrofit forums that even with a highline steering wheel column model you still need to do some custom adaptations, my previous cars all had steering wheel buttons and didn't use them much so I'm not sure if I will continue investing into this.
- Plast dipped the plastic trims to matte black, it makes a nice and subtle difference imo

Future plans:

Not much tbh, I got more hp than I ever hope to from this little engine, oil consumption after 5k km is 0. The plan was always as much power as I can with daily-driver reliability which I believe I've achieved.

Not looking forward to throw in some forged rods thus not planning to go for a hybrid turbo or whatever.

- Take out the "Scirocco" and "TSI"badge from the rear and the VW Logo from the front of the car
- Going to get my plastic trims to a professional and have them painted to something resembling piano black, the plasti dip looks rather cheap.
- Switch my bulbs to something like osram for a white(r) light
- Still debating whether to get lowering springs or not, we don't have the best roads :D

Current problems:

Couple months ago my car refused to go to reverse and sometimes first 2 gears, bought a new gearbox from a wrecked 2010 CAVD scirocco and now I started getting the reverse issue again :D Bonus, 2 or 3 times it refused to go from 4th to 5th/6th :D We'll see what's up with that.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand more pics

SKGR
In: Candy White
Options: Game oveR

Re: My Stage 2 1.4 TSI CAVD Scirocco

Post by SKGR »

Very interesting to read. Thank you for sharing this build with us!

Cheers
SKGR
vladandrei51
Wossner Forged Pistons
VWR VW Racing CAI
S3 intercooler
De-Cat / De-Res
03C906036M Injectors
NGK BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
Revised Timing-Chain

Post by vladandrei51 »

Sure thing man, your build was a big inspiration to write all this stuff in the first place. Really curious if you agree with me with the stage 2 when you get it :D
vladandrei51
Wossner Forged Pistons
VWR VW Racing CAI
S3 intercooler
De-Cat / De-Res
03C906036M Injectors
NGK BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
Revised Timing-Chain

Post by vladandrei51 »

Got my interior trims professionally painted black. No more sloppy plasti dip :)

I don't think pictures make justice here, the shade of black might not match like before but in real life it looks so much better and professionally done.

Also got the rear debadged, left just the vw logo. Planning on getting rid of the front VW logo in the near future. We'll see if I can find someone to do it for me.

spuf

Post by spuf »

Looking "tziplã" :D
Keep posting pictures, it's a beautiful ride!
vladandrei51
Wossner Forged Pistons
VWR VW Racing CAI
S3 intercooler
De-Cat / De-Res
03C906036M Injectors
NGK BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
Revised Timing-Chain

Post by vladandrei51 »

Thanks man, appreciate it.

Thought about you when I created the topic and felt bad I've lost the pictures from fitting the new pistons since you explicitly told me to take as many as I can :(

"Good" thing is, last weekend I've managed to scratch the front bumper bad enough so the insurance company would get me a new one (unintentional, of course).

Guess it's the perfect time to get the lowering springs, am I right? :rolleyes:

On a more positive note, here is a random pic I took of the interior yesterday and I thought it looked pretty neat, I'm in love with how the inside of the car looks now

Question, is anyone here with 35mm HR lowering springs kind enough to measure the distance between the front bumper and the ground just to have an idea of how low the car is gonna be? As you might tell I already have some issues with the standard car's height due to our roads (and my driving skills :D )
vladandrei51
Wossner Forged Pistons
VWR VW Racing CAI
S3 intercooler
De-Cat / De-Res
03C906036M Injectors
NGK BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
Revised Timing-Chain

Post by vladandrei51 »

Long time no post.

Got my new front bumper fitted in by the insurance company, everything looks literally good as new :P

In other news, I parked the other day near another scirocco, seems like I was right, the car was definitely lowered by the the previous owner, one less thing I have to worry about :nod:

I also got a forge bov adaptor for the twincharger, the sound is definitely subtle but is there. I was expecting and hoping for something more... obnoxious let's say but for that price, we're good to go.

Installing gave me a little headache after I fitted in the adaptor I can't seem to be able to put back a hose and a pipe (pcv pipe I guess?).

The hose won't get secured because of the DV and if I hook the DV to that sensor or whatever that is and move a little the pipe now the screw won't go in :rolleyes: . At the moment both the pipe and the hose (does anybody has any clue what it does?) look pretty tight but I wouldn't leave them like this.

Any tips?

