Driving Position Ergonomics....

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Mattvtr1k
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box

Driving Position Ergonomics....

Post by Mattvtr1k »

Is it just me, or are the pedals/steering wheel in the Scirocco weirdly spaced compared with other cars?

I'm struggling to find a seating position that allows me to get my legs either straight out, or in a position where there's no strain on my right knee while driving (old cartilage injury playing up!).

If i move the seat back enough so my leg is ok, the steering wheel then doesn't move back far enough, so my arms are stretched, which means I end up leaning forward out of the seat when turning sharp corners.

I don't think I'm weirdly sized at 6'0, 32" inside leg...

Anyone else found similar?
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Re: Driving Position Ergonomics....

Post by Kev »

I always felt like I could have done with the steering wheel about 3-5cm closer but I got used to it. I had the seat a little bit more upright that I would have liked, to compensate.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

I assume you've tried adjusting the reach of the steering wheel in and out? It took we a little while to get the ideal driving position but I got there in the end.
RoccoTom
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Indium Grey
With a: Manual box
Options: Cruise control
Auto folding mirrors
'R' side sill strips
Luxury mats

Post by RoccoTom »

I'm the same dimensions as you, Matt, and I know exactly what you mean about the positioning. The other thing is that the door is very long, so unless you have the seat quite far back, you have to reach back a long way to grab the seatbelt! I've got used to the seat position, but do find myself leaning forward occasionally, and my arms are almost straight to reach the wheel (and any passenger behind me is a little cramped!).
Mattvtr1k

Post by Mattvtr1k »

Cheers for the replies, aye I've pulled the wheel as far back as it will go, but with the seat back as far as I need, the wheel is still a bit of a stretch.

Guess I'll just have to get used to it...

I'm starting to find other wee things on the car that will start to annoy me :rolleyes: I'd best start trawling the forum for details on DIY activities and how to get started with VCDS!
Billc
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: Dynaudio, DCC, bi-xenons

Post by Billc »

The only driving position position grief I have is the angle of the steering wheel. With the middle and bottom of the wheel in the right place the top of it is slightly too far away. Fix the top and the rest is too close! It's only a tiny difference of course but such things make a huge difference in finding a comfortable position.

Btw, I find anyone 6' tall to be highly abnormal. I hope this helps ;)
Bill in Norfants
Mattvtr1k

Post by Mattvtr1k »

Haha, thanks Bill :)

Maybe I should change the wheel for one of those dished rally style ones... that'll bring it a bit closer.

Would be a stretch to the DSG paddles tho!!