Rattle Noise when coming off accelerator Please Help !!!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
james_smith1
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: ..

Rattle Noise when coming off accelerator Please Help !!!

Post by james_smith1 »

Hi Guys,

I am new here and have recently purchased a 2.0 TSI Scirocco (2009) but i am getting a strange rattle sound when coming off the accelerator. Car is fine when idling, accelerating through the gears and only occurs when you take the foot off the accelerator you get a weird rattle noise which sounds like a chain problem but im not sure.

If any one could help that would be much appreciated i am taking the car into the garage on Thursday to determine what it is but as i have no clue i could be stung or alternatively i could have a problem with my timing chain which is also not good.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Kind Regards

James
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Rattle Noise when coming off accelerator Please Help !!!

Post by Cuprabob »

If it's only happening when coming off the throttle it's unlikely to be the timing chain or tensioner.

It could be the wastegate rattle that is common on the 2.0 TSI or simply a loose heat shield.
Billc
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: Dynaudio, DCC, bi-xenons

Post by Billc »

Cuprabob wrote:If it's only happening when coming off the throttle it's unlikely to be the timing chain or tensioner.

It could be the wastegate rattle that is common on the 2.0 TSI
The wastegate rattle is only when under load.
Bill in Norfants
a4gee
Options: Winter pack,Parking sensors,Dynaudio,Tyre indicator,Pano roof,GT steering wheel badge,VW Mats, rubber/premium,Headlight and led upgrade interior/exterior,Metal pedals inc foot rest,HK sills,R lights,Cup holder for rear,Concealed ashtray,Auto coming home headlights.

Post by a4gee »

I`ve had that noise since nearly new lol
Nothing to worry about.
james_smith1

Post by james_smith1 »

Hi Guys,

Many thanks (Cuprabob) i took it to the Garage and i bought a clip for the wastegate rod and had it fitted, noise has completely gone and engine sounds lovely and smooth again with no nasty noises.

I would suggest doing the same (a4gee) as its not meant to make the noise lol.

Many Thanks Again !!!
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Glad my suggestion worked :)
a4gee
Options: Winter pack,Parking sensors,Dynaudio,Tyre indicator,Pano roof,GT steering wheel badge,VW Mats, rubber/premium,Headlight and led upgrade interior/exterior,Metal pedals inc foot rest,HK sills,R lights,Cup holder for rear,Concealed ashtray,Auto coming home headlights.

Post by a4gee »

HI James,

Erm, maybe your right. Where did you but this piece? (I was told it didn`t do any harm to the running?)
james_smith1

Post by james_smith1 »

Hi a4gee,

I purchased the part from Amazon - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take it to a garage ask for the clip to be fitted to the wastegate rod i was only charged £25 for the fitting so it shouldn't cost any more than this.

I dont think it will affect the running but when the rattle occurs it means the wastegate rod is loose and if it gets worse nothing it could lead to more problems.
a4gee

Post by a4gee »

Brilliant, I`ll have a punt on that

cheers :)