Lastly, one more pic from the interior at night because I'm personally in love with it

Masser98

Post by Masser98 »

Hi mate, really interesting read as I have the same engine but in a mk6 golf. I was just wondering if you just used an OEM Audi S3 intercooler? If so how did you attach the charge pipes to the S3 intercooler as I’m sure they have different connectors to the stock one. Im looking to make this modification to my car. Thanks.
vladandrei51
Wossner Forged Pistons
VWR VW Racing CAI
S3 intercooler
De-Cat / De-Res
03C906036M Injectors
NGK BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
Revised Timing-Chain

Post by vladandrei51 »

One of the pipe did fit (but my mechanic had to cut it) and for the other my mechanic found one that'd work in the junkyard from a Jaguar or Mercedes (can't recall) and fit that one. So yeah, that's definitely not plug&play and did cause some headaches :nod:
vladandrei51
Wossner Forged Pistons
VWR VW Racing CAI
S3 intercooler
De-Cat / De-Res
03C906036M Injectors
NGK BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
Revised Timing-Chain

Post by vladandrei51 »

Long time no post :)

Finally bought some parts to solve some old issues I've been having namely:
1. The wastegate flap has a little play in it, in dyno runs at mid-high rpm it boosts only to 1.1-1.2 bars yet ECU demands 1.4. Plus it's got that annoying buzz sound :( Bought a used turbo, went for 03C145702P instead of 03C145701T which I have currently, basically is the new turbo code from 2011, ex-owner said the car has less than 50k km but who knows, the turbo itself looks solid.

2. in neutral at idle there's this knock sound that goes away when I press the clutch, some say it's the bearing, some say it's the clutch spring; anyways, I bought a new LUK clutch kit, clutch didn't slip at all or anything like that but time to go I guess :)

Will get them installed next Tuesday, can't wait =)
spuf

Post by spuf »

Yees, you like to keep busy. :D
Good luck with the clutch, maybe you will also order the ballpin on which the fork rests.
vladandrei51
Wossner Forged Pistons
VWR VW Racing CAI
S3 intercooler
De-Cat / De-Res
03C906036M Injectors
NGK BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
Revised Timing-Chain

Post by vladandrei51 »

Thanks for the advice, do you happen to have a part number for that? Couldn't find anything specific for scirocco to save my life, only BMWs.

Forgot to mention, I've switched all the interior interior lights to white LEDs and put on some rice-boy blue LEDs for the rear license plate, I kinda dig it though, what do you guys think? :shrug:

Furthermore, yesterday I fixed a god-awful rattle which I thought was coming from the rear seats but instead it was from the warning triangles from the boot (or whatever are they called), thank god for my gf who found the culprit, it made my blood boil everytime I would drive on not-perfect roads.

I've also bought these 2 bad boys to convert halogen to LED, as detailed here in the last post http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 39&t=26086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not expecting to get them shipped in less than a month tho :rolleyes:
vladandrei51
Wossner Forged Pistons
VWR VW Racing CAI
S3 intercooler
De-Cat / De-Res
03C906036M Injectors
NGK BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
Revised Timing-Chain

Post by vladandrei51 »

Got my new clutch and turbo fitted.

As far as the knock from the clutch is concerned, the middle of the disk, where the bearing goes was rattling really bad and was kinda loose, not sure if that was the culprit, the springs are rattling even on the new disk if you were to grab the clutch and shake it in your hand, the old bearing was looking good too. But everything is silent now, which is good.

I find it funny that the original clutch still had some meat left (for even 50k more km if I were to drive like a granny) yet I'm on my second gearbox and still the car isn't always very happy with me when I try to go into reverse. Fuck me. :fall:

Turbo: night and day difference, no more buzzing sound, the power delivery is much more linear and car feels a little bit faster (since now it's boosting the whole 1.4 bars instead of 1.1-1.2 at high rpm). Plus the turbo kicks in like 0.5 seconds faster, doesn't sound like much but it's really noticeable.

Also, got my LEDs, wating or the LEDs adapters :)
spuf

Post by spuf »

No photos? :(
vladandrei51
Wossner Forged Pistons
VWR VW Racing CAI
S3 intercooler
De-Cat / De-Res
03C906036M Injectors
NGK BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
Revised Timing-Chain

Post by vladandrei51 »

My hands looked like I dug up a grave so was not really in the mood of taking pics :D I can show you how my turbo gasket from the downpipe looked when we put the new turbo in. (spoiler, the bottom half of it was burnt).

