Buying a Scirocco 2.0 TSI for remap

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
paul123

Buying a Scirocco 2.0 TSI for remap

Post by paul123 »

Hi
I am looking to buy a Scirocco 2.0 TSI and have a stage 1 remap. I have a budget of up to 10k but would consider more if needed. Is it worth buying an older one with a low mileage or a newer model with a higher mileage ? I will only be using it at weekends so will only probably do 3k per year maximum.
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks Paul.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Buying a Scirocco 2.0 TSI for remap

Post by Cuprabob »

...as long as you buy one which has the updated timing chain tensioner fitted.
Andy b
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Night Blue
Options: Black 18" interlagos wheels
Truffle leather
H&R lowering springs, 30mm drop
VW sill kick plates
Alive tuning stage 1 (248hp/322nm)
Helix organic clutch
R8 coil packs

Post by Andy b »

Also budget for an uprated clutch

The clutch in my 65000 mile 2012 2.0 tsi didn’t cope with the stage 1 map and slipped when giving it the beans

I went for the helix organic clutch and also replaced the dmf at the same time, can’t remember the total cost right now, but will update if I remember
RoccoTom
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Indium Grey
Options: Cruise control
Auto folding mirrors
'R' side sill strips
Luxury mats

Post by RoccoTom »

Is there any particular reason for wanting a remap? Why not just buy an R instead and save yourself the hassle (and potentially increased insurance premium)?
If you do go ahead and do a remap, I think it's advisable to go for DSG transmission rather than manual.

Tom
paul123

Post by paul123 »

Thanks for your replies all. Much appreciated !! An R is outside my budget if I'm honest and car crime is pretty bad round here at the moment. I want to keep this car for at least 5 years so want to make the right choice. Was going to have the updated chain belt tensioner replaced if not done so already. I have noticed some cars advertised have had it replaced but I suppose there is no way of knowing for sure if it is the uprated one fitted.
Is the DSG gearbox reliable ? I've read its really expensive to replace of it goes wrong so might consider what Andy has done and replace it.
Thanks again.
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Paradox1 »

paul123 wrote:Thanks for your replies all. Much appreciated !! An R is outside my budget if I'm honest and car crime is pretty bad round here at the moment. I want to keep this car for at least 5 years so want to make the right choice. Was going to have the updated chain belt tensioner replaced if not done so already. I have noticed some cars advertised have had it replaced but I suppose there is no way of knowing for sure if it is the uprated one fitted.
Is the DSG gearbox reliable ? I've read its really expensive to replace of it goes wrong so might consider what Andy has done and replace it.
Thanks again.
Keep the TSI, there isnt much difference between it and an R. All can be upgraded to the same power etc.
Definitely worth upgrading the tensioner though. Search on here and you will find the correct part number of the revised part.

DSG is usually reliable as long as the services has been carried out. They car support more power that the typical 6 speed manual clutch
paul123

Post by paul123 »

Just a quick update,remap has transformed the way the car drives, wow, why you would ever need to go above stage 1 is beyond me but as I initially feared the clutch has started to slip. The car has done 50k. Slips from about 3000 rpm upwards if you accelerate really hard. Was considering going back and having the torque reduced but looking on this forum an uprated clutch is I assume over 1k. Didnt do a rolling road test but remap is around 300 ft/lb now according to remapper who I would highly recommend by the way. I have read that some people have said that it takes a while for the ecu to reprogramme itself. Thoughts anyone ?
Thanks.
Elkidgro
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pure White

Post by Elkidgro »

Did you update the timing chain?
paul123

Post by paul123 »

No spoke to my friend who works for vw/audi and said no need unless you get that distinct rattle on start up.
paul123

Post by paul123 »

Just to update you clutch was knackered at 50k miles but caused by the clutch release bearing. There was a bit of uneven wear on clutch plate but flywheel was still in good condition. Clutch slippage was only noticeable after the remap and sods law clutch is not covered under warranty. Had the tensioner changed as well as a precaution as car was registered mid 2012. As it was, the new tensioner was fitted but they are now fitting version 11.. Really happy with car now after remap.
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Paradox1 »

Glad you got the tensioner done. Sometimes when they rattle it's already too late.