Anyways, put a new gasket in there, the guys from the exhaust shop offered to take a look and they said that the bolts from the lower side were a little unscrewed/loose either from vibration/my stiff suspension or they didn't screw it hard enough in the first place :rolleyes: . They made sure everything is nice and tight and concluded that now there's no leak there (obviously) but they said if I ever run into issues they will get a new gasket from me and use special screws to make sure that thing doesn't move anymore.

Funny thing is, my exhaust is so loud that you couldn't even hear the leak, only when engine braking there was a "bzzzzzzzz" bassy-sound, but didn't think much of it since the turbo was shot anyway.

And for the good news, my adapters and my LEDs came today, I hope I can get them installed this weekend, super excited :)
SKGR
Options: Game oveR

Post by SKGR »

vladandrei51 wrote:Long time no post :)

Finally bought some parts to solve some old issues I've been having namely:
1. The wastegate flap has a little play in it, in dyno runs at mid-high rpm it boosts only to 1.1-1.2 bars yet ECU demands 1.4. Plus it's got that annoying buzz sound :( Bought a used turbo, went for 03C145702P instead of 03C145701T which I have currently, basically is the new turbo code from 2011, ex-owner said the car has less than 50k km but who knows, the turbo itself looks solid.
)
Hello there! I think i am experiencing the same issue with the wastegate. I made a video about it and i can show you on facebook!

Thank You
SKGR
vladandrei51
Wossner Forged Pistons
VWR VW Racing CAI
S3 intercooler
De-Cat / De-Res
03C906036M Injectors
NGK BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
Revised Timing-Chain

Post by vladandrei51 »

Sure thing :) check your pms
yeduwigo

Post by yeduwigo »

always fresh and in great quality porn https://1080ppornlist.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by yeduwigo on Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
vladandrei51
Wossner Forged Pistons
VWR VW Racing CAI
S3 intercooler
De-Cat / De-Res
03C906036M Injectors
NGK BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
Revised Timing-Chain

Post by vladandrei51 »

Finished the LED retrofit today, I've bought LEDs for interior lights / sidelights and plate number, now it was time for the headlights themselves :nod:

Unless you buy something like this: https://www.ledperf.co.uk/h7-led-bulbs- ... 30215.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , you're pretty much out of luck with and you will require adaptors, to adapt the adaptors and take off the headlight from the car.

People here recommend getting something like this (which are golf 6/7 etc adapters) Image

However I found that for me they don't fit in the headlight's socket. It simply doesn't have the same "pattern" with the socket itself so it could stay tight.

After I gave up trying to fit those, I've bought golf 5 LED adapters

I'm not sure if the first ones didn't fit because my car is from early production years (although I don't think they did any changes to the headlights proir to the facelift) or I was just plain stupid and couldn't figure it out but I'm just sharing what it worked for me and what didn't.

After that, you need to buy whatever LEDs you want and get the headlights off from the car (10 min job, just be caerful not to scratch the headlight or the paint)

Now, these adapters don't exacly fit "out-of-the-box" either. I had to rely on sandpaper to be able to twist it.

Put the LEDs into place, plug them up, pray you got the polarity right (both my wires were red for some reason :shrug: ) and plug the headlight in.

I'd say it's a 1-2 hrs job if you get the right adapters and tools to get the headlight off (torx keys)

Here it's a youtube video on how to do it " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

Oh, and don't forget to adjust the led's down :rolleyes: when I first put the LEDs, the headlights were on the lowest position and adjusted manually even lower as well yet the beam of light was super high.

See for yourself :D

I don't believe pictures make justice, neither at night or during the day, but since I know @spuf will ask for it, here's a pic with both LEDs installed

In real life it really looks OEM-like, both LEDs and sidelights are crystal white. In pictures LEDs appear brigther than they actually are and also sidelights appear yellow-ish for some reason.

In the future I will buy some high qualiy LEDs with a 1 year warranty and keep the ones installed for the high beam or something.

In caseI won't post here during holidays, Merry Christmas and a happy new years :D
Last edited by vladandrei51 on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
vladandrei51
Wossner Forged Pistons
VWR VW Racing CAI
S3 intercooler
De-Cat / De-Res
03C906036M Injectors
NGK BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
Revised Timing-Chain

Post by vladandrei51 »

Oh, and also, after barely touching the car for more than a month (having a suspended license sucks) I've noticed that I get slow-exhaling-like sounds from the BOV (?) sometimes after upshifting and accelerating. Probably the BOV adaptor is leaking or something (really hoping that's the case). If it continues to do that even after the holidays I will just take it out. Which is a bummer because it grew on me and also that place is super hard to reach but such is life :(